New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack O Conner ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think dogcat may have been referring to "The Last Book, Confessions of a Gun Editor". In this book, O'Connor did mention several writers, etc... and was a take on the industry in general.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou270:
I think dogcat may have been referring to "The Last Book, Confessions of a Gun Editor". In this book, O'Connor did mention several writers, etc... and was a take on the industry in general.

Lou

I think you're right. Too bad hr dies before he could finish it. Might have gotten mighty interesting. Roll Eyes
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou270:

From "The Rifle Book":

" The time might come when a MAN would want to stop a grizzly quicker than he could do it with either a 270 or .30/06. The same thing could also be true of elk under certain conditions.

For all game in open country and semi-open country the .270 is a fine and satisfactory caliber. Even for deer in timber the .270 is also satisfactory for the MAN who likes a bolt-action [....mine] On ther other hand, there is no reason why the MAN going to hunt Alaskan brown bear should take a .270 if he has a rifle of heavier caliber--nor is there any reason why the MAN on the spring grizzly hunt should take one." - Jack O'Connor P228-229

From "The Hunter's Shooting Guide":

"And when a MAN is hunting really heavy and potentially dangerous game I don't think any .270 load is as effective as a good 220-grain bullet in the .30-06, as these babies play for keeps and the bullet must drive into the vitals at all costs." - Jack O'Connor

I like the fact that Jack wrote of true hunting, a MAN's activity. There is something about having the wife stay home safe and let her cook the meat the MAN brings home.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack's wife took more game than many of the MEN that post here will ever take.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

True, yet the way he wrote one would never know that and that's what matters.

Jack wrote masculine and that is what's missing today.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
Frownerlong long ago,,in a land far far away,,,there lived a lad who was very satisfied to live his life out,hunting and shooting with a winchester '94-.30/30,,a 311 savage 12 ga. double,,a 60A winchester .22 single shot and .44/40 single action.Then one day,this fresh faced youth picked up a devilish sheaf of pages,,some with pictures ,some only text,,penned by some deciples of OLD NED,to separate the unsuspecting as well as the informed,from thier shecles,,and send them into dreams and wishes of far off lands,,5 star accomadations and trophy rooms full of evidence of thier addiction!!!! .One of the chief of these sons of OLD SCRATCH,,was an English(of all things)professor with the gift of the telling of tales so real and satisfying to read,that they could be read ,read,and reread til the pages fell apart.The afore mentioned youth was hooked from the first article,,not even recalling what that first story was about!!.Before he knew it,,he HAD to have a .270 Wincester,,whatever that was,,on a Mauser action,,he knew not such a contraption,,a 4x Weaver telescopic sight,,,french walnut stock with skipline,ribbon checkering,Niedner butt plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............ON AND ON AND ON AND ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Let this reporter tell youu that the nightmare go's on,,as this poor soul is still in the clutches of the afore mentioned addiction,,,wth no end in sight,,save by shaking off this mortal coil.

So when you lite up that $5 Maduro to-nite,and pour that dram of Tennesee sourmash,,,remember this poor boy and shout,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ""CURSE YOU JACK O'CONNOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!""and bob hagle,elmer keith,,john wooters,,finn aagard,,and on.....and on.......and on.................................... beer

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Big1, you make me SMILE! Big Grin

ARcorey, you really need to read a little more O'Conner - he wrote some fantastic things about his wife, how she was a tremendous hunter and a spouse that any man, hunter or no, should be thankful to have.

Hunting may very well be a "man's" sport, but if my wife hunted even 1/4th of what Mrs. O'Conner did, I'd be in 7th heaven!

Don't mean to give offense, friend, just pointing out the facts! thumb

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things:

1. IMHO, Jack piggybacked his caliber choices and career off of what Grancel Fitz accomplished a decade or more earlier. If you are not familiar with him your education is lacking. In today's world he could not make a living. Because, we know a lot more and hunters get around a lot more. In his early days most just hunted their local area and the lever rifle was still king in most of the country. Jack did one very bright thing. He sucked up to the Iranese royalty and got lots of free hunting out of it.

2. If you have not read Elmer Keith's books your education is sadly lacking.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ar corey:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

True, yet the way he wrote one would never know that and that's what matters.

Jack wrote masculine and that is what's missing today.

Huh???

Jack mentioned his wife constantly.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote