New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloaders??
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
I have only been handloading for a few short years but from the start decided that I would never again use factory ammo for a hunt. Not sure why, theres just something about not only taking an animal but doing so with my own loads that I specificaly made for the hunt that just takes it one step further for me. Anyone else feel this way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I think it has to do with really understanding what you're involved in. Shooting store bought ammo has no appeal.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't shot big game with factory in over 30 years. there is great pleasure in shooting game with your own loads.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 110%!!!

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only factory ammo I shoot are rimfires and shotshells,and the only reason I don't load shotshells is because I don't shoot them enough to warrant it.Have killed all my big game with handloads,and plan to keep it that way.I know if it goes "click" on a big buck,it is my fault.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I agree. The only thing I do not reload is rimfire and if you could I would do them to

one of us
posted Hide Post
you mean they still make commerical center fire ammo?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I started reloading in 1953 and all my big game has been killed with my reloads. I did "dispatch" a buck with my Woodsman once but that don't count. I did shoot at a doe with my 12 ga slug gun but I missed so that don't count.

<ovis>
posted
Next hunting season will be my fortieth. I've been lucky and have hunted almost everywhere I ever wanted to but something was always missing. I just started reloading and what a difference in the way I look at everything concerning my shooting. Should've done it a long time ago.

Thank God for Alaska, the Last Great Place!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Ovis said above, it gives me a totally different feeling when hunting with a gun.

I used to fish close to 25 tournaments a year and would never even consider using a store bot spinnerbait, buzzbait, jig, and would use very few factory painted crankbaits. If it wasn't hand made or hand paint by myself or someone else I trusted, I couldn't make myself tie it on, especially when money was on the line. I now feel that same passion for my ammunition. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with factory loads would be about like warming the same frozen TV dinner every night and calling it cooking.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Now Y'all need to do some bullet casting too! If you think it is a rush taking game with handloads hunt an animal or three using the bullets you made too!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to totally agree. I get a great sense of satisfaction from casting the bullet, loading the round, cleanly taking the game, dressing it, processing it, and finally cooking it and serving it to friends and family. (If you don't like it you don't get invited back)

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I love handloading too and have shot most of my game with handloads.
But... I bought a used rifle a couple of years ago and with it I got about 15 boxes of factory ammo. I still have 5 boxes left.
Now my dilema is that I have another rifle that I dont have dies for and I cant make up my mind about whether I should get the dies and load for it or just buy 5 boxes of ammo that is sure to last a couple of years for hunting.
I handload for 41 mag the most because it is too expensive to shoot otherwise.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have dies for which I have no rifle, but there's really no excuse for having a rifle for which you have no dies!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, nah, I have a 280 I don't have dies for.

I just use my 7mag neck dies, and use mild loads. Haven't had to bump the shoulder, yet........ LOL!

You mean they actually sell primers, cases, powder and bullets all put together already? Sounds awfully dangerous to me! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I only shoot factory ammo in a new rifle to get the brass & have a benchmark. I have always hunted w/ handloads, & probably always will, w/o ever having any problems.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do I do when my gun likes Factory Federal Classic ammo better than my loads?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Terry,

Keep trying.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<dr280>
posted
Terry,
I'm in the same boat- my 280 Ruger likes Winchester Supreme 140 BT's to the tune of .65 inch groups on average. The best thing is- it's been a hell of a lot of fun trying different loads, powders, primers, ect. I still have come close.... .5 inch groups is my best- but only at 2400 fps. I figure my best load may be my next one......... or maybe not! That my friend- is why I reload.
Shoot straight- but shoot more often.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
This is a very deep question, although on the surface it appears simple. I have always been the sort that wanted to know why, how, cause and effect, what is the sum of all it takes to bring "this" to be, and what are the individual parts/pieces that constitute a finished product. I have cut wood, cured it, turned it into a finished product, all for the knowledge of what it takes. I feel the same about handloading, it provides me with the contact in that part of what it takes to put a venison/elk/bear/beef/fowl/rabbit on the table. I feel sorry for people who have no contact with that process. These are the people who buy their steak in a store wrapped in plastic, yet would condemn me for wanting to hunt for mine. Meat on the table means an end of life for whatever was the source, but when you only buy your meat in the store, the reality of this escapes you, you are buying a commodity, not causing an animal to die so that you can eat. That isolation allows people to lie to themselves about what they are doing and causing. It's just my opinion, but honesty with yourself is a requirement if you want to know who you are and what you are, and what you are capable of. Handloading is is also an enjoyable hobby in it's own right, one that demands of you that you do things right. I was able to expand my own knowledge of shooting, hunting, etc., thru handloading and lots of shooting. It's not for everyone, but I like it and hope to get back into it more one day, perhaps along with casting bullets, swaging bullets, and while I have only built guns up from kits, making a frontstuffer from raw materials would just have to be loads of fun, wouldn't it?

------------------
Good Shooting!

[This message has been edited by 8MM OR MORE (edited 01-07-2002).]

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote