New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep tag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well to my surprise AZ started hitting credit cards this morning. Even more to my surprise there's a hit for a sheep tag. Could be my wife,daughter,or myself. 3 different possible units but all them for desert sheep. Gonna be a long couple weeks waiting for results to see who and where. Doesn't really matter who drew because we are going sheep hunting!

Posts: 148 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
That's the best possible news on this day. Now begins the exquisite torture of waiting!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,
I have a friend who put in for 43 years before she was drawn for AZ desert sheep.

Mark

Posts: 1236 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been sitting here with a stupid grin on my face all morning now. The wife and I both have points in the high teens so likely one of us but with a tough draw like sheep it could be my daughter with 2. Any of the units we applied for should be a great hunt. One of the units is right out my back door and I can be glassine sheep 20 minutes from home.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Good Luck to you !

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your sheep hunt. If you are like most dads, you are hoping for your daughter. That would be fantastic. Let us know who and how it goes.

Posts: 36 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I didn't get drawn for AZ desert sheep with 19 bonus points...

But I did get drawn for a deer tag on the Strip. 13B was my first choice, A 2nd. Can't wait to find out which one I drew.

Hope your family enjoys a fantastic hunt and gets a lovely ram.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the strip tag! My buddy's wife killed a giant on the strip a couple years ago. Made the cover of Eastmans. The wife has 19 sheep points(I knew she was a keeper when I found out she had more sheep points than I do!),I have 18,and my daughter has 2. If it's the 37A tag we'll be dedicating our scouting time to keeping tabs on the big piebald ram in the unit. He's a true once in a lifetime ram. I'll see if I can download a pic my buddy took of him recently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/AZhunter_photo/image.jpg1.jpg"> [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a suggestion on what I did wrong here?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWH - If you know the "secret" you can find out who, what, when and where tomorrow if you like. Congrats to whomever gets the tag, great draw.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's the 37A tag we'll be dedicating our scouting time to keeping tabs on the big piebald ram in the unit. He's a true once in a lifetime ram. I'll see if I can download a pic my buddy took of him recently.

According to a notation in the Spring edition of "The Ram's Horn", the official publication of the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, "Speckles" has been aged at around 14.

Posts: 2970 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
If anything , you want your wife to draw that tag, trust me...nothing like having your wife take a great ram, especially on a draw tag, just something special about it, and not many can get their wives to do it. The best experience of my life was taking my wife to get her a ram of a lifetime !!! good luck to you or who ever draws that tag in your family.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter what,
You know you're going sheep hunting tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting up that ram picture. I've never seen such an unusual looking ram, ever. I hope you get a chance to hunt him.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom thanks for the help with the pic. Larry if you've got the "secret" I'd love to know how to work that! I'm fortunate enough to live within 20 minutes of "speckles". Nice thing being able to go see desert bighorn just about any time. Really hoping it's the wife's tag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's the story with "Speckles"?
Unique looking sheep and defiantly mature...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's always been piebald as far as I know. In the last couple years it seems to be becoming larger and more pronounced. He seems to disappear before the December sheep hunt each year though. Definitely make a one of a kind lifesize mount.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember SWH, you promised to let us know who drew the tag! Right?

I know the feeling, my son and I got lucky this year with a Wyo BH tag and a Utah desert tag.

You're going to have a GREAT year regardless of who's name is printed on the tag.

Keep us posted.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It'll be posted up here as soon as AZGF gets those results out. Can't wait! Still hoping Larry will let me in on the "secret" to finding out early. Zeke your about to have a real busy fall with 2 sheep tags! Looking forward to see the results of those hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ G&F gives itself a deadline of August 7 to mail tags.
You can look up you bonus points and see who's have dropped to zero.
Here at bottom, https://az.gov/azgfd/draw/home.xhtml

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark but AZGF hasn't updated bonus points since the elk and antelope draw. I went on and double checked and none of us have points gone for sheep or deer. Guess I'll just have to wait for them to post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that a Governor's tag holder or raffle tag holder has not killed that ram. It doesn't sound like it is much of a secret. Is he the only sheep like that in the unit or are there others?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on drawing the tag!!! Report to follow I hope? dancing

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised myself that a Governor's tag holder or Raffle tag hunter hasn't shot him yet. Right now he's very visible with the rut just starting. My nephew works in the unit and sees him almost daily right now. This will be our first bighorn tag. I've hunted aoudad quite a bit in New Mexico on public land for the last 8 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to whomever drew in your family.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
After seeing that picture I hope he doesn't drop dead before one of you shoot him, he is OLD!
I'm excited for you guys
I'll be Sheep hunting this year too my brother drew Bighorn here in Colorado and a MOOSE! I'll be there for both.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's definitely got some age on him! I can't imagine having 2 big draw hunts like that in one fall. We are in the process of moving up to the Flagstaff area and I'll have my hands full just scouting for this sheep hunt and whatever deer tags we draw. This pic is a stud of a ram too. Sorry for poor quality but it was taken with a phone by my nephew. Big rams are really starting to show for the rut right now.
[URL=http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/AZhunter_photo/media/image.jpg1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats also.
What are the odds of getting drawn with 20 points?

if they're good, I'd be hoping the daughter beat the odds and got drawn. then both you and the wife might still get drawn in the next 5 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the bottom of this page, https://azgfdportal.az.gov/hun...aw/BonusPointProcess there is all the info of draw per cents .
If I read it correctly with 20 points the chance of being drawn is 9%.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

Posting this for Southwesthunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW what a paint job he has!

Just an offside note. IF anyone goes thru Cortez CO. Stop in the Cortez Sporting Goods. They had a bunch of piebald, mostly deer when I was in there back in '97. Great collection.

SWH: Good luck, let's hear soon which of you got lucky.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiting to see who drew and which unit is killing me. Not nearly as much as all the years with no sheep charges though! Hoping we have results by the end of the week. Snellstrom thanks for the help with the pic. I'm having a heck of a time getting a pic downloaded from this iPad. I'm sure it's all user error.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

Posting this for Southwesthunter

I'd want to look at that ones tale before I pulled the trigger. He looks like he might have some domestic sheep in him.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I'd want to look at that ones tale before I pulled the trigger. He looks like he might have some domestic sheep in him.

Which feature or features of this ram would make you question it's bloodline?

Posts: 2970 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Results are up and Speckles is safe from us. The tag is mine. Unit 46B west. Pulled tag number 4 of the 4 given. Time to get serious about gathering info and scouting.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. One of the finest hunts in the entire world!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote