New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patrick McManus Died Apr 11
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends of mine who visited Patrick McManus every year told me he died last week.

Our deer shack had copies of his books. He was a funny and good guy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyed his writing. Condolences to his family/friends/fans.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
And another old OWAA acquaintance sadly goes "ashes to ashes, dust to dust." CRYBABY

McManus -- a one of kind -- was as funny in person as was his writing. Right behind me on a bookshelf sits an autographed copy of “They Shoot Canoes, Don’t They?” He gave it to me at an Outdoor Life function at a SHOT show in the 1980s.

Pat wasn't too much older than I am, if I recall. That fact reminds me that my time to meet the maker probably isn't too far off. Frowner

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I read all of his books and remember his magazine articles fondly. RIP.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading his stories.
Just got a new OL Sat. Haven't looked at it yet.
Might be too early a printing to mention it.

Thanks for letting us know.

Tony: How would you like to be a young 'un just starting out facing the world now? Me, I'm glad my times getting short, 74 isn't too old, half my family lived til 90's or 95 a couple of 'em. I don't want to be around another 20 years.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this.

Have enjoyed, and still enjoy, his writings.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68781 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I enjoyed reading his stories.
Just got a new OL Sat. Haven't looked at it yet.
Might be too early a printing to mention it.

Thanks for letting us know.

Tony: How would you like to be a young 'un just starting out facing the world now? Me, I'm glad my times getting short, 74 isn't too old, half my family lived til 90's or 95 a couple of 'em. I don't want to be around another 20 years.

George

George:

In a sign of the times, that issue of OL states they are now going to a quarterly publication. They said, "You will notice the magazine is thicker (or words to the effect)."

No, I didn't notice. Still much thinner than than in years past.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm now 76. Both my mom and her dad lived into their 90s and never had any major ailments. They both died in their sleep. In contrast, I was a 50+ yrs. smoker and now suffer from COPD that keeps me on O2 24/7. That also causes endema in my feet and ankles because my heart works too hard on my breathing and can't keep up with pumping fluids back up from my lower legs.

At the end of 2017, I spent 24 days in the hospital on three different occasions. The first was three days in ICU with severe pneumonia. Second was 11 days for successful colon cancer surgery, and the third a week later was another 10 days for complications from the surgery that affected the area around my pancreas.

I'm just now getting back up to strenght from all those days in bed. It took a high-protein diet, using dumbbells for my arms and riding a stationary bike for my legs.

Last Weds. was the first time I left the house since coming home from the hospital just before Christmas. My trip was to the golf course where I successfully completed 18 holes without keeling over. And it felt good to be back among the living.

I realize that's more than you might have wanted to know, but it's my way of saying that there's no way in hell I'll be around for another 20 years. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
I got out on the links last Wednesday too Tony.
I broke 73!
That's a lot of clubs.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
I got out on the links last Wednesday too Tony.
I broke 73!
That's a lot of clubs.

I didn't break any but threw two in the lake. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patrick's stories are the reason I like to read so much now. After his first story I couldn't put the books down.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Loved reading Pat's books and stories. He had a fertile mind and a unique way in telling his tall tales to make us laugh! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always read his stories first of all. That man could tell the funniest stories.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in a non outdoors family I remember ordering one of his books via the outdoor life book club. Reading that book and subsequent books brought me countless hours of laughs and helped fuel my desire for the outdoors.

I fine writer, a gentlemen and family man.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I can only get the books down off of the shelf and reread them one by one as a tribute to his passing.

My wife is likely already bracing for the laughter emanating from the room when I get to, "The Night The Bear Ate GoomBah" or as I envision a deer pedaling a bicycle.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, he certainly was a gifted and humorous writer.

RIP

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good things come to an end. I loved his books, as a kid I read them all. Perhaps where I got some of my light hearted mentality for the outdoors, the world has some funny adventures in it, pat sure knew how to put them on paper. He leaves a great legacy in his writings.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that, I read all his books as a kid and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was reading "the night the bear ate goombaw" in bed 1 night while my wife was asleep on the other side.
I started laughing and woke up the she bear & was acusude of going nutts.
I then got her to read it & she started laughing too & forgave me for waking her.
Mr. McManus was tops in my book.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

I'm now 76. Both my mom and her dad lived into their 90s and never had any major ailments. They both died in their sleep. In contrast, I was a 50+ yrs. smoker and now suffer from COPD that keeps me on O2 24/7. That also causes endema in my feet and ankles because my heart works too hard on my breathing and can't keep up with pumping fluids back up from my lower legs.

At the end of 2017, I spent 24 days in the hospital on three different occasions. The first was three days in ICU with severe pneumonia. Second was 11 days for successful colon cancer surgery, and the third a week later was another 10 days for complications from the surgery that affected the area around my pancreas.

I'm just now getting back up to strenght from all those days in bed. It took a high-protein diet, using dumbbells for my arms and riding a stationary bike for my legs.

Last Weds. was the first time I left the house since coming home from the hospital just before Christmas. My trip was to the golf course where I successfully completed 18 holes without keeling over. And it felt good to be back among the living.

I realize that's more than you might have wanted to know, but it's my way of saying that there's no way in hell I'll be around for another 20 years. rotflmo

Glad your here Tony.

My father is in the same spot, some how he got lucky genetically and I got the Hemochromitosis that killed my Grandfather at 52. But he fucked it up by smoking his whole life until about 10 years ago. He was one of the original Marlboro Men with Darryl Winfield.

Genetic diseases can often be beaten with modern medicine, so I am hopeful to not be another 50 year old in Boot Hill.

COPD on the other hand is kind of a bastard, it is a very common thing here in Germany. This is the land of chainsmokers.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Glad your here Tony.

My father is in the same spot, some how he got lucky genetically and I got the Hemochromitosis that killed my Grandfather at 52. But he fucked it up by smoking his whole life until about 10 years ago. He was one of the original Marlboro Men with Darryl Winfield.

Genetic diseases can often be beaten with modern medicine, so I am hopeful to not be another 50 year old in Boot Hill.

COPD on the other hand is kind of a bastard, it is a very common thing here in Germany. This is the land of chainsmokers.

Yeah, I'm here. It's just a matter of how long. Smiler

Like my dad before me, I consumed my nicotine through Camel non-filters for the first 50 years and then switched to cheaper generic lite filters when the Camels got too expensive. I quit a few years ago, tho, and maybe added six months to my life.

Anyway you look at it, however, it's a bitch to get old and somewhat useless. I formally retired a few months back from my regular writing gigs and my hunting/fishing days are about done, as well. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you're gaining on it.
You still have a whole lot to go to catch up with what I've gone thru the last 6 years though.
Too much shit to post here, will PM about it.
Then we can compare notes. Ok?

Hospitals and ICU are a SOB, even worse is 9 weeks in a N/H after 5 weeks in the hosp. First 21 days in a coma.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote