New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Heart Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does just hearing the term "Texas Heart Shot" infuriate all you ethical hunters from Texas?

I knew a few hunters from Texas during my career in the USMC and "Texas Heart Shot" seems to imply something that is not correct to a frequency to warrant the name.

The implication is that Texans and only Texans have such a dimunitive intelligence level combined with low respect for animals as to shoot one in the ass. There are a small percentage of "hunters" in every state that will do this.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
RuffHewn
I've always heard of it as being the Texas brain shot. Seems that this is the one spot close to Texans brain that was not enclosed in many many inches of hard bone or lots of space.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually most people call it the texas heart shot because the bullet has to go through the biggest part of the deer to reach the heart.Texans do brag about things being bigger in texas.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to call it the "Portuguese Heart Shot." Give the Texans a break. They are good people.

If one is capable of handling a powerful enough rifle to penetrate the game animal from any angle, there is nothing wrong with a Portuguese Heart Shot.

With an elephant, you would only be trying to break the hip of a fleeing wounded beast, to anchor him.

I took a red lechwe in the Okavango swamp with a Portuguese Heart Shot, at 150 yards, off shooting sticks, with a .375 H&H pushing a 300 grain X-Bullet at about 2525 fps MV. I felt it was an ethical thing to do. The ram went 50 yards and piled up, like any other routine broadside heart/lung shot.

A severely potty trained hunter can blame his parents for abhorence of the Portuguese Heart Shot. [Wink] This is one of the rare instances where Freudian psychonalysis can be helpful with personal growth, and overcoming the phobia: posteroballistophobia.

Relax, it's O.K., and quite often mandatory on fleeing wounded animals. It then becomes the humane thing to do.

Yep, posteroballistophobia can be a bitch. [Frown]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DagaRon, in the event some member of a hunting party is guilty of sloppy shot placement I agree it is ethical to take any shot available to prevent a wounded animal from escaping to suffer and possibly never be recovered. I just feel that taking only high percentage shots with the 1st round will usually alleviate the need for followups.

We do not all practice marksmanship as often as needed and not everyone is gifted with the nerves and patience, nor ethics, to wait for the animal to present a shot opportunity or simply wait for another animal. I am not refering to you, as you did not state you screwed up the 1st shot but was only the one to anchor it.

BTW, was the Portugese Heart Shot preceded by a likewise poor choice of shot angle? Who fired the 1st shot, blind Stevie Wonder or Parkinson afflicted Janet Reno?

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
So the Texas Heart Shot isn't ethical, but shooting deer under a feeder is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The comparison of shooting big game in the ass, and shooting them under a feeder is like comparing apples and potatoes.

Feeder shooting barely qualifies as "hunting", but generally you run little risk of having a poorly hit animal run off to die days later, not so with the hit-them-in-the-ass-shot.

My experience is that there are far more big game animals that are jump-shot in the ass or gut, then are intentionally taken by a planned Texas Heart Shot.

I've had way more than one "hunter" come in to camp and try to tell us he took an intentional, well thought out THS, when in reality he should have said he wasn't patient, the animal startled him and he threw a shot at the animal as it bolted.

I have no problem dropping wounded game with whatever it takes to end the misery (for the game as well as the hunter), but find jump-shooters in general don't get very good results. A little patience goes a long way. I started out jump-shooting mule deer 40 years ago, but found target acquisition and getting off that first shot in record time meant very little.

Had I been jump-shooting kudu in heavy cover in Kwa-Zulu Natal I'm convinced I could have hit any number of average bulls, and hopefully finished one without too much trouble, but fully evaluating trophy quality after you've hit the animal is piss-poor planning.

The THS needs to be reserved for anchoring wounded game only, and you should be way irritated at yourself if you ever have to use it.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...The "bung" shot, or whatever it is called, is the worst shot one would take on moose and other very large game one plans to eat. Not only ruin the meat, but it can introduce bacteria and other microorganisms that thrive in the stomach to the meat.

[ 07-09-2003, 06:17: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I agree that the Texas heart shot should only be used to humanely dispatch wounded game. I can't imagine why anyone who field dresses and eats what they take would use such a shot. It just aint worth the agravation and wasted meat IMHO.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Back to RuffHewn's original question:

You bet it pisses me off. I don't appreciate, at all, what it implies (on 2 levels).

Level 1: The ironic thing is that if you look at where the folks are from on these boards that have tried or use this shot...they're usually NOT from Texas.

Level 2: This shot is not something to be ashamed of and has it's place in any hunter's bag of tricks.

Then, whenever you give someone an opening to bad-mouth Texas and Texans, some uninformed "One Of Us" decides to take a cheap shot at feeders. We use feeders down here for the following reasons:

1. It's LEGAL (I could stop here).

2. Our deer population is such that, if feeders weren't utilized, we'd have a hell of a starvation/roadkill problem going in no time.

3. We don't have big tracts of public land on which to hunt. So, we usually have to invest a good chunk of our hard-earned cash to hunt. I'm not talking hundreds, but thousands of dollars when it's all said and done.

So, I hope some of our superior hunting brethren will take pity on us Texas morons and take a moment to think next time they consider getting on their high-horse regarding Texans and Texas hunting. That kind of critical behavior stems from the same "enlightened" arrogance that makes the Anti-'s feel like they can interfere with all of our hunting and shooting rights. If you're truly "One Of Us," act like it!

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruffhewn: We Texans are only offended at the name because we are confident that the practice has its roots in Alabama. [Big Grin]

By the way, I have an acquaintance who, on his way to an elk hunt where he took his quarry with the T.H.S., used his Oklahoma Credit Card (siphon hose) for gas and a Louisiana Marriage License (c-note) for extracurricular entertainment. [Eek!] Of course, this guy's from Arkansas. [Wink]

[ 07-07-2003, 18:49: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rossi>
posted
Obviously it shouldn't be attempted unless you have the right firepower and bullet weight. In the 2000 elk season, we all connected on bulls. The elk that was shot with the terminology in question was taken at 125 yards in heavy timber offering only this angle to the shooter and stepping on in the opposite direction of the hunter. With only two days left to hunt and packing a 340 Wby w/250 grain Partitions, he planted one. It was right up the bung. We recovered the Partition in the right upper brisket not quite through to the skin. No real meat damage occured as a result, since neither ham was hit.

Now you wouldn't neccessaily want to try this without a powerful chamber and heavy bullet, but with several dollars invested in the hunt and being out-of-state with only a couple days to fill your tag, I see nothing inhumane or questionable about the shot provided you have enough gun. The 340 Wby certainly has that and dropped this 5x5 like a rock with one shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you knew anything about hunting and shooting game you would know that the Texas Heart shot is one of the deadliest shots that can be taken, it certainly tears up a bunch more inside an animal than a cross wise shot, go figure. It is 99% instant kills with a proper rifle...I have used it on elk, deer, Cape Buffalo and all sorts of animals in the thick stuff where that is the ONLY shot you will get...It is used extensively in Africa and is acceptable everywhere except on the learning channel...I think you probably believe in the tooth fairy....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Strange, I have heard the same bullet palcement called the French shoot [Big Grin] . I have no idea which is the correct name..

I have shoot a moose brisket to butt once and it was indeed effective. The moose flopped down on the spot.

/ JOHAN

[ 07-08-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My objection to the "Texas Heart Shot" isn't that it is unsporting or doesn't work. It just seems to make too big of a mess and I am a meat hunter. I do believe in keeping an open mind and using plenty of gun though, I'll not pass up the trophy of a lifetime because he wouldn't turn sideways for me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My objection to it is I doubt that 5% of us could make the shot consistantly on a bounding animal.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I like to call it the, "two days before the season ends and the only bear I've seen this fall 10 mins. before dark and he's walking away" shot. I'm not too proud to say I've done this once. I will say that if I didn't have my .338 loaded with A-frames the shot wouldn't have happened (unless I had my -06 loaded with 180gr Xbullets). This is definately a shot where you need enough gun. When I placed my shot it was planned and intentional. I intended to penitrate the length of him and take out the heart and ended up splitting the heart in two.

As far as ruining too much meat... I never planned on eating the the asshole and penis anyway [Razz] !!! The shoulders were never touched.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best time to make a Texas Heart Shot is on a cold, windy day. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I am forced to agree with NBHUNTER on not eating certain parts [Big Grin] [Eek!] .Even though in some countries I am sure its a delicacy [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My feelings echo those of RSY and Stonecreek especially as a Texan and a hunter.

And, I don't mean to alienate any of my friends and collegues who happen to live East of the Sabine River but, I have always known that shot as the Louisiana Brain Shot.

Sorry guys and gals, I had to throw that in.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ray's absoutely right... the ass shot can be one of the absolute deadliest shots on game animals. I took my best 6 pt bull with one no problem. As mentioned, a GOOD bullet is needed though I'm doubtful caliber (within reason) is as important as bullet construction. The bambiites can pass on this shot if they want and I'll collect their animals.

Funny, the guy who started this thread with all the attendant pontification is the same guy advocating Matchking's on elk at 700 yards... not that there's anything wrong with taking bulls at 700 yards or using Matchkings on smaller deer. He does, however, admit he's never taken an animal beyond 400 yards or used a Matchking on anyting... go figure. He is, however, an expert [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, those bambiites will be drinking coffee in the pickup while you've already put 3-4 miles on in the dark. They won't even see that bull to pass up a shot at it's leather cheerio. ..but at least they can say that if it were to happen in a dream. [Big Grin]

Here's to having a nice brown spot to put the cross-hairs on!! [Eek!]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greenhorn:
leather cheerio

That's as good a one as I've read in a loooong time... now everyone knows what a "Texas Bulls Eye" looks like [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
The bambiites can pass on this shot if they want and I'll collect their animals.

Not on my property. No retards are allowed here.

Funny, the guy who started this thread with all the attendant pontification is the same guy advocating Matchking's on elk at 700 yards... not that there's anything wrong with taking bulls at 700 yards or using Matchkings on smaller deer. He does, however, admit he's never taken an animal beyond 400 yards or used a Matchking on anyting... go figure. He is, however, an expert [Big Grin]

Brad are you illiterate, perhaps suffer from ADD, or have some other mental handicap? Do you have problems reading, comprehending, and retaining information?

1. I never posted I intend to take elk at 700 yds.

2. I posted the details of 3 feral hogs with 190 gr .308" Match Kings from my custom rig in .300WSM.

3. 2 were taken at 675 yds aprox 5 seconds apart.

The thread Brad refers to is .300WSM for Elk and Pronghorn in Medium Bore Rifles.

Sorry to make your apparent mental deficiencies known to the members, but in the long run it will assist you in self analysis and possible future improvement.

If I am mistaken about your problem being medical and associated with abnormal brain function, or functional illiteracy, THE PROBLEM IS WITH YOUR HONESTY. ARE YOU AN IDIOT OR A LIAR?

[ 07-09-2003, 11:48: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY, SoneCreek, and all other members from Texas:

My intent was not to disparage anyone from Texas. As I stated, I knew hunters that were from Texas and none ever claimed to have attempted or performed a THS.

RSY, I agree with the use of feeders in Texas. In Alabama we can plant green fields and I am sure feeders will eventually be approved. The limit here is 2 does or 1 buck and 1 doe per day. Last season was 27 Oct to 31 Jan. Alabama almost has a deer surplus.

Stonecreek, you are correct in that there are numerous stupid individuals in Alabama that will shoot a deer in the ass. It happens at the hunting club land every day of season within a mile of my property, with .444, .45-70, and 12 ga slugs. I could walk my woods tomorrow and find several examples of "the most deadly shot ever used on game". I must be just having a run of luck that my deer are DRT when I brain them, or down within 4 seconds after being double lunged or a near broadside heartshot.

[ 07-09-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

{shooting animals in the ass} is acceptable everywhere except on the learning channel...I think you probably believe in the tooth fairy....

It is not acceptable on my property and never will be, so your "everywhere" excuse is blown. I must just be gifted with immeasureable restraint and patience to wait for a better angle or a more cooperative animal.

If that shot placement is so deadly, why do all these tiny whitetails stumble the none too inconsequential distance from the hunt club to my property after being shot in the ass with heavy caliber lever action brush guns?

[ 07-09-2003, 10:45: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I wouldn't do this on big games,but if you are shooting game birds like pigeons sitting on a tree with a rifle"22lr" then the THS is one of the most effective ways.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Just like to clarify my post by stating that as far as I'm concerned a hole through the heart from any angle is a humane shot. What I can't understand is how are you guys having such luck with no wasted meat? I have took this shot and one quartering shot that opened up the stomach and in both cases there was plenty more ruint than just an ass hole. One in particular I shot just behind my house and right after field dressing it, drug it down to the back yard, hung it in a tree and tried to spray out with a water hose what interns and interns interns was plastered to the ribs and still ended up with alot of meat that was just not eatable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heavy Varmint,

I think you have to be on Fantasy Island to put a bullet through the gastric cavity and still eat all the meat.

I had a .300WSM/190SMK travel into a hog's guts after impacting center chest and penetrating the entire thoracic cavity. The liver was exploded. The smell was intollerable. I would not have eaten it myself so I did not donate it to aid less fortunate individuals and families. The scavengers got that one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the name "Texas heart shot" derived from the fact that Texas is found in the Southern end of North America, hence shooting an animal in the bottom end(southern end?), with the intention of reaching the heart was called "Texas" heart shot.

I never thought of it as a Texas redneck thing, myself...

I have no problem taking a texas heart shot if;

1.Caliber and bullet are up to the task of passing through.

2.I'm prepared to accept that much of the meat will be damaged/tainted.

3.It's not likely I'll be presented with a better shot.

I once passed up a Texas heart shot I now bitterly regret.

Very nice bull nyala in Zimbabwe in '97.
He was only about 60m away, standing quietly under a tree facing directly away with only the hams, head and neck showing.

I had never seen a nyala before and thought they were at least as big as a kudu.
So I was also decieved into thinking it was further away too, looked like 100m at least.

I had a .375H&H shooting WRS soft point, which as far as premium bullets go, didn't penetrate a whole lot, often remaining inside game on broadside shots.

Had I taken that shot I know feel that nyala would have crashed to the ground...

If I go on an overseas hunt where I may only get one chance at my target animal, I'll take a rifle/bullet that can handle any shot I'm offered.

X bullets are a great thing. [Wink]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express, I think you did the right thing on the Nyala. It's a judgement call, and only your judgement counted.

I hope you've been able to hunt Nyala since then, or plan to.

I can remember one big mule deer years ago that I didn't take a shot at and a really big kudu in 2002 that a chose not to try. I don't lose sleep over either experience. It just keeps me wanting to get back out hunting.

An experience like you had sometimes makes people less patient the next time. They put too much pressure on themselves to come back with a "kill story". I think we all feel it.

When I was a kid and hunted for the pure pleasure of it I didn't feel any pressure to "succeed". I was just as excited about telling my dad and friends about my hunt whether it ended in a kill or not.

As grown-ups things change, but only a little. It's no longer "my daddy's bigger than your daddy", it's "my buck's bigger and better than your buck", "my hunt was better than your hunt", or "my equipment's better than your equipment". It never comes out that way in just those words, but listen to your fellow hunters once in a while, or yourself, God forbid, and you hear the same intent.

Hunt to satisfy yourself, not in order to meet someoneelse's expectations. None of us are more or less of a man based on whether we "succeed" on a hunt, but we seem to act that way sometimes (with our shot selection).

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
My THS horror story.
New Mexico mule deer hunt.My guide and I come across a pasture to a ridge.100 yards away just over the ridge 4 small to avg mulies are standing next to a juniper looking at me.None looked big...but I sat down,gun on shooting sticks
and looked at them through my binocs.Nothing I
wanted to shoot.The guide is telling me which one
he thought was biggest and just what it was.
I told him "nothing I want" as I looked away from
the deer to talk to him a huge 180+ mulie comes
from behind the juniper.Bill's yelling "KILL HIM!!!".The deer start running.At @ 130 yards the
huge buck is running straight away.Not the typical
mulie poing...nice and level.The cross hairs were
rock solid on the base of the tail.
I hesitated because I thought he would stop at the
drop off and look back...Yeah right.
The biggest mulie I ever had an opportunity to kill,no joy.
The guide said to me "Jeff,dead is dead,front to
back,back to front don't matter."

I don't know what I'd do if it happens again.

On my NWT dall sheep hunt,if it's kill a 40" ram THS style or go home empty handed,I think he's in trouble.Hope I don't have to find out.

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hey there RuffHewn, how's our macho-man today? Still wearing your service on your sleeve? Typical little-man bullshit. You are correct however, I am ADD... Asshole Discoverer-Detector. WOW! That sort of fits in with this thread you started... guess you have an anal fixation... it all becomes clear!! [Eek!]

I will admit I forgot about those incredible, all-defining hog kills... course there was reams of blather and bullshit to wade through on that thread... still, my sincerest apologies for a lapse in accuracy. And, after all, accuracy is your chief goal as you're a paper-puncher pure and simple and short on hunting experience as this thread shows.

Semper Fi dude...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be too sensitive in this regard but I just don�t like to field dress gut-shot game. This even happens once in a while with a shot from the side to the boiler room. If there is clean water available immediately, the loss of meat can be avoided.
Sure, if there was somebody else to do the gutting for me and if it was a real trophy on public land, I might consider it as an alternative to a neck or head shot.
Fortunately, we do our hunting here on private land and until now I got all the big bucks with a proper shot from the side, with maybe one expection. This was a big one our neighbour got first. You see the animals usually more than once and it is just a matter of time and patience.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:

I will admit I forgot about those incredible, all-defining hog kills... ... still, my sincerest apologies for a lapse in accuracy.

Apology accepted. It speaks volume of a person when they easily admit they are wrong and apologise openly.

quote:

And, after all, accuracy is your chief goal as you're a paper-puncher pure and simple and short on hunting experience as this thread shows.

Semper Fi dude...

I have sent many thousands of rounds at paper and a relative few at living creatures. The ones at game were well thought at and placed to ensure a quick humane kill.

Semper Fi, Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I first saw a "Texas neck shot" in a photo on a Texas ranch over 30 years ago. I always thought it was joke that Texans told on themselves.

Kinda like "Biloxi Bacon" or smoked mullet to the rest of you.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I lived in Texas for a couple of years, and there I learnt this great shot, as you can see from this photo of a cape buffalo I shot in Zimbabwe.

-

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with most that a well-placed, careful shot from a broadside angle is always preferrable. However, situations often dictate actions...

Last fall I hunted Blackbuck Antelope in the rolling, heavily wooded Texas Hill Country. I located a herd with a good ram and worked for quite some time to get a good shot. The ram was standing facing me at a slight angle, and I put a 180 gr Partition just inside his left shoulder, which exited just in from of his right hindquarter. The shot missed bone, and the animal was off at a dead run. I've seen many animals shot broad-side through the heart/lungs run for several hundred yards, which would have made this ram virtually impossible to find (there was no blood trail). Rather than risk losing such a fine trophy, I drove another partition lengthwise through him back-to-front, destroying the left hindquarter, liver, stomach, right lung and breaking the off shoulder.

Yes, I lost the one hindquarter for table fare, and the smell was not particularly pleasant, but it beat losing the animal to coyotes, in my opinion.

When you're in tough country and dealing with a tough animal that's wounded but not anchored, any shot that puts him down for good is a good shot, in my book. I don't have as many years' hunting experience as many of you, so I might be wrong in my thinking...

One last note. In my experience, the only shot that will routinely anchor an animal in place is the high spine shot, and this is quite tricky if there is any doubt as to anatomy, or your ability to hit it. Being 1" high of the spine will result in an animal that can run for 2 days, but will ultimately die. It is as ill-advised as a neck shot, in my opinion. Again, this is my own opinion, for what it's worth...

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
I thought the name "Texas heart shot" derived from the fact that Texas is found in the Southern end of North America, hence shooting an animal in the bottom end(southern end?), with the intention of reaching the heart was called "Texas" heart shot.
[Wink]

So EXPRESS, You would refer to it as a Adelaide Heart Shot? If the animal is facing West does that make it a Sydney Heart Shot? [Confused]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the whole thing, wether it be a Texas-Heart-shot, Oklahoma-Credit-Card. or a California-Head-shot, started out to be good natured ribbing of out-of-stater's by the locals. [Wink]
All States or Provinces can be subsituted for any of these headers. [Big Grin]
If you should be the one to make the "Errant" shot, you best be man enough to take a little kidding from your partners or stay home.
But there will always be someone to take it personal and be offended, as there will always be someone to aggravate the situation and stir-the-Pot. [Eek!]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote