THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Pa. Game Warden killed in the line of duty
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pa. Game Warden killed in the line of duty
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please do enlighten me and point me in the direction of where it was determined that this cop killing piece of shit was caught poaching for food.. please. Or is all of this bickering & bullshit merely speculation of his motivation of poaching and then in turn murder?

Let the facts speak for themselves.. the bastard was a convicted felon who got caught again doing something he shouldn't and didn't want to go back to the pen without a fight so he shot and killed a man all for the slighest of chances he may get to go home.

Fuck him..

Obviously you did not read this thread from the beginning. No one here is questioning this man's motives now. We have been talking about hypotheticals, and apparently that scares the hell out of a lot of people around here.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smarterthannothing,
You are sounding a bit sanctimonious aren't we? If your "friends" are so hungry, why did you not offer to help them? Hunters for the Hungry provides several tons of meat each year for folks in my area. What about yours?

As to your 62 year old relative - we have no age discrimination. If you want to work then come on. We have 500 jobs that people pass on everyday because welfare or unemployment is "easier". We go to the prisons to get inmates on work release to work those hours or even a reduced schedule so they can have a job when they get out.

Bite it clown - if you truly want to work in this country, there are jobs. I am in an area where the unemployment exceeds 10%, yet we have 500 jobs available if you can pass a drug test. By the way, moron, we get about a 40% fail rate on the drug tests because these unemployed people have the money to buy dope. If someone does not want to work and can work - let them starve for all I care. You and yours included.

Sounds like you don't know what sanctimonious means but it was a big word and you thought you could make it fit. Trust me, you ain't hiring 62 year old dudes with no experience, that can't lift twenty pounds to work on an oil rig, and have allready had one heart attack. If you are you are probably working for DumbCo and I expect to see you at the unemployment line soon.

I did not help the friend who poached the deer because I was a child and there was no Hunters for then, but if there was how much meat are they giving away in the summer. You fail to read details, like most people who only enjoy spewing selfrighteous judgement and hate.

Like I said all you "hunters" sound more like Prince John and The SHerrif of Notingham, ready to string up the first teenage boy poaching your precious deer.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Most land in Texas is private. We found two poached deer (caped with heads and antlers taken) this weekend on our deer lease. The backside of the ranch runs up against a county road. The gate is locked and the ranch is high fenced. So it took some work on the poachers behalf. The game warden is now sitting up at night seeing if they return.

We lease this place, but God help anyone trespassing to poach a deer on property I owned - they would be shot on sight.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most land in Texas is private. We found two poached deer (caped with heads and antlers taken) this weekend on our deer lease. The backside of the ranch runs up against a county road. The gate is locked and the ranch is high fenced. So it took some work on the poachers behalf. The game warden is now sitting up at night seeing if they return.

We lease this place, but God help anyone trespassing to poach a deer on property I owned - they would be shot on sight.

Be careful. I would hate to see you go to jail over some punks. You may want to consult an attorney about the legality of shooting poachers in Texas before you do it. This does raise a very interesting question though. In the past few years Texas has made Poaching a whitetail, on property without permission of the landowner, a felony. Texas, as with some other states, has a law that basicly says if you are in commission of a felony and someone is killed, even if it is your accomplace, then you can be charged with capitol murder. For instance if you and a buddy decide to rob a liquor store, and the store owner whacks your buddy but you live, the DA can charge you with capitol murder. So now if two poachers in Texas were caught and one was killed would it be similar?

Good luck catching these guys. Hopefully it won't cost another deer his head to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About "Poaching" there are different kinds of poachers.

The worst kind is the one who illegally takes an animal for a trophy, takes the rack or a head & Cape and leaves the rest behind...

Then there is the guy who cheats simply because he can. (the fancy late model pickup, the fancy rifle with the $1000 scope)

Then there is the subsistance "poacher" who really is feeding his family (for whatever reason)

He'll probably have a truck that looks like the junkyard he rescued it from wouldn't want it back, the soles are falling off his boots, and his GOOD clothes looks like something goodwill wouldn't sell and he's likely using a battered 22LR that looks like something that if you fished it out of a lake... you'd probably throw it back....

I've actually seen a guy like this.
if I had done anything other than walk away it would have been to give him a box of 22LR ammo if I'd had any....

Call it dignity call it pride call it whatever, but steal a loaf of bread to have something to eat isn't a crime on the part of the thief.

What constitutes "poaching" is a slippery thing and a legal definition, not as much a moral one as many here seem willing to expand it into....

Frankly if I were a game warden and caught someone claiming to be doing it to feed his family I'd need to look at the deer... if it was two days before the season opened and the deer had a decent rack, or he's driving a nicer truck than my own, or his scope cost more than my rifle AND scope, it'd be handcuff city.

IF this "poacher" looked like my description above I'd suddenly have vision and memory problems about seeing him or remebering what he looked like, but I'd warn him that if I caught him again my memory would return...

My grandfather, a farmer in Northwest NewJersey shot uncounted deer each year, every year, for mre than 30 years... (from the mid 30's to the late 60's) and there were never a shortage of deer shot legally during the actual season in december, but dispassionatly thinking about it I'd hesistat to try growning anything when wild animals wanted to eat it all and the law (at the time) didn't allow for eliminating crop destroying animals...

Was he a poacher? under the legal definition at the time? yes, but it boiled down to simple survival in a pre-welfare era....
with a pre-birth control sized farm family....

My grandfather did other things of questionable legality too to provide for his large family and frankly I'm not inclined to judge the man negatively because if he hadn't I might not be here myself, The old saying "If you share in the spoils, then by definition you condone the crime" leaps to mind here...

OR:
Let those witout sin cast the first stone.

OR:
Don't make moral judgments unless you enjoy others doing the same to you.

My grandfather made many mistakes in life, but getting caught was never one of them

Frankly if I found myself in a survival situation with a rifle
I woundn't spend more than a few miliseconds comptemplating the "moral dilema" of shooting an edible animal to rectify my immediate need
Nor would I in such a situation worry much about following Pennsylvania's current rediculous standards on legal Vs Non-legal antlered deer.

subordinating your own survival to anothers charity is a difficult thing for many people with self-respect (or if you prefer "pride") to do.

IF you don't understand it it cannot be explained to you.

This topic started because some criminal slime FELON in posession of a firearm didn't want to go back to jail.
and a good game officer doing his duty was killed.

and it's likely this asshole will get "the needle" good riddance, what offends me is how much tax payer money will be wasted fighting appeals that this assholes lawyers are going to file before it finally happens.

Many here arguing with smarterthanthou are being intellectually dishonest, if they cannot envision a situation where they might "hunt" to feed yourself or others that depend on them....

comming back from a hunting trip where I saw nothing legal to shoot a non hunting friend commented I must not be a good hunter...
if I was hunting for survival I'd definatly have killed SOMETHING...

Myself I cannot imagine hunting to gain bragging rights about how big the headgear on the game animal of the day is and think hunting for antlers is as stupid as stupid gets...
(These days with the current PA regulations if I don't have a doe permit I simply don't go.)

Opinions are like assholes, I don't object to the smell of my own but Jesus, some of the others here surely stink....

a whole lot of stone throwing glass house dwllers...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There was a shoot out with the conservation officer being hit four times and the fourth shot hitting him in the neck. The felon was struck in the hip area.
The dead deer was a spike buck.
The question is where did the guy get his handgun from???

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote