THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Whats your favorite obscure caliber???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Whats your favorite obscure caliber???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
6.5x55
7x57
6.5x57....improved????

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
.222 Remington

It's hard to believe that it is "obscure", but there isn't much being chambered for it nowadays. Mine is an (old man) Hart barrel and it is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It's very much over-shadowed by the .223 now. Mine has taken several hundred p-dogs, a couple turkeys, several fox and coyotes, and one deer, (long story).

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Win. M64 in .25-35 that I really enjoy, indeed, occasionally use it to hunt (Pronhorn). 6.5x55 isn't too obscure, but mentioned several times, and I really like it--my sheep rifle. Lastly, one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the .404 Jeffery. I don't have that one at present, but will in due time, for sure. The .264 Win in a pre-64 M70 is another I will have when oppertunity presents itself.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem. International is my favorite. I got one in the early 60's in a 40X and used it, with success, in position target matches at 200 yds. I still shoot that rifle but by now it's been rebarreled, to the same cartridge and has a thumbhole target stock. The cartridge was developed for 300 meter position matches but the military went with the 308 Win. instead. Also the cartridge missed out as the bench rest game ruled it out in the Hunter class.

Others are the 8-57 JR in a drilling and the 358 Win.

The 222 Rem was a favorite but I moved on to larger .224's with reduced and full loads.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few that I hunt with almost reloading only.The 375 win in big bore 94 Winchester,The 264 Win Mag in Stainless Rugers very accurate,and in pistol both the 41 mag and the 32H&R mag in Ruger single sixes . I forgot the 357 maxium a round that thinks it is bigger than it is.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6PPC

22PPC

Great rounds for target AND HUNTING.
If you have one, you can make up the brass for the other.
The 22PPC sits between the high velocity .22 and the lower speeders, making it, in my opinion just about perfect for a high volume shooting varmint rifle.

I have a 6PPC which gets used on everything from varmints(when I'm overseas) to wild boar.
I have a whole lot of other rifles that would "do the job better" or with a lot more grunt, but just about every time I'll take that one out(which is nearly every day).

I'd take just about anything with that rifle...through the head.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned my newest addition
35 Whelen Improved...
and like many, the 6.5x55

Posts: 49 | Location: Indiana by way of Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 x 55 is THE best rifle cartridge ever invented for medum-sized game - and its been around since 1896! I've got one in an M98 that does just under 3000 fps with 140 gr Hornadys with no signs of pressure. Zeroed at 100 yd it doesn't drop an inch at 200! Its as close to a "death ray" as anyone could want. Why its "obscure" I have NO IDEA!

Just my very humble opinion and 2 centavos...

BTW I think the 35 Whelen is cool too, and combined with the Swede (unless Jurassic Park is real) you're equipped for anything in NA.

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 6.5 x 55 is THE best rifle cartridge ever invented for medum-sized game - and its been around since 1896!

Agreed but 'twas born in 1894 not 96.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Ma Bell's reply. The 7x61 S&H will definitely get it done with style. Any good 160 gr bullet paired with 64 grs of N-MRP or H4831 gets me about 2,950 fps from my 24" barrel and MOA accuracy.

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the .416 Rigby & .458 lott as well as the 9.3x62 but I am not sure there obscure cartridges

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mmPPC
7x64
9.3x64
The last two are probably not so obscure in Europe, but other shooters look at me kinda funny when I tell 'em what I shoot. Probably just me and not the rifles

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have always wanted to build a 318 Westley richards. .330 bullets in an 06 sized case.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
My favorite sort of obscure caliber is the 22 W.R.F that is chambered in the old Winchester Pump my Dad gave me.

Blue

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
405 Winchester

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 62

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
303 Savage, 32-40, 38-55 and 25-35.

Pretty much anything the model 1899's came in!

one of us
posted Hide Post
33win. 303 savage 22jet 358 win. thank god we can still reload.

BBruce

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote