Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted
I have booked a hunt in BC for early October. I can't wait !!! Just returned from South Africa where I took 7 animals. I was able to make 1 shot kills on all 7 using my Ruger 77 in .30-'06 with 180 Gr. Barnes TSX bullets. I am looking for some help from the guys who have been moose hunting: I'm never afraid to seek out experience Smiler
Is the .30-'06 okay? I feel very confident with it. Have been shooting it for many years. Is the TSX okay too? I have a Ruger .375 too. What do you guys think?
Thanks for any help.
Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think you will do fine with that set up. I haven't killed a moose with a .30-06 but I have killed an eland (one shot).

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the .30/06 is perfectly adequate and the bullets seem very suited for the game you intend to hunt. most importantly, your confidence in your rifle is very high, and in my opinion, that is what matters most.

i'm sure that there's nothing wrong with the .375, but my vote would go for the .30/06.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Common caliber for moose in Canada. If you shot that good with it in Africa, shouldnt be a problem for a moose in northern BC with premium 180gr bullets.

I personally use my Sako m75SS 300WM with 180gr AB's but my wife uses her Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr AB's to the same effect.(got her first bull moose last season at 325m -double lung complete pass thru) 1 shot kills. I may even use my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM I just fine-tuned the load last nite at the range ...for the entire season here in Alberta for all my big game this season.

As everyone knows, its bullet placement for the key to success, not over calibered to make up for poor shooting.

Enjoy your moose hunt in BC.
Good Luck!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a moose (follow-up shot) up and through the left ham, with a Barnes TSX, 180 grs, muzzle velocity about 2900 fps.

The bullet went in and out the left quarter, into the abdomen, and lodged in the lungs somewhere. That shot hit him so hard that all he could do was stand and wait for the finisher.
(wish my first shot had been better).

A good shot (better than I did) in the boiler room with a .308 caliber bullet, will do the trick.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose aren't particularly tough, and your 30-06 with TSXs is enough.On the other hand the .375 isn't too much gun, and moose aren't small. Since you've got it, why not use it?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Biggest bull I have taken was with the 30-06. 66" 4 brow tine on each side.

Makes for a quick funny story. I was floating with a friend down river with the current, came around the corner, he's standing there with a couple of cows, I let fly, he goes down. I motor over to the cut bank high grass shore he's down on, throw the anchor, jump out of the boat, chamber another round, and proceed.

I got right to him before I could see him thru the waist high grass and notice that inspite of his head being down, he also sees me.

We're about 6' apart.

I figger I'll put a finishing shot in him, I pull the trigger, nothing happens. The bull picks his head up, I pull the trigger again, nothing happens. The bull stands up, I'm pulling the trigger like I've got epilepsy, still nothing happens.

We're still about 6' apart, but I can see him real good now since as I mentioned before, he's standing up.

Luckily for me and suprising for my partner, the bull decides to exit via the river and jumps off the cut bank literally feet from the bow of the boat. Darned if he doesn't take off swimming to the other side! My partner hollers, "I got him!" and I look down to see that in fact I had chambered another round, but had not closed the bolt all the way. I closed the bolt, pulled down on the bull in the river, thought to myself, "Eww, bad idea," and waited for him to take the bank on the far side before shooting and knocking him down again, this time on a gravel beach. Bulls really down this time.

I thought that adventure was worth relating, but don't let me dissuade you from using the 30-06. I have used bigger and faster cartriges on moose but I will use my 06 one of these days again.

Posts: 9151 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"m going to Newfoundland for moose in 5 weeks with my .308, shooting Nosler partitions at around 2650fps.(Have"nt settled on the exact load as I get fantastic groups if I go slower)
I"m not worried at all, and I would be giving up 1-200 fps over your 30-06. You just have to hit something he really needs!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I feel better. .30-'06 it is. I will keep you all posted when I get back with pictures !!!

Thanks again,
Randy
clap

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Biggest bull I have taken was with the 30-06. 66" 4 brow tine on each side.

Makes for a quick funny story. I was floating with a friend down river with the current, came around the corner, he's standing there with a couple of cows, I let fly, he goes down. I motor over to the cut bank high grass shore he's down on, throw the anchor, jump out of the boat, chamber another round, and proceed.

I got right to him before I could see him thru the waist high grass and notice that inspite of his head being down, he also sees me.

We're about 6' apart.

I figger I'll put a finishing shot in him, I pull the trigger, nothing happens. The bull picks his head up, I pull the trigger again, nothing happens. The bull stands up, I'm pulling the trigger like I've got epilepsy, still nothing happens.

We're still about 6' apart, but I can see him real good now since as I mentioned before, he's standing up.

Luckily for me and suprising for my partner, the bull decides to exit via the river and jumps off the cut bank literally feet from the bow of the boat. Darned if he doesn't take off swimming to the other side! My partner hollers, "I got him!" and I look down to see that in fact I had chambered another round, but had not closed the bolt all the way. I closed the bolt, pulled down on the bull in the river, thought to myself, "Eww, bad idea," and waited for him to take the bank on the far side before shooting and knocking him down again, this time on a gravel beach. Bulls really down this time.

I thought that adventure was worth relating, but don't let me dissuade you from using the 30-06. I have used bigger and faster cartriges on moose but I will use my 06 one of these days again.

Funny story. Thanks for confirming we're all human !!!
Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 will kill whatever you come across in BC. As stated by Mighty Peace shot placement is the best weapon, but don't get me wrong if you feel confident with your 375 by all means do some killin with it as well. Dead is dead just how much noise you make is the difference, lol.

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I use to hunt with a guy years ago that always used a 30-06 and he never had a problem putting big moose on the ground with it.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2 Shiras bulls here in Montana with my .30 Gibb -- an improved .30-06 that pushes 180 gr Nosler Partitions out at 2990 fps. Both dropped on the spot and were one shot kills. Your .30-06 should work fine it you put that TSX in the right spot.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a 3 part post:

1. Trophyman your '06 with the TSX should be fine particularly since you are very familiar with it.

2. As for Scott King's recommendation I would consider it a litte dubious as I know him to be a rifle weenie even though a lucky one. His sexual orientation may also be questionable.

3. tasunkawitko, I try to do some work on this sight and others. My time is valuable. I am requesting that you withdraw the pic of the extreme cutie sitting on the bomb. I simply cannot afford to spend several minute each day each time I see her in "If I was......dreamland". So for the sake of my financial future please take her off or put a bag over her head and upper torso. Heavens I'm sweating.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12881 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry mark, but when it comes to pure beauty i fall in with the crowd that says TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH Wink

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophyman ----- Your 30-06 will do fine. I used a Moose hunt to get something new and went with a .340 Wby. It did the job with colors. I just figured if I ran into a mad Bear, I wanted more UMPH. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Is it just me or does your hair seem to grow longer in the back the more it thins on top?

As to the matter of my questionable sexual orientation, I seem to recall you telling me I was welcome In your bed, err in your house anytime.

Posts: 9151 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophyman,

Where are you hunting in BC?

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose in BC a number of years ago with a .270 win. One shot Kill, its all about bullet placement.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

That is a low blow even for you. Your parents obviously left out the lesson in your upbringing where you learn to be respectful to your elders and particularly old balding ones.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12881 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
3. tasunkawitko, I try to do some work on this sight and others. My time is valuable. I am requesting that you withdraw the pic of the extreme cutie sitting on the bomb. I simply cannot afford to spend several minute each day each time I see her in "If I was......dreamland". So for the sake of my financial future please take her off or put a bag over her head and upper torso. Heavens I'm sweating.

Mark

That damned picture has the same effect on me, I can never just scroll past it! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 30-06 will be fine.Moose are large,but I find that they aren't nearly as tough as elk.A moose will usually just stand or slowly walk away after being hit,but they seldom go far.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R:
Trophyman,

Where are you hunting in BC?

Cheers,
Mark.

Prince George with Backcountry Outfitters: Mark Werner. I am really looking forward to it. I'm not sure what to take and all, but I'm going !!!!

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please confirm for me...... there's a bomb in the picture? huh. Didn't see it.
Trophyman.

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maine 2003. My bull weighed 850# dressed. I used my 30-06 with 165 gr Winchester FailSafes. One shot down (spine),one finsher. Your '06 is plenty.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote