New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Gobi Ibex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
80-100 mounts!!! Damn he must live in a bloody museum! What happens to them all when he dies?
Ibex are even more beautiful than sheep in my opinion and I would get to hunt them, but my father is going during first term at uni so I will miss a Persian ibex hunt + a Slovak stag hunt
I believe that the hunts for Siberian ibex can also be reasonably priced, and combined with maral (Asian Wapiti). They are the biggest ibex in the world and a real trophy....on the other hand hunting in Mongolia is probably a really interesting experience...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slight correction there--the Siberian Ibex is not the largest Ibex, the Mid-Asian Ibex is the largest Ibex.

Comments on hunting in Mongolia--I have found it to be among the most, if not the most, enjoyable place to hunt that I've been to all over the world. As for the diversity, leaving out the 3 sheep (big $$$), the various other oppertunities are about equal whether hunting the Gobi Ibex or the Siberian Ibex, indeed, perhaps more chance to get both gazelles on a Gobi hunt. Also, if you are not an experienced Asian hunter, I suggest that you don't start in some of the old Russian states. The adventure can be very trying, to say the least, and the game diversity really is no better. Mongolia is the place to start. Beautiful country, fine, fine people!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gobi Ibex is, of course, hunted in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia (and China, but can't be imported to the USA from China). The Gobi is in less strenuous terrain than the Altay (or Siberian) that is also hunted in Mongolia (Altay Mts), but don't get the idea that the Gobi Desert is a big flat plain. It is very rugged and you will huff & puff! The Altay generally has longer horns than the Gobi. Other animals that can be hunted on a Gobi Ibex hunt depends on how far you want to travel (within Mongolia) and how big your checkbook is. For starters, both the Whitetail and Blacktail Gazelles can be hunted in basically the same area, and they don't cost a lot. You can add Gobi Argali if you have the dollars. Travel a bit and you can add Hungay Argali. Or you can travel and add Altai Ibex, and if you really want to help their economy, add Altay Argali. A Siberian Wapiti (Elk) can be added to fall hunts, generally requiring some to a lot of travel. The Ibex and sheep are hunted in both the fall and winter/spring. Your .30-06 will be fine, but some long shots are required, giving flat shooting guns a bit of a draw. The Argali sheep are the worlds biggest sheep, the Altay leading the way, but still an '06 is plenty of gun. I use a 7mm wildcat that shoots about the same, maybe a skosh faster than a 7mm Mag. I use 140 gr bullets but want flatness. I have not hunted these sheep with it, only the Ibex, but if I could afford the sheep, I wouldn't hesitate to use the cartridge, all said just to verify that your '06 will be fine and you don't need a big bullet in it--I'd use a 150 gr or 165 gr and get it going rapidly. You can often shoot a wolf in any of the areas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, we discussed ibex hunting not that long ago over on the "World Hunting" forum. Here is one thread that might be of interest?
Ibex Hunting Thread

In general, I don't quite get your wish for taking multiple species, yet selecting the Gobi as your goal? As Arts correctly stated above, you will have the option of multiple species in Mongolia, but probably coupled with a bunch of travelling. Compare that to the Russian side of the border, say, and note that you could take ibex, maral (wapiti), bear, wild boar and Siberian roebuck in the Altai mountains (at least in theory) all in the same hunting area, or at least only a horseride apart. I have never hunted Mongolia, so I hate to sound negative about that country. But your wish to hunt multiple species would make me think of places like the Russian Altai Mountains (just on the border to Mongolia and China), or further south in Kazakhstan rather than the Gobi. Even the Mongolian part of the Altai would probably be a better choice than the Gobi in that respect. In either place, your chance of getting a big ibex will any way be larger than in the Gobi. A horseback trip into either hunting area has to count as a trip of a lifetime.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Alti Ibex a few years ago and it was a great hunt. Took a great animal with 43" to a side. After my Ibex I went onto the east side and hunted Elk. Not nuch else to hunt in the Alti area except sheep which when I was there was about $35,000.00. Little much for me. In the Gobi as Arts stated you can shoot a roe deer and a couple of antelpoe. I do not know that I would hunt the gobi just to take those animals. Ibex in the Alti are much nicer. All in all you can not beat a Mongolian hunt. People are great and you will not be faced with the rip offs as you would in some of the Russian areas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Sevens. I am from Mongolia. I am glad that those of you who hunted in Mongolia were satisfied with their hunts. I went couple times with american and european hunters in ibex hunting in Gobi as a translator. From my experience I would suggest you to go for Altay Ibex. Other game that can be hunted are black and white tailed gazelle, wolf, roe deer, elk, wild boar, brown bear, argali. As for the rifle 30-06 would be fine. But Magnums are better. You may be reqired to shoot across very windy mountain sides up to 300-400 meters. Also better to practice shooting running targets. Some physical fitness wouldn't hurt. Other things guys have covered pretty good. If you need more info let me know.
Davaa
Mongolia

Posts: 77 | Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I seem to get the general vote for an Altay hunt. What is the terrain for it like. I was reading some ibex hunting stories and the hunter was handed his trophie to take back on the plane, is this how it's done? How does that work for the long flight home? I was thinking about getting a 300 wsm in the m70 feather weight, but is it just me, or do they weigh the same as their regualr m70's? I appreciate the help and am still interested in hearing the details about the hunt, such as food, housing, do we have to carry packs, etc. Thanks.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thank you all who replied. I am not particular to any place, but Mongolia did seem to be the best and rather inexpensive if you don't go for sheep. Maybe lucky me, but I don't find sheep to be that impressive. The ibex I think makes a very impressive mount life-size standing in the center of the trophy room on a persian rug. The reason I thought about Gobi is because I can include maybe another Gobi ibex and a few of those gazelles. I did here they were smaller than the other varieties, but they seem to have the least demanding of the terrain. I have never been hiking up a demanding mountain at high elevation, so I figured they would be a good introductory ibex. Russia does not appeal to me as a place to hunt, but a Spanish ibex in Spain sounds nice, but is much more expensive than Mongolia. Mongolia will also be a shorter flight for me.

I am still thinking about the rifle. I may get a new one for the hunt. I was looking at the m70 feather weight, but it doesn't seem to be really light. (I'm looking at maybe a 300 WSM.) I would hate to be restricted by the range of my gun and I need to beef up my colllection anyway. Is weight a big issue on mountain rifles?

It seems that all the animals from mongolia are able to be imported, which is very good. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Boghossian,

The trophy room is something like a museum. I was there for two hours and still didn't see everything. It is all one room and looks extremely beautiful. I was originally going to talk to him about Africa, but his ibex made me completely forget about Africa. I think I'm going to push back Africa to go for ibex. The room is almost filled to the max without looking crowded, but he has 15 more on the way. He had some impressive life size mounts, including a huge Bongo, Lord derby's eland, Lion, Leopards, Golden Takin, Brown bear, sheep of Asia and America, and of course his Ibex. It has given me many ideas and the feeling of, "I got a lot of hunting to do." I'm still in aw, but I was told to wait until I see the trophy rooms on my local SCI trophy room tour. One of which I told is very impressive and consists of two seperate buildings, his trophy room and her trophy room.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,
I am writing a more detailed info for you. Other guys would probably help too. I just can't describe the terrain because i don't know the terrain comparable in the USA. I will try to send some pictures to you later if give me your e-mail address. I will reply to your PM.

Davaa
Mongolia

Posts: 77 | Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

Like you I have been smitten by the Ibex bug. I shot my first last Fall in Spain but I can't wait to hunt the big Asian variety. I viewed a doctors trophy collection a couple years ago and of his 100 or more mounts a 50 inch ibex from Kyrgyzstan was hands down my favorite. That said I saw a picture of a big one from Mongolia that was equally
impressive. Be very careful when you book in the former Soviet Republics. I speak from experience!!! I'm still sore from a screwing I got there on a Bear hunt.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the Altay (also spelled Altai) for Ibex puts you in VERY steep, rough country. Ibex live in considerably rougher country than sheep. In the Gobi it's still plenty steep where the Ibex live. You don't have to worry about carrying a pack, though I always have a day pack with various plunder. You will likely be paired with a driver, an interpreter, and a local guide. If you want, one of them will carry your pack, if you have one. The altitude isn't real high, generally under 9000', even lower. As to food, they will put forth a lot of effort to provide you with "western" food, and do a pretty good job. I put the quietas on that right away, as I can get all of it I want here in the USA; I told them that I will eat their food. Part of the experience, and I found it quite OK. I also mandated we eat Ibex after the kill. Good stuff by my way of thinking, but I had to show how I wanted a couple of loin steaks fried. They basically boil everything, which was fine, but as is my usual practice, I did want to at least try some of the meat cooked the way I like my meat. Very cooperative, helpful people. You will also have at least 1 cook in camp, camp being gers--nice, warm felt tents. It will be equiped with a dung chip stove which a nice lady will come light each morning well before you get up, in fact if you don't sleep real lightly, she will be in, light it, and be gone without your knowledge. They'll bring your food right to your ger. That is fine for breakfast, but I preferred to eat with all the "guys" for super. This took some convincing, but we got there.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm really interested to hear how tropies are gotten home. I hear they are given to you to take on the plane. I am still doing my research, but I think the gobi ibex may be better with the less rugged terrain. I can go back in a few years and hunt the steeper terrain for Altai. Would a hunt during the summer be a bad idea? Please feel free to email pics from past hunts. My email can be found by clicking on my user name. Thanks for the input.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens
Same here. Email me if you need more info. I may be able to send out pics of my trip that show the terrain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM.

Davaa