THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Who hunts with a "braked" rifle and how do you protect your ears??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who hunts with a "braked" rifle and how do you protect your ears??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
what do you guys use for ear protection when shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake while hunting. DO you stop and put ear protection in before shooting>

Seems like that could be cumbersome walking through the woods??? thanks!

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have a braked Browning Stainless Stalker in .338 win mag and it is not very loud so I dont use protection, unless im at the shooting range.

My friend has a Browning A bolt Medallion with a boss in .300 win mag and it is defeaning. I have a pair of those sound dimming ear plugs that are called Peltor Tact 6's and they are great. You can hear perfect and then they deadin the sound once you shoot. I got the pair with the backband so that I can still wear my ballcap and be protected

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
DO you stop and put ear protection in before shooting?
yep.

quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:Seems like that could be cumbersome walking through the woods??? thanks!

nope. the ear protection is hanging around my neck. no problem, no hassle.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use E.A.R., Inc. electronic hearing protectors that were molded to fit my ear. They take the pain out of shooting braked handguns and are comfortable to wear all day.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my fingers in my ears before I pull the trigger!!!!! Cool

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own a rifle which required me to use plugs. I can't imagine stalking thru the pines in search of a bull elk with A) ear plugs in or B) knowing I need to put in ear protection before I shoot. Sounds like more of an annoyance than whatever gained energy is worth.

That is just me, shooting my whimpy 280.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a chinese version of Walker's game ear bought from Natchez. They amplify if you wish, but have a circuit which blocks the loud bang nevertheless. About $35 each.

Since then, ('04) I don't use the brake while hunting. I had a thread protector made to replace it. The brake is on only for shooting at the bench.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I wear ear plugs every day at work, so I'm used to having them hang around my neck. I probably put them in and out 50 times a day, so it's second nature to use them. Last year, when I shot my deer, I put them in for the shot but afterwards I couldn't remember doing it. After a while it comes natural, sorta like taking the safety off.

Nashccat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a pain in the @$$ to have to use earplugs while hunting. Is recoil really that big of a problem? I mean even when shooting my 458 off the bench I just roll up a gun case and use it as a recoil pad to get thru the sighting in session. It kicks but I would never "brake" it. The 338 just isn't that bad to need one. My 300 Wby. feels like it kicks harder than everything else but break it, never.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
what do you guys use for ear protection when shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake while hunting. DO you stop and put ear protection in before shooting>

Seems like that could be cumbersome walking through the woods??? thanks!

Fitted ear plugs that hang around my neck for pistols (if I remember to put them in). No brakes on hunting rifles, ever.

Career choices I made predating OSHA caring about hearing obviate too much of a need anyway. I do, however, very much dislike my friend's braked .460 and won't hunt with him if that's his choice because the blast is nasty and he never warns you.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lost hearing in my left ear due to years of no protection. Now I use Sportears all the time when hunting.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i made the mistake of braking my 338 lapua and once made the bigger mistake of shooting it without protection.
when hunting with that rifle i tend to keep a plug in my right ear (not so good to begin with) and keep a plug behind my left ear. does not take long to plug one ear. have not a deer or groundhog get away for having to take the time to put in the plug. that said i will have the barrel de-braked when funds permit.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my old rifle was braked. i had easy insert plugs, the ones that have the firm foam post in it so you just shove them in, no rolling. they were on a lanyard around my neck. if i got the feeling i was getting close to game, i'd put them in and continue stalking. the shots i've made on game, i had enough distance and hiding places and plenty of time to take the shot, so i had no issued putting them in before the shot

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm hunting out of a blind or in open country, it's no big deal. If I'm hunting in a thick area where shots could be quick, I don't use a gun that has a brake.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I snatched up a friends .338 with a brake to shoot a wolf and don't want to do that again. I missed something like twice and after those three or four shots my head was ringing for weeks.

Like others have said I can't see why anyone would want to hunt with a braked rifle. I don't think anyone hears or feels the shots taken at game. I regularly use a 300 weatherby, 30-06, .375, 8mm mag and 9.3 and can't say I've ever been rung or kicked noticably under shooting at game circumstances. Brakes are offensive to hunt with and very offensive to hunt around. My PH in Zimbabwe last fall mentioned that he hated braked rifles in clients hands.

Truthfully, I do have some hearing loss that I blame on work. I can't see the downside of partial deafness. "Sorry dear I can't hear what you're nagging at me about." Sorry dear I didn't hear the dog whining to go outside. Thank you for letting it out." "No dear I didn't hear the phone ringing." What am I missing here fellers?

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't like brakes, I used to have a 338 Rem Custom Shop KS mountain rifle stainless and it had a KDF on it. I wanted to cry every time I shot it even with double hearing protection.

I beleive that someone makes some thet are less of a PIA but I haven't tried them.

On a 45 caliber rifle they sound funny, like a big "THRUNGGGGK!"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, I can't imagine stalking with ear protection. I used to hunt with plugs, but I stopped as I don't want to mess with putting 'em in before shooting something. None of my firearms can be classified as quiet, but I don't find them objectionable if I only take one or two shots on a hunt......JMHO

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any rifles with a Brake, but I do have a 20" barrel 350RemMag which is way to loud to use without hearing protection.

I use the old Sonic Ear Valves with it which were $7-$8 when I got them and they are chained to the trigger guard. When I load the rifle, they go in my ears and their container goes into my pocket. You can hear normal sounds with them in, but they stop the loud blast.

The inside of my ears get a bit sore from wearing them for a few days because I don't normally have to wear hearing protection.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
My 338-378 Weatherby has the factory accubrake on it. The recoil is manageable without the brake but it is still LOUD... Even my '06 is pretty loud with the short barrel so I use electronic muffs when in the field anyway. Elecontronic muffs not only help you hear better but keep your ears warm.. Best of both worlds....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a rifle with a brake, and don't plan to do so, even on my 458 Lott. What do you do to protect your PH? Or don't you give a ****?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I have a braked Browning Stainless Stalker in .338 win mag and it is not very loud so I dont use protection, ....

It is to those of us with normal hearing. Wink

Gunfire is loud and damages your hearing, whether you are aware of the damage or not.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tx6BR:
I have lost hearing in my left ear due to years of no protection. Now I use Sportears all the time when hunting.

Me too unfortunately, I was dumb too long, wear Sportears also when hunting, muffs AND plugs at the range. Anyone ignorant enough to think that one shot while hunting won't cause hearing loss is fooling themself, they're going deaf one shot at a time and don't have a clue, even the 22Lr rimfire is rated at 134Db, damage to your hearing starts at 85-90Db. My hearings is so bad, I can't hear my watch alarm on my own damn wrist, but my wife can hear it in another room! I have tinnitus so bad that without hearing any enhancement like the Sportear, I can't hear a squirrel or bird hopping in dry leaves, or any other subtle sound like that, that's what the better part of 40yrs of no hearing protection while hunting has done for me, I've always worn muffs at the range, but until about 10yrs ago, I never wore any hearing protection when hunting or plinking with a rimfire.

Protect what hearing you have fellas, it's all you have, once it's gone, it's gone forever.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4787045

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Funny timing on this, as just last night I got a bit freaked out, noticing for the first time ever, hearing loss. My wife got an alarm clock as a gift, and I asked to hear it to make sure it was loud enough to get me up out of bed. After a minute, I asked her 'what gives?', as she was taking so long. 'Are you joking?', she asked, looking very serious. 'About what?' I said. 'The alarm has been ringing for 30 seconds now, and it's loud' she said back. Shit. It was an eye-opener for me. I actually found a couple of web-based hearing tests, and sure enough, all tests indicated that I have hearing loss in my left ear. Time to get hearing protection on, even while hunting. I don't want to lose any more than I already have. Oh, and I used to have a ported 7 mag. That sucker was *loud*. I traded it off, and won't own another ported/braked rifle. Ever.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a browning a-bolt medallion in 7mm mag with the BOSS system.

while at the range, i wear ear protection. i dont notice this gun louder then any other ive shot. but if im next to a friend that is shooting my rifle, i can notice a difference. i think that is because the holes in the side of the barrell. my same friend noticed this also.

while in the field, like any other rifle, with big game in front of me, and adrenaline pumping, i dont even "hear" the rifle or notice any late effects. i dont wear hearing protection while in the field.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 30 | Location: montana | Registered: 02 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say this very slow so that some who have posted here can understand, "each and every time you fire a rifle, braked or unbraked, without hearing protection, you are loosing a part of your hearing". The same goes for a shotgun or pistol. I fire 3000 plus rounds per year from rifles, shotguns, and pistols with hearing protection in place for each and every shot. I hunt Deer and Elk every year and other hunts periodically, it is no problem to use hearing protection at the point of the shot. I have brakes on all my rifles above the .300 Win mag up to and including .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA, .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, and 50 BMG (my son-in-law and nephew each have one). I use plugs and muffs when I shoot from the bench and have my hearing tested each year and have had no hearing loss whatsoever. Once again, if you shoot with unprotected ears, you are loosing your hearing, it is that simple. The good doctor said "when your ears ring, you just lost some hearing". Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Al Smith
posted Hide Post
My 300 Ultra has a brake and I've been wearing Walker's Game Ears. Seems to work well.

Posts: 17 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I will say this very slow so that some who have posted here can understand, "each and every time you fire rifle, braked or unbraked, without hearing protection, you are loosing a part of your hearing". The same goes for a shotgun or pistol. I fire 3000 plus rounds per year from rifles, shotguns, and pistols with hearing protection in place for each and every shot. I hunt Deer and Elk every year and other hunts periodically, it is no problem to use hearing protection at the point of the shot. I have brakes on all my rifles above the .300 Win mag up to and including .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA, .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, and 50 BMG (my son-in-law and nephew each have one). I use plugs and muffs when I shoot from the bench and have my hearing tested each year and have had no hearing loss whatsoever. Once again, if you shoot with unprotected ears, you are loosing your hearing, it is that simple. The good doctor said "when your ears ring, you just lost some hearing". Good shooting.

http://www.hear-it.org/page.dsp?page=1597

http://www.healthyhearing.com/hearing_library/article_c...t.asp?article_id=792

Here are a couple online test sites.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I will say this very slow so that some who have posted here can understand, "each and every time you fire a rifle, braked or unbraked, without hearing protection, you are loosing a part of your hearing". The same goes for a shotgun or pistol. I fire 3000 plus rounds per year from rifles, shotguns, and pistols with hearing protection in place for each and every shot. I hunt Deer and Elk every year and other hunts periodically, it is no problem to use hearing protection at the point of the shot. I have brakes on all my rifles above the .300 Win mag up to and including .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA, .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, and 50 BMG (my son-in-law and nephew each have one). I use plugs and muffs when I shoot from the bench and have my hearing tested each year and have had no hearing loss whatsoever. Once again, if you shoot with unprotected ears, you are loosing your hearing, it is that simple. The good doctor said "when your ears ring, you just lost some hearing". Good shooting.

http://www.hear-it.org/page.dsp?page=1597

http://www.healthyhearing.com/hearing_library/article_c...t.asp?article_id=792

Here are a couple online test sites.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that you also posted a question re a 7mm mag for everything. I use a 7 mag (Rem 700 ADL I bought at K-mart in 1994) for 90% of my hunting. Recoil is very manageable. I have shot a .300 win mag, and IMHO there is a large difference in recoil. I shoot factory ammo for hunting (Federal 160 gr accubonds work well in my rifle) but practice with lower-power reloads. Recoil is even lower. I have taken up to cow elk with the 7mm - any problems were due to with poor shot placement. (no, not due to flinch) I have never owned a rifle with a muzzle brake, and after what I have read, have no interest in one. I plan to go after moose soon, and will use the 7mm or a 30-06.

Whatever you pick, good luck and good hunting. The main thing is to pick something you have confidence in, then practice.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had several braked magnum rifles.

I have none now.

I do have hearing damage from so mush shooting and exposure to other loud noises.
I am right handed and have the worst damage in my left ear.

I have found that Magna-Port does not seem any louder to me, in the field than a regular barrel.

Magna-Port takes the hard punch out of the recoil and reduces muzzle jump more than brakes.

Also it does not kick up grass, dirt or snow when you shoot prone.

If you find you cannot hunt with a braked rifle take a look at Magna-Port.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use plugs and muffs at the range with my braked 7 mag but never found the need while hunting. The brake is a custom job my wife had added along with a trigger and bedding on my favorite rifle. I wouldn't have bought it on my own but it not only reduces recoil it seemed to make a big difference in accuracy as a whole package. Dime sized groups at 100 yards make you forget about a little added noise. You do need to be a little considerate about hunting partners - but shouldn't you be anyway?

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started wearing hearing protection while hunting about ten years ago. It seems like the thing to do. I use tac6 or Walkers quads. Like it was said above they keep your ears warm, enhance your natural hearing, and protect what hearing you have left. Huh...... What is to not like?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have damaged hearing in both ears with my right ear the worst. I have severe tinitus(ringing) in my right ear...fellas that don't wear protection...this is no joke, tinitus will drive you mad. I regret not protecting my ears EVERY SINGLE DAY. This damned tinitus...its the first thing I hear when I get up and the last thing I hear when I go to sleep. IT NEVER leaves me alone!!!! Anyone who does not take EVERY precaution to protect the hearing you have...and I am as serious as a heart attack....your a #%&^$#* fool.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Magna-Port. I have it on two guns: 300 Winny and .338 WM. My .375 H&H is currently getting the same treatment (I'm throwing away the brake and re-crowning the muzzle as well). There is an approx 15% reduction in recoil and an incalculable reduction in muzzle jump. Most importantly, much less goddamm muzzle blast! Gander Mountain has an arrangement with Magna-port and can take care of the process.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I always use ear plugs or muffs at the range. But hunting is another story. I have no muzzle brakes on my rifles. If you need a muzzle brake you need a smaller gun. sofa
Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.LOL
I don't like or need them but that's just me! thumb

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I have damaged hearing in both ears with my right ear the worst. I have severe tinitus(ringing) in my right ear...fellas that don't wear protection...this is no joke, tinitus will drive you mad. I regret not protecting my ears EVERY SINGLE DAY. This damned tinitus...its the first thing I hear when I get up and the last thing I hear when I go to sleep. IT NEVER leaves me alone!!!! Anyone who does not take EVERY precaution to protect the hearing you have...and I am as serious as a heart attack....your a #%&^$#* fool.

That says it all... I have mild tinitus in both ears... It's not so bad that I have to turn the TV up but I do listen to it louder then my wife... My hearing issues have virtually nothing to do with firearms but has to do with the career field I had in the AF (and too many concerts)... I always use STOUT hearing protection and electronic muffs in the field.. I can't tell those of you who don't have this condition what it's really like but Woodrow S explains it pretty well... USE HEARING PROTECTION...

Yes I have a brake on my boomer and can shoot it without the brake no problem... But why would I want to?? The technology is there to use so I do... I can shoot the thing all day and not think twice about it... Without the brake you're talking maybe a dozen shots and you're pretty much done (and not off the bench mind you)... Use the brake, no problem, but USE good quality hearing protection, it's the only hearing you're EVER going to have...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

i found these ear plugs at a local hardware store and won't shoot my ported 7stw without them.when hunting they take very little time to insert and you can where them around your neck with ease and comfort

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there is a surprising amount of sense here which is a pleasent change on this subject.

A word to the users of Walkers Game Ear (or similar) enough noise is absorbed through the bone of the skull around the ear that long term use of these will also result in some damage.

I've shot about 600 shots of 243-7x57 in the field with custom moulded electronic plugs and now have additional tinnitus as a result. I have resorted to carrying a set of electronic muffs that I put on when not doing anything strenuous.

You need to carefully examine the attenuation of the muff you want to buy. Ones for shot gun shooting protect less. About the best on the market is the Peltor Tac XP. The extra bulk gives extra protection but my ears now ring after using these, even one shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a KDF brake installed on a 7mmRM and a 338WM...big mistake...I had a torn rotator cuff at the time...and needed to cut recoil...sure did that...but....the results were defeaning to say the least...after the rotator cuff healed I got rid of the braked rifles....on the other hand...MagnaPort
has done work on various other rifles for me and that was fine...not the problem it was with a brake...doing it over, I would simply get MagnaPorts...they work great and are not deafening...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
ok

what i gather is anr high power centerfire rifle could damage your ears but with a brake is going to be louder...why not just wear ear plugs with either one, save your hearing and shoot more accurate if u use braked rifles?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote