New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utimate antelope rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having antelope withdrawals and have been giving thoughts to buying a rifle just for antelope hunting. So what would be your ultimate antelope rifle? A 264win, 257roy, 270win, 7mm wsm.....

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first man ever to wildcat the 25-05 had visons of antelope instead of sugarplums.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Given the antelope's physical makeup and the ranges involved, my vote goes to the 257 Weatherby and 100gr factory loads. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle I usually employ for antelope is a a Remington 700 .243 Ackley Improved with a 27 1/2" Shilen SS barrel and H-S Precision stock. It wears a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14xAO scope, and shoots 95gr. Ballistic Tips into sub-MOA out to 300yds.

George
P.S. Yes, it's a push-feed. Big Grin

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a .300 Win Mag, .270 Win and a .257 Wby for antelope.

Of those calibers, I liked the .257 Wby loaded with 100 grs TSX the best. It is a bit hard on the meat, and it it is more susceptible to wind than larger cartridges, but boy-oh-boy does it have a flat trajectory! When I go again next year, the .257 Wby will get the nod.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS, good looking rifle, what caliber is it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I do not own one, probably the finest antelope rifle cartridge is the .257 Wby Magnum.

I personally usually shoot antelope with a 25-06, though I admit to using a 7mm Wby Mag a couple of times.

Just this last August my buddies and I went on another antelope hunt in New Mexico. I used my tried and true 25-06 and was lucky, I shot a great antelope buck at about 125 yards.

My buddies both used .257 Wby Mag rifles and both of them made great one shot kills at over 400 yards. Both of them were shooting 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at over 3600 fps muzzle velocity.

The guide was much impressed and he even commented that after watching his hunters over a number of years, he thinks the .257 Wby Mag is the ultimate antelope cartridge.

Am I going to get rid of my 25-06, no way! But the .257 Wby Mag is a GREAT antelope cartridge!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the utimate antelope rifle is the 264 win mag.I shot two does in Mt last year on altlerless tags at 350 yards.I used Lapula mega tip bullets and it fliped them dead in their tracks.I always wanted a 264 win .I was so pleased with the stainless Ruger model 77 I bought that I bought another one.It shoots 3/8"groups at 100 yards and around 3/4" at 200.Its an awesome caliber.If it came out today I think it would do alot better with the new powders and bullets of today.I am glad I finally got two but wish I had gotten one 20 years ago.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
GeorgeS, good looking rifle, what caliber is it?

Sorry, Mark, it's a .243 Ackley Improved 40 degress (I've edited my post to reflect this).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to have my antelope gun in the next few weeks. It is a 6.5-300 WSM with a 28 inch barrel. It should be a real laser.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mark, the ultimate antelope rifle is very hard to pick.

The various and previously named calibers will all exceed the hunters expectations. I already own what I consider the ultimate antelope medicine and that is a plain 270 WIN.

My Ruger 77 MKII wears a 25.5" Hart bbl and will smoke any antelope in N.A. In fact, after loading the little 110 grain TSX in my brother's rifle and seeing what it will do, I can't think of any reason why it doesn't fit as an ultimate goat rifle. (Pacnor bbl, also 25.5")

But, my intuition tells me your question expresses a desire for a NEW rifle.

That is where I go back to the basics and ask myself questions.

1) How windy is it in antelope country?
2) Just how far is my bullet/caliber of choice going to buck that wind at 200-300-400+ yards?
3) How readily can I find factory ammo in the event my loaded slugs don't make it or misfire, etc.
4) With years of feedback from western hunters taking goats with a 22-250 at 400 or less yards, shouldn't anything that caliber or larger work?
5) probably the most important question: What do I WANT?

For me, if I were to buy or have built, a rifle specifically for the task of antelope, I would open up my load books at compare various calibers like:

6mm Remington
Ackleys in each case

257 Weatherby
257 Allen Mag

6.5x300 WSM (serious consideration)

I would seriously consider the 270 WSM!! Customize it with a 27" bbl and launch a 110 or 130 grain bullet. That is the one I've been looking at for a year now.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, after loading the little 110 grain TSX in my brother's rifle and seeing what it will do, I can't think of any reason why it doesn't fit as an ultimate goat rifle

Hmmm.... I used a 270win on this last hunt, used a 6.5x55 on the first, loaded with 140gr Accubonds. I like Barnes bullets, use them in my 35whelen and 300wsm, so may look into the 277 110gr TSXs. What kind of velocity are you getting?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Antelope are not hard to put down so you don't need a big bullet, just one that shoots flat out to about 400 yds. Anything from a 243/6mm to 7mm would work great. Personally I use a 7-08 or 6.5x55 SE. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 6.5/284 Win!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anything better than the .257 Weatherby with 100 grain bullets at 3600 fps or so as an antelope rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If I were building a rifle w/ just antelope in mind, a med wt. bbl. 6.5x284. For the non handloader, a .270 is probably ideal. Mine, a .280 & maybe my .260ai for backup.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark65x55: I just happen to own "THE ULTIMATE ANTELOPE RIFLE"!
Before I tell you what it is and what scope I have on it let me fill you in on my past experiences!
I have been Hunting Antelope since the late 1960's and often Hunted both Wyoming and Montana each year! I have harvested at least 50 Antelope!
Yes, I have taken Antelope with 22 centerfires and they worked fine for me on the occassions I used them.
I have used many calibers for Antelope Hunting including the following:
22-250 Remington
220 Swift
243 Winchester
6mm Remington
6mm Remington Ackley Improved
240 Weatherby
257 Roberts
25/06 Remington
270 Winchester
7mm Express
280 Remington
7mm Remington Magnum
308 Winchester
30/06
300 Winchester Magnum
and probably a few others I have forgotten!
But starting three years ago I began using THE ULTIMATE ANTELOPE RIFLE!
It is a Remington Model 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester! This amazing Rifle is just like a death ray on Antelope! I have killed 4 dandy Buck Antelope with it so far - all with one shot apiece!
This Sendero Model Remington 700 (if you are not familiar with it) has a 26" long, heavy (Varmint weight) blued barrel. It has a wonderfully comfortable to shoot (from any position!) Varmint style fiberglass stock! The scope I chose for this ULTIMATE ANTELOPE RIFLE was a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm variable scope with Du-plex crosshairs! Another reason I went back to the 270 Winchester caliber which I had used extensively in past decades was, the new bullets that are available now days!
I chose the wonderful and flat flying Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tip for use in this Rifle. The Rifle/scope/bullet combo leaves NOTHING to be desired while Hunting Antelope or high plains Mule Deer!
The only modification I have made to my Sendero is that I did a trigger job on it myself!
Hopefully I will have taken another nifty Buck Antelope with this Rifle in a week or so!
I very much prefer the mass of this Rifle when it comes to shooting under field conditions out on the high plains! I would not hesitate to take a 450 yard shot on an Antelope with this splendidly accurate Sendero, if the need be!
The wonderful 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip flies fast which also means flat and straight! Well suited for my ULTIMATE ANTELOPE RIFLE!
Long live the 270 Winchester!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old prewar mod 70 300 h-h with a 6x leupold worked pretty good on a 14 inch buck and a doe both right at 200yds---180 interlocks at 2950-no more meat damage if as much as a smaller rifle in fact i was glad i had those 180s cause the wind was blowing pretty good like it always is in S.DAK-this was last saturday.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like Barnes bullets, use them in my 35whelen and 300wsm, so may look into the 277 110gr TSXs. What kind of velocity are you getting?

I do not know. I never had the chance to chrono those last loads. I used about 56.0 IMR4350. What I can give you is trajectory, as shot in WY.

3/4" high at 100, ZERO at 200, 3" low at 300. That was all we had time to shoot when we got there.

Unfortunately, my bro has his 270 with him in SC for deer so I will not get the chance to check vel. until he brings it back.

But, He dropped his antelope (did you see the picture?) at 91 yards and there was NO CAPE DAMAGE and only trace amounts of MEAT DAMAGE. Looking at the animal, we couldn't find the entrance hole until it was skinned, and the exit hole was small also, but heck, who cares...the bullet dumped him on the spot. My brother put it right in the center of the shoulder. Big Grin Which is right where I told him to put it. Bang, flop. Or, because it happened so fast, should I say BA-OP with a ng-fl somewhere in between.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
257 by Roy on a Win 70 new crf action, rust blued 27" Krieger w/ slim contour, quarter-sawn English stock in classic style and checkered by Sherry A., a clear 4-14x scope mounted in D'arcy Echols custom mounts, and the finishing touches by Herr Scrollcutter.

Thank you, Santa! I'll send the rest of the details as I make them up... thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm having antelope withdrawals and have been giving thoughts to buying a rifle just for antelope hunting. So what would be your ultimate antelope rifle? A 264win, 257roy, 270win, 7mm wsm.....

I have taken about 40 in my life time with several calibers from the .44 mag pistol to a .375 H&H. If I had one rifle dedicated to strictly antelope I couldn't think of a better round than the .25/06. Recoil is minimal and the trajectory is flat. You can find ammo just about any where it is sold if you don't hand load. If I couldn't get a .25/06 my second choice would be the .243. Same reasons as above.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I shot mine at 261 yards with a browning A-bolt in 270 WSM. I was using winchester 140 grain failsafes. It dropped my antelope in his tracks, so I'd say it is a pretty effective antelope rifle.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me , it would be the old .264 mag . 120 gr spitzers at 3400 to 3500 fps , depending on barrel length........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I shot mine at 261 yards with a browning A-bolt in 270 WSM. I was using winchester 140 grain failsafes. It dropped my antelope in his tracks, so I'd say it is a pretty effective antelope rifle.

Way to go Al. I was wondering how you did.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.260 Rem.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Up until this past year, my antelope rifle was a .25-06 with 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. This year, my buddy and I took our 6.5 WSMs (yes, wildcats) with 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips (sounds like a broken record) and took one Monday, the second on Tuesday. Mine was a measured 443yds! Couldn't resist.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there's another 300 H&H just a little further west of South Dakota here in Montana. I love that rifle. Ain't fer sale at any price. I have never found antelope too difficult to kill and I've done the deed with a 257 Weatherby at just shy of 300 yards. It was impressive! But I still like my 300 H&H

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mark, I have your answer. Last night I was reading in a new magazine, I think it is Buckmasters GunHunter. In that article there is a really nice debate on "high speed/small bullet" vs. "slower but bigger bullets."

Yes, it is written by gunwriters...Towsley and Thornberry, but it was still interesting.

In a nutshell, a smith named Ferguson developed a "Hot Tamale" as he calls it, 25 caliber rifle.

It is the 7mmSTW necked down to 25 cal. Spits a 100 Grain Barnes TSX at roughly 4000 fps. This guy, Ferguson, took this rifle testing PO Ackley's theory (and self proven) "velocity is KING" method of taking game.

This little 100 grain bullet sunk a bull elk and a Bison before he went to Africa. Then, while on safari, he downed several head of big game that normally would be taken with a much larger caliber. Allegedly, every game animal dropped so hard, the head hit the ground before the rear.

So, there you have it. Get a "Hot Tamale"----the 7mmSTW necked down to 25 cal, and the 100 grain TSX at 4000fps. Aim and shoot to 500 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, thanks for the info but I'll pass. I have been doing some research on using the 110 TSXs in our 270s. Where did you find load data? I e-mailed Ty at Barnes last night and hope to get some info from him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good success with a Remington 600 in 6mm caliber. Light rifle suitable for days of walking and stalking, accurate, and powerful enough to down a trophy lope. We have to remember that antelope aren't built as tough as deer, and therefore take less gun to put them down.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good choice! 110 TSX has certainly convinced me.

As far as load data, well, I did what Ty told me to. I looked at other bullet makers load data in 100-110 grains and went from there.

I looked at Speer, Sierra, and Hornady. I also looked at older data from Barnes in their 120 X bullet. I did an average of minimal charge in IMR4350 and worked up until I had an acceptable printed group of 3. From there I did 5 shot strings and fine tuned seating depth, which by the way can be tricky with that short bullet.

You are somewhat at the mercy of that 110 TSX as 1/3 of the bullet bearing surface need to contact the inside of the neck when seated. (if I recall).

The reamer used to cut my brother's 270 happens to be perfect for that little bullet. My Hart bbl allows for the bullet to be seated further out, so when I seat the bullet deep enough for proper bearing contact, I have a bit of jump...about .06. Regardless, I still printed just over 1/2" groups with the same powder and charge, using 5 shot strings.

If I can catch him, I'll get my brother to take a picture of his loaded ammo and email it to me. I'll post it then with OAL and the RCBS Precision MIC reading.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mark, here's what the 110 TSX looks like seated for my brother's rifle. This is just to give you an idea.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if I am qualified to discuss the ultimate antelope rifle ( I have yet to ever hunt them....I have 4 preference points however in Idaho so it should be soon) but my partner built a LH Browning Medallion with a 28" Cut-rifle barrel chambered in .257 Wraith. It is a .300 RUM shortned by about .200, and necked to .257. He shoots 142 grain ultra low drag rebated BT at about 3650. I am sure there are far more important characteristics for an antelope rifle but this one shoots flat and far.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That 110 TSX 270 looks like it might just "dethrone" my favorite, the 257 Weatherby. Can you give us some particulars? MV, ballistics, etc? thanks, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Jorge, I apologize for not being more thorough, but my brother chose this little pill last minute before our antelope hunt. What happened was I was rushed to find HIS load. Having past experience with Speer, Hornady, and Sierra bullets in 90, 100, and 110 grain weights, I knew IMR4350 would be a top choice. As previously posted, the trajectory is VERY flat to the first 350 yards or so. In fact, just today, my brother reports sustained 3" low groups at 300 with the same 3/4" high at 100 while in South Carolina. At 425 yards, he reports 8" low and a 4" group with a bipod. So, even aiming in the top third of the kill, a heart shot is still likely. We can live with that.

As tough as Barnes bullets are, you could substitute that longer than normal 110 grain solid copper TSX slug in a 270 for all deer sized needs 400 yards and under. That antelope's vitals were mush as usual and the shot was only 91 yards. Now, the obvious criticism of the TSX or other Barnes bullets is that it is too tough for light skinned game especially at closer ranges and the petals peel off.

Well, I stand by my personal accounts and what I've witnessed. From yotes to elk, the TSX is a fairly inexpensive, incredibly accurate, bullet that has never failed me.

Jorge, did you see our pics of the antelope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
--- I have a .264 and researched it boucoup , before buying it many years ago . --- I chose it because I figured 140 Grains , in a well constructed partitioned bullet was about minimum for all but the very heaviest N. American Big Game . --- I also wanted Elmer Keith's recommended Min. 270 Sectional Density . --- and finally I wanted 3300 FPS , for reaching way out .
--- There's not many cartridges that can fill those requirements , -- and if they do , and are more powerful , -- a whole lot of Recoil and Muzzle Blast come with them , ( I can shoot the .264 comfortably ; which is only to say that it's within my threshold of Flinch and Pain ) .

--- Use a very slow SPHERICAL / BALL powders ( like Accurate 8700 ) to get your 3300 FPS ; -- the Sphericals are also easy on the throats of these fire-breathin' monsters , -- and you'll retain accuracy for many times longer than with IMR .

The .264 only becomes superior with a 26 Inch Tube . -- If you're going to go 24" , -- might as well buy a classic .270 Win . --- .264 Mag. is a true Over-bore Cartridge and needs the extra 2 " to get up speed -- then it excells ! --- Boat-tailed 140 Grain Bullets are key to the concept . ( All IMHO ) .

Other prime possibilities are Weatherby's new .257 Weatherby , -- in the SUB-MOA model -- probably one of the all-time best BARGAINS in the world of Guns . -- Guaranteed accuracy that you can always improve on with handloading ; -- Real tack drivers .

The 7MM Rem. Ultra-Mag is another terrific choice , but watch out for that vicious Blast and Kick .

----------------------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Doc: Yes I did view your pictures in your album. Thanks for sharing. The YSX might be a bit tough for goats at that range but they are so slight of frame that anything will put them down. I think the 257 with 100gr Hornadys is a little bit flatter, and I'm sure the TSX is even more aerodynamic, but in my experience, that 100gr Hornady kills all out of proprtion to it's size and bullet construction. I've gotten complete penetration on 200 plus LB hogs. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I chose it because I figured 140 Grains , in a well constructed partitioned bullet was about minimum --- Boat-tailed 140 Grain Bullets are key to the concept . ( All IMHO )

I agree with your assessment of the 264...but where do you find a "well constructed partitioned, 140gr boat-tail bullet?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmit Guy The last time I looked at a reloading chart The 280 Remington & the 7mm Express were the same fellows !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Ultimate?? I'd vote for a .257 STW or 6.5 STW.

Ultimate/practical?? Gimme a 25-06.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote