THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Fish and game called and asked if we wanted to hunt a big horn sheep???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish and game called and asked if we wanted to hunt a big horn sheep???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brothers and I put in for a few species of game in new mexico including big horn sheep. We where not successful on the sheep draw. My brother got a call from New mexico fish and game asking if he would be interested in a female big horn sheep hunt in pacos unit 45 during September 18th to the 22nd. Her name was Lisa brehill.

This seems odd to me. I'm curious if it's a scam. A message was left so my brother did not have a chance to talk to a human. He called and left a message asking further questions without giving any deep personal information. Is this a normal thing new mexico does or do you guys think this sounds suspect?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know that as an applicant you can check the box if you are interested in population reduction hunts for the species you are applying for. That used to be pretty common with ibex when they were trying to reduce that population to meet the carrying capacity of the Florida Mountains. However, I'm surprised by a phone call. Everyone I know (including me) first received an email with instructions on how to call in to verify whether you want the hunt. I'm not familiar with that name either, and I don't find anything by searching. Of course, if they sicced an admin person on him, I wouldn't know the name. Finally, it's odd that they would do this for bighorns because they are so closely monitored and the population is so well understood. They should know harvest objectives well in advance of the draw and offer licenses accordingly.

I would reach out to a regional office independently of the number this Lisa person provided. The NE office is in Raton: (575) 445-5651. The main office in Santa: (505) 476-8000

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell him to call and get more info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could also be a population reduction due to drought or they could be killing sheep that have come into contact with domestics.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe they name their sheep.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

Canned hunt...

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

I bit my tongue & refrained when I read it. Big Grin Reminded me of the old, "I shot the bear in my pajamas" line.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So my brother called fish and game and the hunt was legitimate. The hunt was for a female only bighorn but the price was the same as a male. As an out of state resident this was over 3,000 dollars. I told my brother to still go on the hunt but he declined. Do you guys think this was a mistake?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
So my brother called fish and game and the hunt was legitimate. The hunt was for a female only bighorn but the price was the same as a male. As an out of state resident this was over 3,000 dollars. I told my brother to still go on the hunt but he declined. Do you guys think this was a mistake?

I think that it was a mistake, assuming that the $3k was the sticking point. Also assuming that they would allow him to keep his points.

I would have loved to have gotten that opportunity when I lived down there.

But it obviously wasn’t that important to him, so I guess that it want a mistake.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He must have committed to a ewe tag.

Not sure I would pay $3000 to hunt a ewe bighorn, when you could shoot a free range aoudad on a West Texas or New Mexico ranch for $4000-6500.

This normally happens for a couple of reasons, the neighbor's wife got called last year for an elk tag.

She got called because she was the 11th runner up to a 10 tag quota and 1 of the 10 was an out of stater that tried to pass as a resident.

Sometimes they need a bunch of stuff shot.

Sometimes they have someone turn in a tag.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I was a little skeptical. And yes, I think it was a mistake.

I would have jumped at the chance, but I'm a resident and it would have only cost me $150 or so. My daughter did that hunt a few years ago and it was a hoot. Didn't get one, but had a great time. If I ever get to go again I'll pony up enough cash to get an outfitter to pack us in instead of going DIY with everything on our backs.

Even a ewe Rocky Mountain sheep would be a great "trophy," though it would obviously be more about the experience than the horns. These sheep can be desensitized to humans, but it's not a canned hunt. You still have to work to get there and find them.

By the way, there are no points in NM, so he was out nothing.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep hunts are pretty cool the experience 100 percent

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 grand to shoot a ewe? That's a hard pass for me personally. No thought required.

If you just want to spend some time in sheep country, take your varmint rifle & predator calls. Whack some coyotes, camp out, glass some rams, good times.

Posts: 449 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Florida Mountains

Now that's the Mother of all oxymorons. animal

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Florida Mountains

Only if it's mispronounced. Wink

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
"Florida" means "full of flowers" in Spanish. So it's literal translation is "Flowery Mountain".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have passed at 3k. Its a cool experience but thats a big time and money commitment for an ewe.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Florida Mountains

Straight up and straight down and right on the Mexican border, south of Deming NM.

My coworkers husband drew a Persian Ibex bow tag there last year and spent two weeks getting his ass kicked by the mountain. He is in his 60's and not as fit as you.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he get his ibex?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badboyz:
"Florida" means "full of flowers" in Spanish. So it's literal translation is "Flowery Mountain".

Yeah, I know. Unlike the state, the mountain range is pronounced floor-ee'-da. There is also a river near Durango, CO that uses the Spanish pronounciation. The road that runs alongside it between Durango & Vallecito Lake, which I've probably driven 500 times, is named Florida River Road.