Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win Mdl 70 25-06 Remington
 Login/Join

posted
Whats your thoughts on this particular caliber/rifle for dual purpose long range coyotes and deer out to 700 yards or so? Put a Leupold VX 2, 6-18 Target and your ready to go.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hermiston, OR | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you ought to get some interesting responses to this one! While there are people on this forum who claim they can do it with no problem, I am not sure very many people have any business shooting at game at 700 yards.

I know there are some experts on here who claim that it would be no problem. But lets face it, that is a hell of a long ways to be shooting at coyotes or deer.

I think your choice of gun and scope are fine, though the 25-06 might be getting a little weak on energy at that distance for shooting deer. I own a new Leupold VX-II scope and am very impressed. I am on my second barrel on my 25-06, it is a great cartridge.

I have to admit to trying long range shots with the 25-06.
Recently I killed a coyote at more than 500 yards with my 25-06 using 100 grain Nosler Partitions. However, I can tell you from shooting prairie dogs at extreme ranges, the difference between 500 and 700 yards is HUGE.

Personally, I would pass on shots on a coyote or deer at 700 yards. However, if you are so compelled, I would suggest something a little larger in caliber for the deer at least. Maybe a 7mm Ultra Mag or some such thing. I have a friend who is getting unreal velocites from a rifle chambered in that caliber.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with a muzzle velocity of 3167 fps which is the load I use in my Savage 110 FP, 25-06, with a 24" barrel, the bullet drop is 108.4 inches at 700 yds. A 10 MPH cross wind will cause the projectile to drift 43.9". A 50 yard error in the range estimation in either direction would result in a plus or minus 30" bullet drop difference.

There are possibly a few highly trained Marksman in this country that could make that shot.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
700 yards!!! :

milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
I couldn't hit Mt Cook from 700 yards

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge. Keep it to 300yds and a stretch to 400yds and it will do fine. 700yds

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I can't tell if you're serious about this or just don't really realize how darned far 700 yards is to shoot at game, especially with a 25-06!

If you're serious, you might want to check in with some of the long range guys who post here and see what kind of equipment (and training, lots of training) they use for these kind of shots. I think you'll find they use long range calibers in the type of the 7STW, 300 Win Mag, and other boomers with the capacity to send a heavy, very high BC bullet down range with energy and trajectory to spare at those ranges. A 25-06 just can't accomplish this with any real certainty.
Of course, if you're one of those hope-and-a-prayer type of shooters, what does it matter what the heck you shoot? Without the proper training and practice, you're just trusting to blind luck anyway.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 is a personal favorite of mine. I dumped some stuff at long range with it. It is flat shooting and best of all it is easy to shoot, which I am sure you are aware of. At 700 yds. it can be done if you are using a laser range finder and a mil-dot scope and calm conditions.(For coyotes it don't matter to me if it is windy or not. I might get lucky and blow a hind leg off.)
For long range shooting of deer I would go to a 7mm or .308. I personally would not shoot at deer at that range unless they are a problem in your area and you have depredation tags or something.
My long range rig is a M70 30-338. with a Leupold VX111 3.5x10 target. My load is 72gr. IMR4831 with a 168 gr. Sierra. Velosity is 3,200 fps.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I do know how far 700 yards is, its a ways. I have a range I can shoot out to 1000 yards thats only a couple miles drive. I practice and shoot regularly. I have killed coyotes and deer out to 600 yards in the previous years with my older 25-06. You know if I really want to put the hurt on them, I can always pull out my Rem 700 LSS .300 RUM with 220g SMK's at 3100fps and see what happens, haha. My 300 RUM is extremely accurate. I practice with this rifle A LOT. I have shot 3.5" and 4" 3 shot groups many times at 800 yards and a couple 1.5" and 2" groups with it at 525 yards. I know how to shoot. This post was not meant to start a fire, but I am aquiring that Win mdl 70 in 25-06 in the next couple weeks, and I will be shooting/practicing on a daily or every other day basis as with anything. For those who say it dont have the energy, a 115g BT at 3300fps has damn near 1000 lbs and 2000fps at 700 yards. More than enough in my book. With a rangefinder, target knobs, a drop chart, practicing regularly, why does mostly everyone think its not a 700 yard rifle? I agree that in windy conditions, there is a lot better, but thats the good thing about being smart, you can pick your shots and I wont shoot at anything past 500 if there is any significant amount of wind. I just wanted to see what others would say. From the looks of it, I just might not be responsible enough to be shooting that far though.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hermiston, OR | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem.Man25-06,

Looks like you got it covered. I say have at her.

I quess I was a little chicken shit. I am allways carefull what I say about the long range stuff around here. I don't have the time for piss'n matches. I have seen some fantastic shooting at long range. Not all that bad at it myself. I have a 1000 yard range at my place, just wish I had more time to shoot.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you need to purchase a .50 cal bolt rifle.......I doubt you will be happy with the 25/06.

I have found that 99% of my shooting occurs between 50 yards & 200 yards, and I have a sneaking suspicion that many other shooters would also fit that criteria..wether they mention that this is the case....well thats another story.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 would have alot of drift and little energy at that range. It could be done but, there are too many good long range cartridges out for that range. I know a guy that gets great accuracy out to a 1000 yards w/ a custom 7mm RUM and a 30" Douglas Tube. His bullet of choice is a 180 grn Berger VLD. A larger Magnum would be much more consistent and have much more energy at these long ranges.

On the other hand, I have a family member who is an Army sniper and his gun of choice is a Rem. 700 .308 win. We all know that the 308 is moving pretty slow at the 1000 yard marker.

The 25-06 would be a good round to test at the ranges you mentioned but, I would hesitate to take game at anything past 500. Field conditions vary so much from range conditions so, a shot at extreme range w/ a 25-06 would be alittle on the unethical side.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Best groups I have ever seen have been shot on the CPU not on the range.

Usually such groups are well under 0.25 MOA and require no correction for wind or distance.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best groups I have ever seen have been shot on the CPU not on the range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
remingtonman! how ya doing? i remember you from the old shooters.com. hope things are going well for you.

tash

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post

Usually such groups are well under 0.25 MOA and require no correction for wind or distance.

Yep and thats a problem, LOTS of wind and sometimes heavy, blows thru on occasion

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I do know how far 700 yards is, its a ways. ...I practice and shoot regularly. I have killed coyotes and deer out to 600 yards in the previous years with my older 25-06.
You know if I really want to put the hurt on them, I can always pull out my Rem 700 LSS .300 RUM with 220g SMK's at 3100fps and see what happens, haha. My 300 RUM is extremely accurate. I practice with this rifle A LOT. I have shot 3.5" and 4" 3 shot groups many times at 800 yards and a couple 1.5" and 2" groups with it at 525 yards. I know how to shoot.
I am aquiring that Win mdl 70 in 25-06 in the next couple weeks, and I will be shooting/practicing on a daily or every other day basis as with anything... why does mostly everyone think its not a 700 yard rifle?
I just might not be responsible enough to be shooting that far though.

Hey Rem 25-06, You are doing the correct things by practicing and shooting regularly. And killing a dog at 600yds speaks well for you.

To me it looks like you already have the right equipment for the 700yd shots "IF" you are determined to take them. Which brings us to the M70. I've had a bunch of rifles over the years and shot a whole lot of buddies rifles as well. Occasionally there are some very accurate M70s (which have all been made Post-1964) and hopefully the one you are looking at will be one of them. But, I'd be extremely surprised if the M70 you are planning to get will shoot even half as good as the groups you are getting with the 300RUM at the Longer Distances. Feel free to let me know if it does shoot real well.

It is obvious you are struggling with the decision on whether to attempt the 700yd shots(or even more) on Deer. I don't promote Long Distance shooting because there aren't many who are willing to put the necessary time in at the Range. But, you seem to be doing all the right things. Wind is the BIG ISSUE. It takes a long time to get good at judging it, and even then a whole lot of guessing is involved.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Intriging post. I agree that it can be done and the caliber is probably up to the task if you get a tight shooter. My personal preference for deer is my 30-338 and I have also made 400 plus long shots with it. My thought really is why even try it when the real challenge would be to sneak in closer and maybe even as close as you can before shooting.
Being a deer or cayote sniper is great for motivation to practice good shooting skills but I really think good Hunting skills should also include sneaking and creeping in to the best range possible for a sure one-shot kill.
Not dissing your motives but wondering if that is also a part of your regimen.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote