New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What gun to Buy??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The true rifle buff is guided by his lust for owning certain rifles in certain calibers with no intention of ever shooting said rifle. Now a retired senior citizen, life long paper puncher, avid hunter, I remember my very first 22 rimfire rifle.

I took a bite from my apple, placed it on a stump, stepped back about ten yards. Standing there looking at that apple, I reached in my pocket and found one of the six long rifle cartridges I had aquired. Placed one in the chamber and took careful aim at that apple. The sight picture was perfect , I squeezed the trigger and missed the apple. The spent powder from that fired round wifted back in my face. As it's odor hit my nostrils I was transformed that very second into a life long rifle buff, hunter, target shooter.

That day burns bright in my memory and my desire to own rifles, hunt, punch paper, grows ever stonger with each passing year. The smell of that spent powder from that 22 rimfire cartridge is as fresh to me today as it was 53 years ago on that warm sunny May morning in the woods next to my house. I hope we never lose that desire to be all we can be and enjoy our favorite sport to it's fullest. I know this old mans finger tips are tingling just thinking about his next trip to the rifle range to test some loads in one of his favorite rifle. I wish you all that same feeling inside on your next trip to the rifle, pistol range, or where ever you practice shooting.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader66:

I am with you and feel exactly the same way as you do. Shooting and spending money on shooting equipment give me most pleasure. Life is too short to waste time.

Cheers!

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I started shooting with my Dad's 1903 Springfield which began my love affair with the 30-06.

Me too!! Dad won a '03 in card game, and it was the first real rifle I ever shot!! LOL...The memories!!..sakofan..Thanks, Dad

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote