New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep tag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish it had been my wife's tag but now that I know it's mine and the unit I'm really excited. Luckily I know a guy that had the tag last year and killed a giant. So my scouting will have a starting place and some great advice. Still hard to believe it's my name next to the "successful sheep tag" on AZGFD.

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I'd want to look at that ones tale before I pulled the trigger. He looks like he might have some domestic sheep in him.

Which feature or features of this ram would make you question it's bloodline?

He would have to be the biggest ram on the mountain for me to pick him, and then I am still not sure.

A couple of states have had rams come off the mountain and breed domestic sheep. He looks like one of those hybrids.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southwesthunter:
I wish it had been my wife's tag but now that I know it's mine and the unit I'm really excited. Luckily I know a guy that had the tag last year and killed a giant. So my scouting will have a starting place and some great advice. Still hard to believe it's my name next to the "successful sheep tag" on AZGFD.

Congratulation!!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for you.
Good luck on the scouting and hunt.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Really eager to set feet in the area and start scouting but the forecast of 106-107 degrees has me convinced to wait a bit. Will be updating with pics when I do get out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go SWH!
Have a great hunt and report back.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A good friend's wife drew one of the two tags issued for the unit where "Speckles" hangs out.

It's safe to say that my friend and his family know that unit and its sheep better than anyone.

They have guided a great many sheep hunters -- including at least one AZGFD wildlife manager -- in that unit over the past 35-40 years or so since my friend shot his own ram there.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWH - Congrats on the draw and have a great adventure.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to her Bill. Speckles has disappeared before season the last couple years but sounds like if anyone has a chance to find him it will be your friends. Either way it'll be a great hunt I'm sure.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
SWhunter: When I emailed to congratulate her, she said her family and friends have already started scouting for her hunt. They knew about "Speckles," but she left me with the impression that there may be an even larger ram in the unit.

As visible as "Speckles" has been, the guys who guided the governor's tag hunter this year certainly would have looked at it, but they took their client elsewhere and got an even larger ram.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the tag. If I were you, I would certainly hire a guide - you won't get a second chance.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote