Find
Notify
Tools

My best deer yet!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I can’t even guess how many deer I have killed in my lifetime and have a wall full of them with 3 that near 180 inches but today I brought home my best deer ever!

Yep...a little 2 1/2 year old basket rack 8 point...

...but the first deer for my 8 year old son Martin.

We practiced all late summer and early fall.

We have made several trips afield.

But today all our work paid off. A buck finally gave him the opportunity and Martin calmly took careful aim with his little Ruger American .300 Blackout and made a 1 shot kill with a bullet neatly placed through the thorax. Eighty yards broadside and that little .300 Blackout exited leaving the lungs obliterated. It is a helluva good kid’s white-tail round.

I was one proud papa!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your post warms an old man's heart. Congratulations to your son and thank you for bringing him up right.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer Martin, so proud of you! Wonderful day Doc, big congrats to you both.

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both. You and your son created cherished memories leading up to and during that hunt -- and that's something money just can't buy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Well done!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you!

Good way to practice for his hunt..... tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2803 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
That’s great! tu2

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always said that shooting game yourself is great seeing and getting your children to do so is even better.

Now I am waiting for the grand son to get big enough.

Tell your son good job.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your new for life hunting partner. The hunt is a great classroom for the development of good character.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Doesn't get any better than that. Congrats to you both, and that is one good looking young man.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Nice work to the both of you and congrats to your son! Heck, I'd be proud to hang that buck on the wall.

Also, I never put 2+2 together and considered the 300BLK a kid's round, but that's an excellent suggestion. Food for thought!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Lane to both you and Martin.

Stories like this make me wish I had been a Dad, but it was not meant to be, so I get to enjoy it peripherally helping other Dad's and Son getting a first deer or hog.

You both have done a great job.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Well done! I expect your more thrilled than your son was.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's icing on the cake of life!

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Well done and well said!

I went through that phase with my kids and am now doing that with grandkids. Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Martin! Your father knows how to be a good father for sure.
This post brings back the memory of my first deer at the age of seven. My dad was overseas during WWII but my grand father was my teacher, till my dad got home, and along with my grandfather and my Dad I had the pleasure of hunting the rest of my life with those two teachers, till both passed into the happy hunting grounds.

Martin treasure your time with your father, as he is your best friend for life!

..................................................................... tu2 old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Way to go Doc. That one will stand out in both of your memories forever.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Job of getting him involved!!!

My Grandson took my great grandson hunting for the first time and that's all he can talk about.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt well done to all
a future Elephant hunter in the making tu2

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys! Couldn’t wait to share with my AR family.

Merry Christmas to all!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bambazonke:
Fantastic hunt well done to all
a future Elephant hunter in the making tu2

I can’t wait to be standing back watching Nigel Theisen and he walk up to that ele either.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for let us share your joy.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Doc! Just outstanding. That memory will last young Martin his whole life. You just got a chunk of immortality.

Congratulations Martin great job!

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

a little 2 1/2 year old basket rack 8 point...

Great post! That has got to be one of the coolest racks I have seen on a kid's first deer.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Well done Lane and Martin!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Lane, and congratulations to Martin. In Texas, first deer rank up there with first cars and first kisses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas—Dad !
You earned it .

Excellent work Martin !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Final installment picture.

Some nice fresh chicken-fried backstrap for supper.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
God has blessed you, and the memories you and Martin are building will always be with you. You are a Lucky Man Sir.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Lane,

That's a fine looking son you have. I'm sure you are very proud of him as I'm sure he is very happy to have killed such a nice buck.

You two are lucky to have each other.

Hold him high.....they grow up fast.

Cheers beer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for the nice posts.

Martin has been reading the thread and he too sends a big thank you sirs.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the boys best day so far.
Congrats to both of you.

Now then, all this time I've thought you were too old for kids that young.

Thanks for sharing such a great day with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I got a late start. I was 44 when Martin was born.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
The start of a great pass time, keep them busy and they won't have the problems that our younger generations are getting into, I started at the age of 7 or 8 shooting rabbits with homemade bows and arrows, the sickness has carried on and as much as my wife tries to cure me she can't and I am a young 69

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Lane....
My little boy is about the same age now....what gun did you find he could handle well there? I need to buy him a little gun here this next year.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
It's great to see that martin was as excited about the deer as you are. That is an amazing first deer. Its also great to see that he was just as involved in the processing as well. Congrats to you both!!!!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Great to see the young guy getting a great start.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Awesome Lane....
My little boy is about the same age now....what gun did you find he could handle well there? I need to buy him a little gun here this next year.

I bought a Ruger American in .300 Blackout. I then bought the compact stock which makes it a 12.5" length of pull with a nice soft pad. The barrel is threaded too...can get a moderator to help with muzzle blast and recoil ( I did not).

I was impressed with the kill that little gun made. He was shooting Fiocchi factory loads with a 125 gr polymer tipped bullet of some make. It looks like a ballistic tip. It went between ribs entering but hit a rib dead center exiting and took out a chunk leaving a big exit hole...one little fragment of jacket under off side skin adjacent to the exit hole. He was exactly 79 yards away...buck took 5 steps and died.

J. Lane Easter, DVM