Find
Notify
Tools

Are Nilgai bullet proof?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I know they are tough animals but some people make it sound like you need a cannon to hunt them. I would love to hear from people who have hunted them. Caliber, bullet, distance, result, etc...

I would like to hunt one some day soon and trying to see if I need to buy a 375 Weatherby. BOOM

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2. Not bulletproof if you put your shot where it needs to go.

Both with a 300WBY 180gr Barnes. One shot at 200yds or so. Ran 50yds and piled up. Other one shot at 130yds. Dumped him right where he stood.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Of course you "need" a new rifle!! Cool

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Scott, if you study shot placement of the African Gemsbok/Oryx, you should be fine. 7mm, 30-06, 280 etc are fine. Use a well constucted bullet; i.e., no ballistic tip etc. They are not deer, so shot placement is the key. The meat is excellent.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
No not bullet proof:

shot at 150 yards--Sauer 200/9.3x62 286 TSX bullet--DRT shot broke is shoulder.

Shot at 165 yards or so-- Blaser R93 30/06 220 grain cor-lock--ran about 30-45 yards plied up.

Shoot futher foward than you would on a whitetail, and you would be fine with a 270, 30/06,300 win mag,ect.

If I were to shoot a nilgai tomorrow and had to take a rifle, I'd pack my R8 in a 30/06 with a 180 TSX, or my 8x68 S witha good 220 grain bullet, and place the bullet on the point of the shoulder--and I'd be enjoying some more of that wonderful meat!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between my hunting buddies and my family, I've been in on over 60 Nilgai kills. They die predictably well when shot with a bullet that penetrates deep and holds together.The problem with nilgai is that they are wary, athletic and often not standing broadside...in fact, often not standing at all but running.
Best shots for a guaranteed death is a behind the shoulder lung shot. Not dramatic, but effective after a short run. The most lost bulls and wounded and followed up and reshot were usually shot through the shoulders which missed the cardiopulmonary plexus (heart and lung) because they were too far forward and failed to break bone.Neck and head shots are to be avoided--if you miss vertebra or the brain, they're gone.
Recommendations on calibers--300 Mags and above.I have used 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and 416 Rem. Barnes X, TSX, North Forks, TB's, Swifts, NP's all have worked well. Leave the Ballistic Tips and Sierras for others.
I hope you get to hunt nilgai-they're pretty neat. It's a great spot and stalk hunt in some of Texas' last big country.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 12 with 7x57/160 TSX, 308 168/TSX and one cow with a 22-6mm/70gr TSX. Shot placement is key. I shoot for the heart. It seems to anchor them quicker and the ones I have double lunged go much further and do not bleed externally. Premium bullet is a must. I have been present for probably 20 other kills and the results are the same as reported by others.

I remember you having a 338 Fed. Shooting a 210gr TSX would be great medicine out to 300 yards

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:

I remember you having a 338 Fed. Shooting a 210gr TSX would be great medicine out to 300 yards

Perry

I do. I was curious to see what people used because John Barsness swears the 200 Nolser Ballistic Tip is so stoutly built that it mimics the 210 Partition. Also the 200 Hot Cor is supposed to be a very tough bullet at 338 Federal velocities.

I found an interesting study on line that seems to back this up. I guess I could always try the 210 TSX. I also have a 9.3x62 that I could use with 250 Accubonds but I'm interested in what the Federal can do.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-...listics/methods.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:

Perry

I do. I was curious to see what people used because John Barsness swears the 200 Nolser Ballistic Tip is so stoutly built that it mimics the 210 Partition. Also the 200 Hot Cor is supposed to be a very tough bullet at 338 Federal velocities.

I found an interesting study on line that seems to back this up. I guess I could always try the 210 TSX. I also have a 9.3x62 that I could use with 250 Accubonds but I'm interested in what the Federal can do.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-...listics/methods.html

I would not use anything but monolithics. Nilgai are stout animals with heavy bone. I have seen more than one TSX lose/deform a petal under normal velocities. One of my buddies uses a 35 Whelen and switched from the partitions because they were losing so much lead on the bone. he still had plenty of weight left but he felt the TSX performed better under the circumstances. The 9.3 would sledge hammer a nilgai!

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is the fact, and as to why, nilgai do not bleed externally. They have very thick, elastic skin. That is the reason most guides require .308 and up. You do not have big holes in them even with big, expanding bullets. Also their chests are very deep and they tend to hold an incredible amount of blood before it starts to run out. In the bush they live in if they go 100 yards they are going to be a dificult recovery.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 35 Whelen loaded with 250 gr Partitions at a leasurely 2450 fps has rolled two, both running, right now when hit just behind the shoulder passing through the lungs. The guide on the first one was rather amazed and had to have one loaded round to keep commenting on how tough nilgai were. Didn't appear so.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 9.3 would sledge hammer a nilgai!

Probably the wise choice. My 9.3 is a CZ Full Stock with a 1.5x5 VX3. It weighs in a right at 8lbs with scope so it's not heavy. I'm getting 2525 Fps with 250 Accubonds out of it's 20.5" barrel. I bought the rifle from Idaho Sharpshooter with the intent of using it on Nilgai and such.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this is OK to post here, as it seems on topic.
I have a Niglia Hunt fully paid for in South Texas, with WIldlife systems inc. (www.wildlifesystems.com) He has both free range and 25,000 acres high fenced to hunt. I told him I cannot do the hunt anytime soon. He is just holding my paid spot. I would love to tranfer the spot to somebody, at a great discount, presuming Mr. Greg Simons would allow it.
The trip cost 2595.00 I would like to get 1800.00 for it.
Presuming somebody is interested, I would email Greg, and ask him permission, then you would contact him directly. Then you would send me the check. I presume this is how it would work.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they are bullet-proof.....but I do think a .30 caliber with 180 gr. premium ammo should be considered a minimum.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the good fortune to kill 10+ Nilgai. I have shot them w/ a 7 x 57, 30-06 and 338WM--all w/ premium bullets, either NPs or NFs. The 7 x 57 was used at close range at a water hole.
I think you will be better off w/ a bigger gun/bullet. Sometimes you have to chase them or shoot at longer ranges and rarely will you get a pass through---even w/ the 338 and premiums.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do the taste compared to elk?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very fine table fare and comparable to Elk.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Woiteshek:
How do the taste compared to elk?

Apples to oranges.

Nilgai is a lighter, leaner, more supple and sweeter meat. I would consider elk a denser meat with a more robust taste. Both are excellent. Like comparing a blonde and brunette Wink .

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that a taste comparison????? Roll Eyes

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to shoot one a little over a year ago. I shot it with a 180 gr. TSX out of a .300 Win Mag at approximately 250 yards. The bullet passed completely through the animal just above the heart. It ran about 20 yards and by the time I got to it, it was already dead.

Like the others have said, bullet placement is key. If I hunt them again, and I hope to, I wouldn't consider using anything other than a .30 caliber or larger rifle and premium bullets like Barnes, NF, etc.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only "bullet proof" animals are those hit badly.

Hit any animal in teh right place and it will die very quickly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote