Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting or Wife/Girlfriend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
So what if you were given an ultimatum by your significant other, either quit hunting or she leaves.

How would you answer ?

I personally would drive right to the supermarket to find boxes so she could pack her stuff faster Big Grin

Question:
So what if you were given an ultimatum by your significant other, either quit hunting or she leaves.

How would you answer ?

I personally would drive right to the supermarket to find boxes so she could pack her stuff faster Big Grin

Choices:
Hunting
Wife/Girlfriend

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
No woman should make it past the "girlfriend" stage to become a wife if she didn't approve of hunting.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup Blacktailer has it right. she would'nt get past the probationary period.
My wife hunts with me, so we never get in a rowe over hunting.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goodby seems civil enough.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Anyone that would give you that ultimatum would be someone you'd split up with in the future anyhow. If you can't respect someone for who they are, then you aren't going to have much of a relationship. Might as well get it over with sooner then later.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Paul!

"either quit hunting or she leaves". You tell her, Dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

A woman like that would not get past a first date.

Any woman that gives ultimatums is a control freak. Thats not a relationship.

Who voted for the girlfriend/wife?
Whats next on her list of things you most give up or shes leaveing? Sucker!!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Right on Paul!

"either quit hunting or she leaves". You tell her, Dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

A woman like that would not get past a first date.

Any woman that gives ultimatums is a control freak. Thats not a relationship.

Who voted for the girlfriend/wife?
Whats next on her list of things you most give up or shes leaveing? Sucker!!

Now I know why I'm still single Smiler
Actually, in all fairness, there are many great sportswomen out there, and that is awesome to see.

Who is the one vote? boohoo

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
No woman should make it past the "girlfriend" stage to become a wife if she didn't approve of hunting.

What he said!! That was my first thought, how would you get the far.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Last night, my wife asked me if I would like to join a few of her co-workers on their annual North Dakota pheasant hunt.

Methinks we have answered that question in our house..... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trophy mounts lived with my, at the time, girlfriend long before I did. Now, we're getting married in April and we're going to RSA in May for a plainsgame hunt for our honeymoon. I keep trying to convince her to go to the rifle range with me, just in case she gets the itch to take an impala or something.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife has always hunted with me. She is country girl clear through. So far we have hunted for 37 years together. Like they say, a good marriage is not finding the right person, its being the right person.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Answer: Honey, can I help you pack? roflmao

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
You now know the reason I'm divorced. Ex made a similar ultimatum to me. My to stepchildren (both adults) still call me dad and blame their mother for the divorce.
By the way, if you know of a woman hunter between 40 and 50 who would like a retired Air Force Officer and college professor... Big Grin

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While at dinner with several PH's and friends in Reno 2 years ago, my wife admitted to them she had finally had enough and put her foot down. Seems she had counted and I hunted 90 days that year!

52 of my weekends equals 104 days, add 20 days vacation and you get 124. That's just barely enough to get by, but it leaves me 60 for hunting and 60 for fishing; the extras are for her birthday-anniversary-Xmas-Thanksgiving. She's happy now.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SouthpawDV:
she would'nt get past the probationary period.

Spot on...
Took my girlfriend,now wife,to Alaska on a bou
hunt.She passed.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I told my wife before we married she would be a widow for 3-4 months a year, She agreed. Had to make sure before I signed the dotted line. Heck, it oughta be in the contract. Yea, they could put that right next to that hidden clause that says I'm giving up my sex life.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Over the past 32 years of marriage I've participated in Hunting, Bass Fishing, Big Game Saltwater fishing Etc,etc,etc.
Whenever we have seen; the insignificant other of a friend demand it's me or the fishing or hunting. It was the beginning of the end and nothing more than a matter of time before it ended completely.
Most of the time the calculating bitch had you give up your sport and sell down your stuff so there would be more cash in the settlement for her.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am glad I have never had to make that decision, but if it was a girlfriend she would be gone. My wife knew I hunted and she accepted it and now has to deal with it. gunsmile

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being twice divorced I guess I'm an expert. Just think of all the room you have in the house with her stuff gone for guns and hunting gear. You might have to get another house but it would be worth it.I do compromise a little now I take my girlfriend somewhere warm in the spring for a few days, I go to the pawn shops looking for guns and I golf she lays in the sun. I get from Oct1 (bow opener)to Dec 31 end of bow season to myself. Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
chain
On your Next wedding night,tell the wife....
This marriage is till death we do part,
How long that is ,is all up to you.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up hunting and most of my fishing voluntarily for the first wife, because she bitched so much about it, it was hardly worth it.

Finally had enough after 20 years.

Now, I've been with someone for 20 months, and told her right up front that the summer is hers, but the fall, winter and most of the spring are mine. I don't go every weekend by any means, but I'm not going to give up my 10 days for moose hunting or week for deer hunting. Any vacation days after that, she's welcome to them.

We still have separate houses, but have recently moved to discussions of getting a place together. I've made it clear that part of the criteria for the new house will be a place of sufficient size for my stuff, including mounts. And not some deep, dank corner of the house, either.

In fact, we've been focussing on country properties with large, heated drivesheds, so I have a "sanctuary". Smiler

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My spouse travels a lot, and since a lot of it is int'l travel, she is gone on weekends a lot. She could care less about my hunting.

In fact, the other day I told her I booked a buff hunt in Africa and she said "Good."

She doesn't pull the trigger, but she has been with me on hunts in Scotland and New Zealand. We backpack a lot (going to the only backcountry trail we have not yet hiked on the south rim of the Grand Canyon on Thursday) and camp a lot. We have some land in Colorado bordering Natl forest and her favorite vacation is to camp there.

She is the most energetic woman I have ever met. She went to India on a 100 mile run over 5 days at 11000 feet, including one marathon. She left India on her last evening, flew to Amsterdam (all night flight) then to Phoenix via Detroit (all day flight), got home, mowed the grass, did the laundry, and then caught a redeye to Boston (all night flight) for a meeting on a Sunday afternoon.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am indeed fortunate in that my wife is supportive of my hunting, and even goes along on some of the trips. I guess the best final reply to one that put her foot down would be,
"Gosh, Honey. I'm really gonna miss you."

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How does the C&W song go? "I gotta bite....."
jumpGeorge

Hunting, fishing, roping, golfing, working, eating, sleeping, loving. Not always in that order.

Posts: 17 | Location: Red Stick, LA | Registered: 25 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Went one a one week plains game safari during a four week honeymoon in Zimbabwe.

The wife said it was OK as she said she knew I would just go back by myself a month later anyway.

Got it right, from the beginning.

And she did enjoy the hunting safari part of it as well as the rest of the honeymoon too.

Now planning a second honeymoon to Tanzania including another hunt (of course! - you have to be consistent Wink) as well as sightseeing. Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
No GOOD woman would hand out that kind of ultimatum. If you cave in on this one, what other part of your life is she going to cut off and throw away?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never ever marry a woman who does not prefer venison to beef. Then that problem will never occur.

And don't even date a vegetarian, no matter how hot she is.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
If a girl has a problem with hunting I don't think she should ever be upgraded above bootie call status

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to go for gals that hunt.Its hard because some say they hunt and they really dont.I have converted a few from antihunters to almost hunters.They wrapped meat and ate it with me.You cant go too hard on them just ease them into it.I still have two guns of each kind to take gals hunting with me.I only had one who couldnt handle my hunting .I hunt as many days as possible in a year and usually take my gal with me if she will go.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
as far as I can tell, staying married is all about being willing to compromise some and change some

I didn't even hunt big game when I got married, but I did fish quite a bit

though it has been tough at times, as I've become increasingly "possessed" with big game hunting the last few years, my wife has managed to adjust... though it has taken discussions and a willingness for me to sometimes reign in the amount of time afield...

It seems to me if you a woman really loves you, how can she ask you to just give up something you love?

that's hardly fair, and not a compromise

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife hunted with me a fair amount during the courting phase. About a year after we were married she said that one day a month was all I could go. I packed the Ryder truck for her. Never saw her or my stepdaughter again. It broke my heart about the step daughter - she was just an average full of life little girl. She liked to go shoot and kill ground squirrels.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
My wife is very excited about our up coming trip. I am going to try to get her to shoot something while we are there.. she shoots at the range on a regular basis and is a very good shot..

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'ld counter w/ "give up your shoe collection & shopping & we'll talk".

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both wifey and I work nights so we are together for most of the day. All I have to do is change the chanel from soap operas to Hunting chanel and She suggests I go hunting.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote