THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Weekend hunts on tap at Balcones Canyonlands N.W.R.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weekend hunts on tap at Balcones Canyonlands N.W.R.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Weekend hunts on tap at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

By Mike Leggett

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hunters who would like a chance to try for white-tailed deer, turkeys and hogs at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge can begin applying now, according to refuge managers.

The refuge has scheduled four weekend hunts this fall, including a free hunt just for youngsters. The youth-only hunt will be held Nov. 10-11. The other hunts are Nov. 17-18, Dec. 1-2 and Dec. 8-9.

Applications may be printed from the refuge's Web site, http://southwest.fws.gov/refuges/texas/balcones/index.htm. They also may be picked up at the refuge's headquarters, five miles west of Lago Vista on FM 1431, during normal business hours.

Each adult and youth hunter must fill out an application, and the applications must be postmarked by Aug. 20. Mail completed applications to: Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge, 24518 FM 1431, Box 1, Marble Falls, TX, 78654. Or call Rob Iski at (512) 339-9432, ext. 70 for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in this may want to call the Balcones folks first. This is not an easy hunt and the roads are horrible. Let me start by saying that I've never hunted it but have had friends that have - all them once only. You can not put feed or corn down to entice the deer. There are no stands or lean tos. I think you can bring along a pop up tent if you want. It is our rainy season and the roads are all dirt roads and they are not travelled much as this is a restricted area. If you do go - bring a shovel and a saw.
Just imagine going to an area you know nothing about, unguided, it's most probably raining and you're best option is to lean up against some tree hoping to see a deer pass. If you're lucky enough to bag one and it's a buck you are in an area where they might score 120 to 125. This is Central TX deer - not S. TX deer. But for some reason I seem to remember that it's a doe only hunt. Just call first before booking any flights.
Sorry Kathi, not trying to blow the sails out of this. It's just that everything I've heard about it has been negative.
Note, this area is about 20 mins. from where I live.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote