New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Heart Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Marsh. It's unbelievable how seriously antagonistic some people seem to get over otherwise lighthearted ribbing. Maybe you call that California attitude. [Wink]

The young son (about 11 or 12 at the time) of my good friend and hunting partner took his first deer with both his dad and me present. It was a broadside shot, which ended up squarely through the haunch. After a short but exciting recovery stalk, we kidded the young man mercilessly about shooting his deer right in the shoulder -- the "rear" shoulder, that is. He was justifiably proud of his deer and took the ribbing in stride. He's 26 now and still laughs at the "rear shoulder" shot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've said this before, and will probably catch hell for it, but in my experience, the proper ass shot will kill quicker than an animal shot while facing you with the same rifle. I guess the folks who talk about the animals shot in the ass and running on their property to die never have a gut shot from the broadside animal die on their place. A bad shot in the ass is just like a shot too far back from broadside, while a good one placed up high is a killer just as is a high lung shot. By the way I must be in the 5% of all shooters, because I can damn sure kill a Missouri whitetail running away from me, as can most of the guys I hunt with.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The arse shot does not ruin meat any more so than any other shot...It does not bother me in the least to gut a gut shot animal, gore is gore and I am immune..I will only say you do need to wash out the carcass as soon as possible, let a creek run through it for awhile or whatever you have to do..snow will clean a rib cage out pretty well.

I will take them as they come and I use enough gun to get the job done...I have seen to many elk wounded by folks not using enough gun, but only if you can shoot the gun well, otherwise use less gun....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Would use this method-THS-not as a first shot as a second to stop a wounded animal yes I would. To fill a tag at all costs noo!! [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic but related...

While I agree with the "One shot-One kill" mantra when hunting people because of it's rationale and the fact that people can shoot back, I think I would modify it a bit when hunting non-human animals. I've added it as the second line of my sig...

"Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites."

[ 07-16-2003, 00:42: Message edited by: TrademarkTexan ]

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it when this subject comes up on the forums -all the different terms "butt shot, lousiana brain shot, adelaide heart shot, can shot, ass shot" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ruffhewn,
We can kill up to 100 pigs in a single trip here.
Since a pig has four sides,I guess 25% are
' right in the freckle', as we say [Big Grin]

Ray may have not have been correct in saying everywhere-but so far it looks like like at least 3 major continents full of 'diminutive intelligence ass shooters' versus 'your property' mate.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
While not my first choice, that would the heart lung shot, THS is no more damaging than a pass through on the front shoulders. The key I have found is rapid cleaning and cooling of the carcass, coupled with a quick kill in the first place, preferably done (the kill) while the animal is oblivious to your presence. The real key, to me, is the rapid cleaning. If you have ever been on the kill floor of a meat packing house, gore loses it's meaning as a meat destroyer, when you clean quickly and then cool through and quickly. Makes a real believer in good bullet construction out of you, like the Nosler Partition for example. At least that has been my experience so far.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

You missed! [Big Grin]

Heavey varmint and others.
You too can shot game in the chocolate starfish. [Big Grin]

Try a slower 338 or a 375 etc. with heavy for calibre Noslers or X bullets. Remove asshole and shredded salad (optional) then dine. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deep in the heart of Texas?

Posts: 33 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really should be something like the

"San Francisco Heart Shot."

[Wink]

Or perhaps, to give hommage to my contemporaries,

"The Greek heart shot."

[Big Grin]

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote