THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Spend 40 dollars and buy a box of each. shoot half the box of each and find out which your rifle shoots best. Wont amke a bit of difference to the moose, once you find and hit him in the right place. I used 293 TUGs on my last moose, and found the bullets in the off hide. right where yours will be if you hit him ribwise at over 300 yards. and if you hit him at less than 300 yards, then both bullets will probably go through ribs. If you shoulder shoot than neither will go through both shoulders.

In any case same result: Dead moose.

My bull walked up an embankment, died and rolled half way down, rolled onto his back, and spread his hind legs. I was with a guide that just looked at me and asked how I got him to do that? we were eventually able to back up a vehicle within two feet of the bull, and it still took us almost an hour to load the moose into the truck. they are big, slow, and easy to hit. they are easy to kill. BUT they are slow to realize they are dead, and usually end up in the lowest, wettest, most awkward place they can die in. you will have a great hunt. A moose with a broken down front quarter will drop. A moose with a hole in its lungs or even a wounded heart may go for several hundred yards.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished up shooting my 375 H&H with 260 gr Accubonds as the final practice before leaving on my trip to Namibia. This bullet keeps astounding me with it's performance; best 300 yard 4-shot group was right at 4.5", and when zero'd at 200 yds., it is exactly 8" low at the 300 yd distance. Very little cross wind effect was noticable also. I think it would be perfect in a 300, 338, or 375 for elk-moose-bear.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper and jorge: I absolutley agree with both of you. I do think that elk are tougher than moose. I recall an old saying that even if you shoot a moose in the lungs once with a .30-06 or five times with a .30-06, it is still going to take him two minutes to die. I bet the same holds true for many calibers. And I think some .7mms and most of the .30 caliber rifles are adequate to kill both. But for me, I would prefer to have at least a .338 WM or .340 Wby, shooting a 210 gr or heavier NP. A lot of animals are shot with .223s up here because the ammo is cheap. Who am I to question that? I don't question it and, stubblejumper, I don't question your use of a 7 mm or .30-06 on moose and I did not mean to imply that.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote