THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    This is one hunt that should not take place

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is one hunt that should not take place
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have hunted all my life from the age of 4 and never thought I would see the day that I would want to see a hunt stopped.That day has come right where I call home.Here in Alaska in unit 20 A which includes Foret Greely and Delta Junction Alaska.The fish and game is going to have a hunt for 900 cow and calf moose here.Its seems at first the purpose is to reduce the moose because there are too many.The purpose of this hunt is so that all hunting on fort greely which is 500,000 acres will be closed from now on.There is also another reason the treehugging biologist wants way less atv 4 wheelers imacting the land.He wants to make it a draw hunt with less moose and can limit the atvs where there are hardly any moose to hunt.Its hard to believe they want to kill off this many cow moose when so many areas of the state have very few moose from the bears and wolves knocking them down to nothing.This is equal to what happened to the buffalo after the Civil War to get rid of the Indians.If you ever wanted to hunt moose this is one of the best places to hunt but after this hunt there will be hardly any moose left to hunt.The bulls that are left will get hammered by the moose and wolves.After they finish the moose I guess theyt will eat all the cows,pigs and dogs here.I hope someone can help me on this issue.If hunters stick together we can save our sport.If we divide and argue we will be gone like the buffalo too.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If their goal is to permanently remove the moose population, how are they going to keep them exterminated? Somehow, they have to be prevented from migrating in and recolonizing etc. (presuming that all are actually killed off - very doubtful).

I'm not disagreeing with you but there must be more to this if your analysis is valid.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they wont remove every moose you are right but these cows and calfs have never been hunted.moose dont run like deer you can wipe out a whole herd on a 4 wheeler and snowmoblie.Its like hunting real cows or fish in a barrel.The army wants the moose gone on the missile base so they dont have to fool with security on hunts.The biologist wants no 4 wheelers in the mountains making trails.This hunt is going to hurt the moose and the hunters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised they have not turned 1000 wolves loose in there. Then a bunch of iowans could stand outside the base and watch with spotting scopes and binos as the moose were hamstrung, guts and unborn calves torn out, and partially eaten before attacking another, and cheer with glee!!! Disreguard the fact that licenses could be sold for the hunt, managed for future hunts and food for humans.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My god I love it. You should write novels... Science fiction I think is right up your alley

Smiler Smiler

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu56,

It is even worse than you think. I release this information to you in strictest confidence: There are thousands of wolves penned up in Alaska for eventual relocation to other states. The actual purpose of the slaughter of moose in the Fort Greely area is to provide gut piles to feed the penned up wolves. At the moment public pressure is too high to release this information, but as soon as the elk herds have declined enough and the population of greeenies reaches the tipping point politically, the penned up wolves will be released, initially in Wyoming,Montana, and Rhode Island, but stragglers will eventually reach Philadelphia and Iowa. If you wish, I can provide details of this nefarious plan from my confidental sources, both within the galaxy and outside it.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to the biologist who wants this hunt.It is to close for Greely some of the best moose hunting in Alaska 500,000 acres to hunting forever.This biologist wants to control the number of hunters on 4 wheelers so he is going to knock the moose down to nothing so that he can save the land.Without the moose in Alaska its an empty waste land.There are so many areas without moose here that are not that far away with 100 -150 miles that moose could be transplanted back into by local farmers here who would give their time and equipment for free to help put more moose back in Alaska.Moose are very different from deer.Cow and calf moose that have not been hunted will not run and you can get as close as you dare before she will charge you.The fish and game decimated our resident herdof caribou in unit 13 by giving out 60,000 either sex permits.It was anover harvest of the herd which fish and game had over estimated their numbers.You use to see thousands of caribou along the denali hwy now there is nothing.The only caribou which are let migrate great distances.If you ever wanted to go hunt Alaska you should pay attentionto whats going on up here.The fish and game is tryin g to manage moose like whitetails which are two way different species.This hunt is going to take place right at the prime migration from the Bobming range to open areas where these cows will be like shooting fish in a barrel.There are so many areas in Alaska that you wont see a moose.Its going to take seed moose to repopulate these areas.The state is planning to narrow the hunting on the road system down to nothing.They are doing a very good job at it.They are good friends with the tour bus companies that tour Alaska but hunters and their rights are last on their list.Moose once knocked down in population can not rebound due to so many wolves and grizzleys here.If anyrthing the guide requirement for grizzleys should be lifted and free tags for nonresidentsshe be the bear plan.They should also let progfessional bear hunters from other states who use dogs come hunt the grizzleys here.I have Tried the Teddy Roosevet conservation orgization ,cant get ahold of any one in the Safari Club org.I thought there would be more intrest in saving the moose of Alaskafor the future of hunting but I guess I was wrong.Once they are gone its like the 60 million buffalo that once roamed the great plains they dont come back.I am a life long hunter who only eats wild meat.To loose the finest moose herd in Alaska to save the land from 4 wheelers used hunting is the worst plan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is even worse than you think. I release this information to you in strictest confidence: There are thousands of wolves penned up in Alaska for eventual relocation to other states. The actual purpose of the slaughter of moose in the Fort Greely area is to provide gut piles to feed the penned up wolves. At the moment public pressure is too high to release this information, but as soon as the elk herds have declined enough and the population of greeenies reaches the tipping point politically, the penned up wolves will be released, initially in Wyoming,Montana, and Rhode Island, but stragglers will eventually reach Philadelphia and Iowa. If you wish, I can provide details of this nefarious plan from my confidental sources, both within the galaxy and outside it.

animal

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
The fish and game decimated our resident herdof caribou in unit 13 by giving out 60,000 either sex permits.It was anover harvest of the herd which fish and game had over estimated their numbers.You use to see thousands of caribou along the denali hwy now there is nothing.The only caribou which are let migrate great distances.

This statement is just plain wrong. 60,000 permits? Where in the world did you get that number? Can't see any caribou on the Denali Highway? Then you aren't driving it at the right time.

I can see you are upset about the moose hunt, but making stuff up certainly isn't going to help your cause. You really need to be truthful about this and do research. Find out exactly why and what the long term management plan is for that moose population is in Delta. They aren't going to "exterminate" them. Far from it.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote