New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Blaze Orange
 Login/Join

posted
Arts,
Come all the way east. In Maine, two items of orange are required and one MUST be a hat. Maine never required a hat only.

The lady that Janus talked about was not in her backyard. She heard a shot and ran 156' into the woods to tell the hunters that a new house was nearby.

When she hollered the deer that was shot got on his feet and the hunter shot it again and hit the woman, the hunter never saw her.

Two grand juries failed to indict the hunter for anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Guide, I know all about that, and know Maine has sound and logical orange requirements. And I will come hunt in Maine--if I can ever draw that damn moose tag I keep applying for!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kinda like the argument you hear from motorcycle riders that don't want to wear helments. "I have a right to die". Unfortunately, its not that simple. What about incapacitating trauma. Who pays for the care and feeding of the vegetable for the rest of his life? Who tends to the bed-ridden cripple for the rest of his life? Who pays for the councilling for the hunter that shots at an animal and his pass thru shot kills (or worse yet, cripples) some guy in a ghillie suit? Am I correct when I assume that all you non wearers carry on your person a notorized statement absolving the hunter that pops your ass? Probably not but I'll bet you've got your lawyer on speed dial on your cell phone.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New York is trying to pass a blaze orange requirement for Big game hunting, 250 in. I know that it is safer, But I believe I can dress myself. I guess that means a hat and a vest.What do some of you use with the requirement.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In ND all that is required is a cap and vest(144 sq in front and back) of blaze orange.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana requires 400 SQ Inches above the waste. I use a reversable coat and/or a vest.

The coat is nice as I can go back to a regular coat when I am in town.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

NC requires a person to wear a hat or cap in blaze orange or an outer garment in blaze orange visible from all sides while hunting everything except doves, waterfowl and turkey.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Better safe than sorry. Alot of loonies in the woods. I always wear orange in NY

Posts: 2582 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado requires 500 Sq inches and it must include a hat. I use a blaze orange hooded sweatshirt when it is cold and a light vest with a ball cap when it's a warm weather hunt.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worn a hat on a few hunts downstate on opening day. I hunt mostly now on my own land and forever wild state land and I very seldom see a another hunter. I just don't like the state telling me what to wear. I've hunted other states where they require it, but I've haven't had buy my own vest/ jacket. Since 2000 I've only hunted Idaho out of state and they don't require it. I don't think your ever going to stop all accidents Till people are held responible for their actions. SHOOT A HUNTER GO TO JAIL!!! there is no excuse for improper safety. Reguardless what you wear.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When alberta did away with the hunter orange requirement the number of accidental shootings did not increase.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
bbruce-Here in Idaho it is not required to wear anything for that matter.But in some places I hunt,I choose to wear an Orange vest and my Hot Pink Kenworth hat.Some people where I hunt wear nothing but full camo,mostly local folks.Most just wear there levi's and flannel or wool.I think it should be up to the individual what to wear.But if there are alot of hunters around,I opt to use the orange vest.

Best of luck...Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bbruce, I agree with you completely.Orange doesn't cure stupidity .'Hunters' that shoot at sound or movement should be prosecuted. NY was the first state to require a hunter safety course and that did have a great effect in reducing what is incorrectly called an "accident".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in New Mexico, then lived many years in Colorado. In both states, hunter orange is and has been required for a long, long time while hunting big game with rifle (not bow, I don't think muzzleloader). Basically, the requirement is above the waste and includes a hat. I agree with the law 100%. Even when hunting states where it's not required, i.e. Idaho, Nevada (where I live now), Kentucky when living there, same for Kansas, I ALWAYS where my orange vest and hat while hunting big game. I have never seen the slightest indication that animals spot you better. To me, it is common sense, and while I hate laws and hate to see things like this required by law, I feel every rifle hunter should where the orange (all it takes is a vest that can be worn over anything), and since too many don't have the sense to do it, I consequently agree with the need for a law. Why someone would go afield to rifle hunt without the basic orange vest and hat is absolutely beyond me. It hurts absolutely nothing and can be a definite safety benefit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It hurts absolutely nothing and can be a definite safety benefit.

While big game animals are colorblind,animals can see different shades and especially contrast.Sharp eyed game like sheep and goats can see blaze orange much easier than dull colors that blend in.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Arts-While I agree with most of your post I don't see the need for it to be a law here in Idaho.Were still wise enough to make our own desicions from time to time.In Idaho A hunter must deside from a distance if it is a Buck or a Doe and then whether it is Whitetail or Mulie and if it applies take your legal shot if presented.If all this is done,there is know need for Orange as humans are not the target.I do agree there are some idiots out there,but why should we all have to pay for a few nut cases?

I personally wear it when around alot of hunters but it is my choice.There are some here that wouldn't wear it if it was a law and some of the game wardens agree,off the record of course.

Have a good day..Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Take it from a hunter who has been diagnosed as being colorblind, blaze orange works!

Saftey is no accident, and why some people would place an eaysier stock over the well being of another person is beyond me. Its always the other guy who has an accident and causes someone else to get shot, but the sad fact is that it does happen. There are a million ways that people get shot and blaze orange is one good way to prevent it.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no reason not to. if you are worried about spooking deer, spray paint some v's or something on it to break up the pattern.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What makes blaze orange stand out so well is it goes into the ultraviolet range. Deer and other animals see ultraviolet better better than humans do. When you wash clothes in products like Tide, Cheer and others, that clain to brighten clothes; well they do as they add stuff that rebuilds the ultraviolet material in the clothes. There are washing products available that will kill the ultraviolet properties of clothes, including those in blaze orange. You can still see the orange, and still be withing the limits of the law, but that orange vest will be less visible to deer and other animals.
I got that from a friend who is a big time archery hunter. he doesn't have to wear the orange, but treats his camo clothes with the special detergent to kill the UV treatments. He passes that info in every Hunter Ed class he teaches.
In Arizona, it isn't mandatory yet. Considering some of the jackasses I've run into during deer and elk seasons though, methinks wearing it might be a damn good idea.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mention the UV blockers above as I figured everyone knows about that and uses the stuff. Is it not common knowledge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no requirement at all in BC however I usually wear my blaze orange hat anyways.
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr, could you explain to me/us what hunter orange looks like to a color blind person? Thanks.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Missouri, the regulations state, "...required to wear a hat and also a shirt, vest or coat of hunter orange (also known as daylight fluorescent orange or blaze orange) so that the color is plainly visible from all sides while being worn. Camouflage orange does not satisfy this requirement."

I don't mind wearing hunter orange. Most deer are spooked by picking up the hunter's scent or movement long before they detect patterns or UV on the hunters' clothing. Also, I like to know exactly where all other hunters in the area are before I raise a rifle to my shoulder. The orange makes it a lot easier for someone as blind as me to pick them up.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What makes blaze orange stand out so well is it goes into the ultraviolet range.

Not quite right. In fact, blaze is clear at the other end of the spectrum, closer to infrared rather than ultraviolet. And that high end of the spectrum where all the red hues reside is basically seen as browns and tans by ungulates and many other species.

You are correct on the UV brighteners, however. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wstrnhuntr, could you explain to me/us what hunter orange looks like to a color blind person? Thanks.

Colorblindness is largley a misconception. There are two common types of colorblindness, one cant see red, the other green. All the other colors of the rainbow are still there. In fact, for years I didnt even know that I was colorblind! My problem is with certian shades of green, I can see some of them, the rest appear sort of gray.

At one point in time I thought I might like to be an air traffic controller for the FCC, I took their color test and the lady couldnt believe what looked to me like light shades to dark. Her dumbfounded look was simply priceless as she said, "does that look right to you". Afterwards I asked her to line the little colored dots up in their proper sequence for me. So she did, then I gave her much the same dumbfounded look, wondering how someone as colorblind as her got that job, and then I went on about my merry way.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, blaze orange is MUCH eaysier to distinguish in the field then the red that was once used here.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outlines and movements not colour are what game pick off, picking a spot with adequate cover and beaking will mean more than the camo you employ. However when using camo it only makes it more effective but certainly isn't required to harvest game.

In Sask. we must wear a suit consisting of solid colour (Yellow, White, Red or Orange - no camo blaze!) during a rifle season. Any other season you can wear whatever you want. I will tell you it hasn't effected my harvest any when I had to trade in the bow or muzzy with camo for a rifle and coloured suit. I also wash all my gear with no brighteners solution and air dry to reduce UV, I figured most did the same as well.

As to safety sure it can make a difference provided the hunter is aware of his/her surrounding and thinks! However as many have stated some just don't think or get blinded by the excitment of an opportunity, in this case a beacon wouldn't be a safe enough item to be wearing. Alberta has shown colours aren't the reason for accidents but rather it lies within the lack of proper judgement, so I agree it isn't the answer to your safety. I feel no better entering the woods in orange suit come opening day vs if I did with a camo suit. It is my belief safety must fall upon our own shoulders, we must hunt safely for others who don't take the precautions we may, it is not fair but what alternative do you have. Their are many ways to do this! I surround myself with hunters who are on the same page as me when hunting in a group, if they are unsafe they are off my invited list for good(only takes one laspe for a mistake of a lifetime!). Another way is choosing to remove myself from the crowd, I simply hunt where others aren't. Most slobs are lazy in our area so very easy to distance yourself, thank god. If I find another hunter my area, I just move to another area why chance it and with more feet, smell, etc your odds are reduced. Another solution is hunt days when most are not in the woods, take off a weds and work the saturday instead if possible.

Any safety items is only useful if all are participating, like a seatbelt you wear one but your passegner doesn't if a bad accident should happen who is at fault? I say both, as you could have made 2 others choices to contol the outcome;

A) make them wear a seatbelt

B) tell them to walk

In the end both would be in a better place vs the other outcome!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In Sask. we must wear a suit consisting of solid colour (Yellow, White, Red or Orange - no camo blaze!) during a rifle season.

And since the rifle season occurs in november when the ground is usually covered with snow most people in the part of saskatchewan where I grew up chose to wear white since it blends in with the snow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And since the rifle season occurs in november when the ground is usually covered with snow most people in the part of saskatchewan where I grew up chose to wear white since it blends in with the snow.

Stubblejumper, no arguement their. As your aware one must wear a hat of yellow, orange and red(white is not allowed) to help distinguish from a possible white backdrop. It never has made sense to me why white in Nov. but I did ask a CO once who stated it was for the other rifle seasons that are when the leaves turn colour and white is actually a better option. Of course during Elk or Moose season one could make an arguement that yellow, red and orange might be pretty good camo as well. It is up to the individual what they want to wear and really I don't think many even think of it as safety but rather as just a regulation that they comply too.

As mentioned it may help for those who are aware of surrounding and other hunters but I really don't believe it is a key to my safety. I will relay a sad story from years ago while moose hunting that proves that colours don't always matter in terms of safety. 2 brothers were pushing bush, while pushing the one brother swore he saw a buck 100 yards away he scoped it and yes it was a buck. A shot rang out and it was followed by a moan, he knew something went seriously wrong and rushed to where he had shot only to find his brother with a hole in his red suit bleeding to death. He swore he saw a deer and antlers as well, it was novemeber with heavy snow and his brother was wearing a brand new scarlet red suit that his brain did not register. It resulted in one dead brother, the grief and guilt felt has took the other brothers life as well.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, the NY proposal was vetoed by the Governor back in Sept. 2003:

"Gov. Mario Pataki vetoed 3 bills of interest to sportsmen. (It is good to know that he can do something right sometimes.) The "CANNED SHOOT" act would have banned hunting in all game preserves no matter how large they were and had many other flaws. The "TRAP ID" bill was suppose to end the requirement that trappers put their name and address on each trap and allow the DEC to issue an ID number that the DEC would look up when requested to do so. The reason this change was requested was that anit-trappers have been taking the information off of traps and then harassing the trappers, even posting the name and hone number of the trapper so that people from across the county can place phone calls to the trappers at all times during the day and night. It would have been a good change but the rumor is that at the lat moment the bill was changed without any one knowing in ways that were not accepted by the trappers and they had requested that the bill be withdrawn. The "BLAZED ORANGE" bill would have required that you wear 500 sq. inches of blaze orange any time you were hunting for anything. That is a lot of sq inches to ware and birds see in color so that would have been a problem." - taken from http://www.ocshooters.com/newsletters/03/09.htm#veto

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
When does it become,choice or a law?How many laws do we need?I use Hunters orange and it has a place,but to get a ticket for not wearing it is another thing.Laws are laws left up to the officer at hands option.

It does not have to be a law!!To many already..

Just my opinion...Jayco.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you mean they did not already have a blaze orange law!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree about too damn many laws and I don't like laws, per se, but this law has no bad effects and does have good effects. If it's not forced by law, too many people simply don't do it. The only people ticketed are those that don't wear the orange vest and hat and they need to be ticketed because they have thus demonstrated that they won't use common sense and wear the orange. I also agree that in specialty hunts such as sheep and goat hunts, where there are very few people out, it is not warrented. I also think it is rather silly for small game hunting, but for rifle big game, i.e. elk, deer, & pronghorn hunting, it is a pure winner. Wouldn't it be nice if it could be enacted without a law, but it won't work. Too many dummies have to be forced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Too many dummies have to be forced.

It is the dummies that don't identify their target or use common sense that cause the problems not the color of a hunters clothes.Unfortunately stupidity can't be legislated out of our lives.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I agree but,Idaho has eight units that you can still hunt during the rut with any weapon- aka in September.Also you can hunt a Bull or a Cow Elk without a draw with the same tag.Times are changeing and luckily Idaho isn't following the tread as in Hunters Orange and others.I am sure it will change,but for the time being,Idaho still listens to its people.The legislature doesn't want hunters orange yet.

No more laws for hunters or gun owners....Jayco.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear blaze camo even though here in Georgia an "unbroken" pattern of 500 sq. inches is required by law. No warden I've met has taken me to the mat about it as I generally wear blaze gloves and cap as well. I do a lot of still-hunting and I believe in orange.

Preventive measures are not quantifiable because you cannot tell how often they have worked. I've little doubt blaze has saved many, many lives and prosecuting the careless hunter is little consolation to the paralyzed victim who left his orange at home.

I think the cap is most important as your head is the first thing to come into view of other hunters in many instances.

I've had plenty of turkeys and squill (damn you Mortie!), which I understand are not color blind, stroll past me and my blaze orange.

The other reason besides safety I like orange is it helps me confirm other hunters in the area I might otherwise not have known about. Then I may decide to abandon the area for a fresh one. Likewise it lets others know you are there and they may decide to leave your immediate area to let you hunt it out.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear orange camo if it meets the requirement.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Erict:
You are correct that bill was Vetoed,However in this session the 250 in. Bill, is the New and improved Bill. Right now it's in committe.However from my source it's expected to be voted on this year.(Essex County conservation league President)They made changes for bow hunters and turkey and coyote/varmint hunters. However I view this as a control law. We have had season after season of safe Hunts. Yet Big Brother still wants us to wear his orange. In the adrondacks we only have Buck Hunting except during Bow and Black powder. You have to see horns before you pull the triger. If you shoot someone It's no accident!!! I don't wear much camo, but I don't wear orange often either. I just want to be responiable for what I want to wear. If it the choice of wearing orange in order to hunt I'll wear the orange. In the mean time I'll call my rep's and let my view known. Thank you for adding your imput. B Bruce P.S Please don't give the arguement that If it saves one life it worth it. Quote from Ben Franklin "If you give up a little liberty for a little safety you deserve neither" Teach your Kids or some other young person to hunt safely. Quote B Bruce

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know the blaze orange regs for Wyoming?

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I echo the commments of arts and western hunter. Here in utah on the rifle hunt it is compressed into 8 days, 5 days in some areas. It is getting to the point that all you see is redneck road hunters. These are the same people who also tend to sight in their rifles and conduct target practice with their auto loaders during the damn deer hunt. believe me with all theses jackasses around one would be just as dumb as they are not to wear hunter orange. I think it should be required everywhere. also a question unrelated I was looking at idaho's rifle hunt and it appears that most hunts are at least 3 weeks long. It always struck me that utah's 8 day hunt was too short and put too many people out there at a time, how long is your hunt season in your state???

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Reed-Wyoming- All big game hunters must wear one or more exterior garments (i.e. hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest, or sweater) of Hunter Orange. (Exception: bow hunters during special archery season.)

Link to all Hunter Orange Rules for States.

http://www.ihea.com/ihea/horange.php3

Jayco.