New
Find
Notify
Tools

My best deer yet!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just great! God has blessed you.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Well done Sir!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Awesome Lane....
My little boy is about the same age now....what gun did you find he could handle well there? I need to buy him a little gun here this next year.

I bought a Ruger American in .300 Blackout. I then bought the compact stock which makes it a 12.5" length of pull with a nice soft pad. The barrel is threaded too...can get a moderator to help with muzzle blast and recoil ( I did not).

I was impressed with the kill that little gun made. He was shooting Fiocchi factory loads with a 125 gr polymer tipped bullet of some make. It looks like a ballistic tip. It went between ribs entering but hit a rib dead center exiting and took out a chunk leaving a big exit hole...one little fragment of jacket under off side skin adjacent to the exit hole. He was exactly 79 yards away...buck took 5 steps and died.

Thanks Lane...
I just got a .300 blackout too..I really appreciate the feedback. The LOP (and recoil) on my other rifles are clearly too big..
This may be the ticket!!! Hope to meet you at DSC maybe

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hope to meet you as well sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Awesome Lane....
My little boy is about the same age now....what gun did you find he could handle well there? I need to buy him a little gun here this next year.

I bought a Ruger American in .300 Blackout. I then bought the compact stock which makes it a 12.5" length of pull with a nice soft pad. The barrel is threaded too...can get a moderator to help with muzzle blast and recoil ( I did not).

I was impressed with the kill that little gun made. He was shooting Fiocchi factory loads with a 125 gr polymer tipped bullet of some make. It looks like a ballistic tip. It went between ribs entering but hit a rib dead center exiting and took out a chunk leaving a big exit hole...one little fragment of jacket under off side skin adjacent to the exit hole. He was exactly 79 yards away...buck took 5 steps and died.

Careful, you might have made him a bolt action man when he goes after buffalo and elephant.

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love to see that, It amazes me what some parents give up by not hunting with their kids, grand kids and great grand kids, some of my best memories...I hunt at Lometa and that's pretty close to Gainesville, I love to hunt and eat those wild low fenced hill country whitetail. I do that every year or so!

I have a little 5 cubic foot deep freeze that will hold the allotted 2 bucks and 3 does if I quarter them. its small and fits in the back of my pickup..Ihave a 100 ft. of electrical cord and can plug it in at camp and in a motel while traveling, meat will stay frozen for a week once frozen (overnight) without pluging it in and the unit cost me $144. at Home Depot, cheaper than a Yeti or whatever and does a lot better job...Get home thaw it out enough to butcher and wrap and into the main freezers and Im ready for fishing season..

Stopped on the way home in Post Texas and got some of the worlds best beef jerky from Jacksons meats, its just damn awesome..They ship to anywhere.

Give that boy a big high 5 from me..nice buck.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A HUGE Congratulations to the young hunter. The first deer is always remembered. Also, Good job to the proud Daddy.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bringing him up right Lane. A hearty well done to you both!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Love to see that, It amazes me what some parents give up by not hunting with their kids, grand kids and great grand kids, some of my best memories...I hunt at Lometa and that's pretty close to Gainesville, I love to hunt and eat those wild low fenced hill country whitetail. I do that every year or so!

I have a little 5 cubic foot deep freeze that will hold the allotted 2 bucks and 3 does if I quarter them. its small and fits in the back of my pickup..Ihave a 100 ft. of electrical cord and can plug it in at camp and in a motel while traveling, meat will stay frozen for a week once frozen (overnight) without pluging it in and the unit cost me $144. at Home Depot, cheaper than a Yeti or whatever and does a lot better job...Get home thaw it out enough to butcher and wrap and into the main freezers and Im ready for fishing season..

Stopped on the way home in Post Texas and got some of the worlds best beef jerky from Jacksons meats, its just damn awesome..They ship to anywhere.

Give that boy a big high 5 from me..nice buck.

Will do Ray and thank you sir.

And you are right the best beef jerky in the world comes from Post, Texas.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russel and Gato.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Martin, and a big attaboy to you for taking the time to do everything right!

One thing for sure, neither Martin or you will ever forget that experience! Not much can top hunting with your kids and seeing them succeed!

Good on you both!!!

Posts: 502 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, This is a great thread. My 9 year old grandson Jaxon will eat it up.
That little rifle/cartridge is perfect.
I restocked 30-30 H&R Handi Rifle for Jaxon and put a 4X Kahles scope on it. "Nothins' too good for a cowboy."
I had to smile when I saw that you used an archery deer target for Martin. I did the same thing! Great minds think alike.
I enjoy the photos of Martin and will share them with Jaxon.

Congratulations, Martin!

Thanks for the post. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Great 1st deer.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly guys!

J. Lane Easter, DVM