THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Who hunts with a "braked" rifle and how do you protect your ears??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who hunts with a "braked" rifle and how do you protect your ears??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the North Gun muffler, the electronics work excellent at the range reducing harmfull noise to a safe level without going completely silent, so range commands and conversation can be maintained. They have the highest NRR of any electronic muffs at 29, and at a decent price. If they weren't so warm, I'd wear them hunting too, I just get too warm when moving with them on if the weather isn't real cool.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/noduelgunmu.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Currently no, but I just sent money for a brake today. I will only use the braked rifle for long range shots, so plugs will be no issue. For places where a quick shot may be needed, the 45-70 gets the nod. I think it sounds quieter than smaller bores because of the much less pressure it has.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
yep i plan on keeping the brake and using plugs because even if i hunt with a nonbraked rifle, my goal from now on is plugs everytime

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
yep i plan on keeping the brake and using plugs because even if i hunt with a nonbraked rifle, my goal from now on is plugs everytime

Probably a really good idea........it just seems to detract from the hunt for me -- that need to pause to put protection in. But, I am seeing now that I am loosing some frequencies while others are still pretty sharp -- at least I've told this to my wife (but it is true! Big Grin)! dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I shoot skeet and/or trap at least one day a week, almost every week of the year. Mostly with 12 ga shells. Both of these shotguns are ported.

I use foam ear plugs. I put them in every time I go outside the clubhouse, wether I'm shooting or not.

I have a .375 Ultra Mag that I've taken to Africa twice. It has a KDF brake on it. I don't know if the brake make it louder or not. I only shot 8 shells through it before I had the brake put on. 97+ grains of 4831 is loud with ot without a brake. But the brake takes alot of the sting out of the recoil.

The first time I took this rifle to Africa, I shot a Buffalo and 4 PG with it. I didn't put ear plugs in on all of the animals. That was in 2005, and my ears are still ringing.

This past September I took my .375 Ultra Mag to South Africa again. I shot 13 PG animals with it. I had foam ear plugs in for every shot. As soon as we would start a stalk on an animal, I would put the foam plugs in.

I wear the foam earplugs so much at the range, sometimes 3-4 hrs at a time, that I hardly notice that they're in. I put them in every time I shoot, even if it's only a few .22 LR's.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've lost some hearing in my right ear. I attribute it to the many blasts I've subjected it to over the years.

Brake or no brake, I wear protection. I've decided that it's the smart thing to do.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

i found these ear plugs at a local hardware store and won't shoot my ported 7stw without them.when hunting they take very little time to insert and you can where them around your neck with ease and comfort

Ravenr-that is one cool buck!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find wearing hearing protection while hunting to greatly reduce my enjoyment of the experience. I like to hear every little sound and be in tune with the environment. I have carried hearing rpotection occassionally and do use it when shooting from a box blind, etc. Most of my hunting is in the mountians, on foot, however. I have a number of braked rifles from 30.06 up to .416 Rigby. I love the muzzle brakes.

I wear hearing protection religiously at the bench - both plugs and muffs. I shoot several thousands of rounds of high power every year. That said, I do not typically insert hearing protection when hunting. Throughout the course of the year, this means between 25-50 shots without hearing protection. No doubt it will have a cumulative effect on my hearing.

Nevertheless, I do not intend to change. I am careful to take care of my hearing in a host of other environments (airplanes, chain saw, boat motors, etc.)but will continue to hunt in open environments, with muzzle braked guns, without carrying plugs.

Everything in life is a trade-off. While not always PC to admit it, this is one I have considered.

Flame away.... (I can't hear you anyway!)

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUH?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started hunting before ear protection was even considered, so I have hearing damage, but everyone I know that shoots a lot has hearing damage, it goes with the territory..You will suffer if you hunt, its inevitable I fear..I try to have plugs on a string but sometime it just doesn't work out..

I don't know how one would hunt dangerous game with hearing protection. That could spell disaster.. I don't shoot braked guns but many of my clients do and I have had a few go off too close to my ears...

Bottom line is the bang from a braked or unbraked gun is hearing damage, and it happens to hunters, if you have doubts about this give me a call in 20 years! coffee

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer is electronic hearing protection such as Ears Inc or Sportear, they enhance what you hear, all of the subtle sounds that you no longer hear due to the hearing loss you've already suffered, will be back. My huntin partner of the last 35yrs is as deaf as I am, yet he won't wear hearing protection or enhancements when hunting, I've been wearing Sportears for the last several years, I've heard turkeys gobble that he had no clue were around, many times, just one advantage of wearing hearing protection that also enhances the hearing you have left.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4787045

http://www.earinc.com/m-hunting.php

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use hearing protection while engaging in any and all firearms activities whether pistol, shotgun or rifle. I have never had a braked gun. I have had outfitters make a face when I reached for ear plugs before setting up a shot. All I can say is they're idiots.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand to even look at a rifle with a brake, much less shoot it. If I had to shoot a rifle with a brake, I'd shoot a smaller rifle with no brake instead. It absolutely ruins the looks of a rifle, and I'd hate to have to hunt with earplugs in either. I might like to be able to hear game as well. As a long time whitetail and coyote killer of many years, if you reach for ear plugs before shooting at one of these it will cut down on your ammo costs, since the game will be gone.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Radians Cease Fire Ear Plugs (NRR 7 dB) 1 Pair

Radians Cease Fire earplugs feature an internal baffle design. This feature blocks out loud, harmful sounds but does not impede lower level sound such as conversation. Eliminates that blocked up feeling so common with other hearing protection.

I have these plugs and like them. Allows hearing while holding off the blast. My best is the Peltor tactical with the behind the head spring. You can wear hats and such and boost hearing beyond my normal level. When the gun is fired the electronics shut down. Protect them ears, no new models ot buy.

Posts: 17 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With Quote