THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    One reason not to carry a gun in bear country

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One reason not to carry a gun in bear country
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Grabbed from the 'throne': Man on camping trip survives outhouse bear attack

By msnbc.com staff

A 65-year-old Canadian man had a trip to the outhouse that he’ll never forget.

Gord Shurvell of Winnipeg says he was doing his business when a black bear barged in and attacked him, leaving him with scratches and a head puncture wound, before his friend shot the animal.

<br>
Follow @msnbc_world

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shurvell recounted his tale of survival to CBC News on Wednesday.

He said he and his friend, 63-year-old Daniel Alexander, were on a camping and fishing trip near Dunbar Lake, about 37 miles north of Sioux Lookout, Ontario, when the attack happened early Saturday.

Advertise | AdChoices

He told CBC he went to use the bathroom, leaving the door open so he could enjoy the morning view, when the bear barged in.

"I'm sitting on the throne, and my feet are sort of up on the 'poopstool,' we call it," he told CBC.

"So I'm kicking at him to get away, but he grabbed my pants that were down around my ankles. And that was the start of it, and he just kept coming."

He said the bear got a hold of him by the right shoulder and dragged him out of the outhouse toward the bush.

“I’m screaming for my buddy to come with a gun,” he said.

Alexander was in the cabin when he heard the commotion.

"I started out of the cabin and something clicked in, and I thought 'bear.' I turned around, went back into the cabin and got the gun," Alexander told CBC.

Alexander said the bear dropped his friend and turned toward him. That’s when he took aim and shot the bear in the head, killing it.

Shurvell was treated at a hospital for scratches on his head, neck and arms, as well as a puncture in the back of his head.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... maybe there's something here I don't quite grasp, but seems to me a 629 laying on the seat next to me would have been quite handy... jmho Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops,, canada... okay, a SS Puma in 44 mag would make a good toilet paper carrier.. just stick the barrel through the cardboard tube, and you're good to go...

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You,re not supposed to defend yourself in Canada.. "Vigilante justice" is deeply frowned upon.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:
You,re not supposed to defend yourself in Canada.. "Vigilante justice" is deeply frowned upon.
yet ANOTHER reason I don't go to Canada flame

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote