Find
Notify
Tools

Fisherman kills attacking bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.kbzk.com/news/loca...-the-tom-miner-basin

BOZEMAN — An angler killed a grizzly bear in self-defense this week in the Tom Miner Basin, according to Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks.

FWP says the incident happened this past Wednesday, Aug. 30, on private land along Tom Miner Creek.

Two anglers were walking through dense vegetation when they were charged by the grizzly.

One of the anglers shot and killed the bear. No people were injured

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Got to ask, pistol or rifle and what caliber?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know would like to find out.

Main stream media is very poor at reporting such things.

Some times it takes a lot of digging

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim Miner Basin is Grizzly Bear Central, so I can't figure out why anyone would tempt fate fishing there. I am guessing the fishermen were on Private property, but not sure. Would be interesting to get more facts about the incident, but you wouldn't catch me fishing in that high bear density area.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Second line of the first post states "FWP says the incident happened this past Wednesday, Aug. 30, on private land along Tom Miner Creek."

Tom Miner Creek looks like it would be great fishing, but most of it is in private land.

I've hiked several times there above the FS Campground, and that was the last area that I hunted Unlimited Sheep. Never saw a grizzly.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The most grizzlies I've ever seen in Montana was at Kintla Lake in Glacier. The brochure used to say visit beautiful Kintla lake! Don't! It was grizzly central, a ranger friend told me that's where they used to drop off all of the problem grizzlies.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Defensive" attack, surprised the bear. If you're walking through dense bush, all the experts recommend making lots of noise, so any bear is aware of your presence. Sometimes running water makes that difficult.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defensive" attack,

Why would you call it a defensive attack.

The bear had nothing to fear from the humans.

If the bear just would of ran away it would not had any problems.

Don't bears have a duty to retreat instead of attacking innocent humans minding their own business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear felt threatened and did what Grizzlies do, a lot of people have paid the price for that. Nothing malicious, just an instinctive reaction and common, often it's a bluff charge. Doesn't say if cubs were involved. I see you're from Wisconsin, bet you don't have too many Grizz there. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Human felt threatened.

Did what humans do killed the bear.

I see your from BC most likely don't own many handguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who's the bear psychologist? I've been a dedicated black bear hunter for the past 40 years, and the more I hunt and observe them, bears, like humans, have their own reasons for what they do - and it's far from predictable by humans!

One thing we say about black bears is that they're very smart and UNPREDICTABLE! I'd expect the same could be true of grizzlies! You experts of grizzly behaviour - tell me if I'm wrong.

One thing we know for sure about black bears is their greatest motivation is for "food", and secondly for sex - much like humans, especially hunters!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Human felt threatened.

Did what humans do killed the bear.

I see your from BC most likely don't own many handguns.

But, short barreled shot guns that would get you arrested are legal with us. Big Grin

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, short barreled shot guns that would get you arrested are legal with us

As a LEO shotgun instructor I have had plenty experience with SBS's.

A 14" in Benelli M4 is a heck of squad or entry weapon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to bears

Bears do what bears do for sure.

But giving them more deference then humans is foolish.