THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ancient bow + modern adventure = my 1st archery deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ancient bow + modern adventure = my 1st archery deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
OK, so he’s a fat little 2.5 year-old 3-pointer....certainly nothing impressive to write home about. But this is the first-ever arrow I have fired at a deer. I used to hunt with a compound for a few years in the 80s and gave it up. Then my uncle recently gave me a gorgeous old bow that has sat in the closet for probably 30-35 years.

So I had it strung it about 3 weeks ago.

To make a long story short, just after noon today, I looked out to see bucks chasing does in an open field. I felt well enough today, so I threw on my camo, sprayed down with Dead Downwind and walked slowly through the huisaches.

The wind was right, and I made a slow approach (not like my neuropathy would allow me to walk fast anyway!). I was close and just had to wait for my chance. There were 2 bucks within range, and I would have been happy to tag either. One was a 13.5†wide 7-pointer, a 3.5 year-old buck, while the other was a 2.5 year-old 3-pointer.

But in our county, I already took my 13â€+ deer so needed to take one that was either a spike or had one unbranched antler.

The 3-pointer qualified, and when he stopped when I grunted at what later measured at 18 yards, I drew and fired when it felt right. The arrow looked like it was in slow motion as it headed towards the deer. I could see its arc in flight and watched it bury into the chest of the buck. He hunched up and then kicked with his back legs. He didn’t cover more than 20 yards before tipping over.

The arrow penetrated the top of the heart and a major vessel before exiting (barely) the offside shoulder. The broadhead was barely protruding as the bow does not have the horsepower of a compound, so I have to limit the range of my shots. But that’s part of the fun anyway.

So here is my “bruiser†of a buck. But in all seriousness, if the truth be known, I was probably more excited when I tagged him than the gorgeous 10-pointer I took on the 8th with my Encore in .308 WCF.

Please pardon the poor photo. I had no time for anything but a hurried snapshot as I had to hustle to get our 5 year-old twins from school.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I commend you for a most excellent hunt. To do it with a primitive tool is a testimony to your appreciation for the value of the hunt rather than the expeditious method. I hope your twins were able to witness the event, as that will impress a lasting memory for them.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BT,
Pardon the poor photo???
Very tastefully done and a wonderful photo. One of my pet peeves is the photo with the tongue out and blood everywhere shot……Congrat's on a great accomplishment and the wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing....Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjw3:
BT,
Pardon the poor photo???
Very tastefully done and a wonderful photo. One of my pet peeves is the photo with the tongue out and blood everywhere shot……Congrat's on a great accomplishment and the wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing....Carl

+1,

Great photo.
I love those traditional bows. I have a wall with 8 of them mounted in my bedroom.

Don

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Actually Hot Core, it kind of looks more like a standard long bow to me. I thought a recurve had the tips of the limbs going back to the riser. Anyway, recurve, long bow, stick bow....it doesn't matter!

Good going Bobby. I'm impressed.

I always love your quality photos you post here. I wouldn't mind learning how to post such good pics with the text.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bobby T.

Outstanding...and 18 yd bow shot in my view is a much better trophy than a monster 10 point at 200 yds with a rifle.

Of course you had an advantage...the poor boy had nookie on his mind...LoL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a fine shot,bobby, but that bow is strung backwards in your photo. is that the condition in which it was shot? if so, it is surprising the string did not come off at full draw. i would recommend stringing this bow correctly to eliminate the possibility of damage. a recurve is not supposed to bend that way.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I appreciate it.

724wd-

OK, please educate me on the "backwards" string. The angle of the photo exaggerates the "bend" of the bow. Other than that, I am not certain what you are referring to.

I've never had one of these before (shot a compound in the 80s). I simply strung it and started shooting -- and all has been well for hundreds of shots.

It is a right-handed bow that I do shoot left-handed, however.

Thanks!
Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I thought something was awkward with the recurve/long bow.

Here's what I think happend, which 724 brought up: It looks like you bent the bow the wrong way when you strung it. If that is the case then I'm also surprised that it shot.

Take a look here: Google photos of recurve bows

This is how your bow should look when strung if we are correct that it is a recurve.

What you do is attach the string to one end, use your leg to bend the bow while the strung end is at the ground. The bow should be coming across the outside of your left thigh if you are right handed. Using your right hand to hold the top end of the string, bend the top limb towards the string. When the bow is in this position, the top limb should be curving AWAY from you.

Does that make sense?

Here's a video on how to string a recurve.

Here's a video that shows what I was talking about:

bracing a bow

I looked at the photo again and cannot tell by the picture of the bow if it is done correctly.

If it is a long bow, then you did it correctly. Here are pics:
long bow pics

If it is a right handed bow then you have it strung incorrectly. The way it is pictured, it is a left handed bow. I shoot left handed.

It would also help to have close up photos of the string groove at the tips of the limbs if they happened to be slanted in one direction or not. If it is a right handed bow and strung correctly, the arrow should rest on the riser, open faced to the left. That bow is strung with the arrow rest open faced to the right which means it is set up to shoot left handed. So, it appears to be a recurve strung backwards. shocker

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doc. I will check those links shortly.

Comments appreciated. Like I noted, this is all new to me.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
top (tip) of bow

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You have it set up backwards. It should look like this.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I feel like such an idiot.

Now I just hope it shoots as well once I reverse it! Big Grin

Shooting instinctively, I could consistently hit a volleyball-sized target 8 out of 10 times at 30 yards, though I told myself any shots on game would have to be much closer.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I think you all figured out it was in fact a Recurve, with the String in the Un-Strung position. Pitiful and Pathetic!

Guys I knew who shot them strung them this way simply to let pressure off the Limbs and still be able to keep up with the String. Had no idea tomek had actually shot it like that. Amazingly STUPID, AMAZING!!(aka Double AMAZINGLY STUPID!)
-----

When a person strings a Recurve, they slide the string down the Limb past the Notch so the String is loose on the Limb. Then they hook the other end of the String - on the other limb - on the opposite side of where they fool had it. Next they put the end where the String is in the Notch down by their right ankle and step through between the Limb and the String with their left leg. That captures the limb between their legs with the String in front of their left leg. Then they pull the Upper Limb back and slide the String up the Limb into the Notch. But, store it as is shown in the flick, apparently taken by a 6yr old.

By the way, anyone STUPID enough to shoot one like tomekee should have the Bow Shop check to make sure the Limbs were not damaged(delaminated, split apart, fractured, hosed-up, etc.) due to the Torque in the wrong direction. Pitiful and Pathetic!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DAMN Bobby, that is awesome. The fact that it shot wih that much penetration strung like you had it is certainly amazing, just shows how much a SHARP broad head can accomplish. It will not feel as good shooting it lefthanded when you put your hand onto the grip, which is designed for a righty. HC is right, it will be a lot harder to draw for sure, but your bow will have a LOT more zip to it!

Doc posted some really helpful photo's, one thing you absolutley should do is buy a stringer, I would never step through string a classic old bow like that, it easy to twist the limbs doing that, and that thing is gorgeous--plus it's a lot easier and safer than 'step through' stringing---I've strung thousands that way, but it ain't the best method. You probably have started the incubating stage for a love affair with archery hunting--if you are not right eye dominant, than you would REALLY benefit from a lefthanded bow, you would probably amaze yourself with how well you could shoot.

One last note--about 75% of the time, when you draw a bow which has the string on it as you have, which is technically un-strung Eeker archer the string pops off the limbs, which aren't designed to hold the string on that side of the limbs!

Congrats to you, get your bow game tuned up a bit, and let us know what you think then--you are destined to love it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I started playing around with bows in college ... had to take a PE course. Was fun, but never enough to take too seriously.

Bought a compound of eBay about 8 years ago to get another season. Again ... not a serious endeavor. Have since taken a dozen or so deer with a bow. Great fun.

BUT never with a recurve. THAT is an accomplishment of the first order! Congratulations indeed!!!!!

Lovely pic by the way.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I appreciate it.

I have located a stringer and will pick it up tomorrow. In fact, the shop guy said if I want, just to bring it along and he'd do it for me.

I am right-handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot guns, etc. as a leftie.

We'll see if the change reverses my fortunes -- pardon the pun... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I am right-handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot guns, etc. as a leftie.

Me too, everything, including bow. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't shoot that deer with one of them damn TC single shots...

I am getting sick and tired of him rackin up stacks of game like cord wood with such practical cartridges that shoot a reasonable bullet at a reasonable velocity

Congrats again

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mike, I think Bobby is blessed with some sort of hunting "ju ju."

He kills all kinds of stuff, posts great pics of bullets/game, and then goes out and kills a deer at 18 steps with a backwards strung recurve.

WTF?? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guys just a stud...

Handsome son, cute twin five yr old girls, kills game with a bow and arrow...

Next thing ya know he'll be slayin sabre tooth tigers with a spear wearin a loin cloth...make us all look bad...

Bobby...please no pics of you in the loin cloth.
Just want to see the spear and the sabre tooth tiger.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mike Detorre wrote:
quote:
Bobby...please no pics of you in the loin cloth.
Just want to see the spear and the sabre tooth tiger.

That's a deal. Otherwise, we'd have everyone losing their appetites... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mike-

Thought you might get a kick out of this.

Yesterday morning, I shot a coyote before taking the twins boys to school.

THis morning, one of them (Grady) asked: "Dad, can you keep that body one more day. We want to shoot it with our bows when we get home." The other excitedly chimed in: "I want to practice with my bow, too, please, please, please!"

Insanity reigns here in the Tomek household... Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bobby, be sure the string length is right when you go to string it the right way. If you had a shop build the string it is most likely right.

Damn, maybe I should start shooting my old Pearson Mustang backwards Big Grin

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work with the boy, Bobby!

-Glad the kiddos are excited about the 'Yote, too.

Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dam you shot it with the bow strung backwards.

Good shot you well get better vel and prenatration when you string it the rt way.

I started shooting deer with a long bow in the late 60's then a recurve now a compound. Its all full.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice shot considering the bow was strung backwards. You are lucky you didn't end up with one of the broken limbs stuck between your eyes! Eeker

A recurve bow will some times break violently when pulled backwards, because the layers are stressed to bend the opposite way! A serious enjury is usually the result !

What weight is printed on the bow? it should be under the varnish finish on the upper limb, just opposite the arrow rest! To be legal in Texas it must be at least 45#!
I think you will find the pull will be much heavier when strung properly. I have a Bear Grizzly re-curve 55# bow in my gun room, that hasn't been pulled in 35 yrs, along with a dozen Bear Razor Head arrows, that have never been shot either. I had a bad shoulder enjury, and can no longer pull a bow. Wish I could they are fun to hunt with!

good luck with your bow, I think you will find it shoots much more accurately now! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again...
quote:
Nice work with the bow, Bobby!

-Let us know how she fires when strung up the other way.

All said, you deserve a Shiner Bock for your first deer harvest with a bow-- a stalk to w/in 18 yards on a 3-pointer, no less!

beer

BTW... You may recall I got my 1st 8-pt buck ever last season with the -06 you sold me.

Rifles can be afield for the Whitetails starting Monday here. -But, this year, I'll give my teenager the first opportunity to pull the trigger of a 30/30 lever-gun if he can get some game in his sights.

He's done well at the range... now I hope we'll get to make some positive memories of hunting together.

Happy Thanksgiving.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye Mountaineer wrote: "You may recall I got my 1st 8-pt buck ever last season with the -06 you sold me.

Rifles can be afield for the Whitetails starting Monday here. -But, this year, I'll give my teenager the first opportunity to pull the trigger of a 30/30 lever-gun if he can get some game in his sights."
---

Here's hoping your kiddo does as well as you did last year. Memories made hunting with your kids are priceless.

As to the bow, it has been restrung (I let the shop do it!), and it's taking a little getting used to. There is only minimal difference in force required for the draw and in apparent trajectory. But my dominant left eye is going to require a good bit more shooting with the "new" setup.

Mac-DW is 48#.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mac-DW is 48#.

That is a very good weight for a deer bow! That little Ben Pearson is a fine looking little bow, one of my first bows was a Pearson, 28#, at the age of about 12 yrs. I shot my first head of big game with that bow, after about 500 botched shots! Big Grin

I killed my first deer with a bow at the age of 13 yrs, and it was a 6 point Muledeer on the Hitt ranch in the deasert Hueco (Hueco is pronounced, "WECO", and is a Mexican word meaning "HOLLOW") mountains of West Texas, 30 miles east of El Paso, Texas,in Nov 1949. But I took a lot of rabbits, racoons,coyotes, and wild hogs long before that, on my grandfather's ranch in Coleman county Texas, where I was born.

The Bear Grizzly re-courve I have today was bought new in 1960, and I took a couple elk, one black bear, and a moose with that one. I suffered a bad shoulder enjury and have not pulled a bow since 1965. The bow looks as new, and the arrows are new, and only occupy a place in my gun room today. Bows are fun, and are what hunting is all about, get close, and make the first shot count! That is one reason I'm so enamored with double rifles, and dangerous game! Dangerous game is only dangerous when you get close, just like bow hunting!

Good luck with your master eye problem! My youngest son (45 yrs old) has a left master eye, and is right handed, so shoots left handed. I had to buy him Ruger No1s because that was the only rifle that could be had, when he was growing up, with a good selection of big game chamberings, for a left hander! Your deer was an amazing feat, with that bow set up the way it was! ............Congratulations beer Good hunting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MacD37 wrote:
quote:
My youngest son (45 yrs old) has a left master eye, and is right handed, so shoots left handed. I had to buy him Ruger No1s because that was the only rifle that could be had, when he was growing up, with a good selection of big game chamberings, for a left hande

Without even thinking about it, that is probably why I have used Contender rifles and pistols for much of my shooting and, to a lesser degree, Encores. I shoot as a lefty, and though I do use bolt rifles, they are generally of right-handed persuasion.

I hate to hear about your shoulder injury. Right now, I am battling neuropathy and am having a hard time just walking. A few weeks ago, I felt like I could run the marathon (well, maybe the first 200 yards Smiler), but days like today, I do struggle.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, so he’s a fat little 2.5 year-old 3-pointer....certainly nothing impressive to write home about. But this is the first-ever arrow I have fired at a deer. I used to hunt with a compound for a few years in the 80s and gave it up. Then my uncle recently gave me a gorgeous old bow that has sat in the closet for probably 30-35 years.

So I strung it about 3 weeks ago, got me the supplies I needed and began practicing instinctive shooting. I am also shooting this right-handed bow as a lefty.

To make a long story short, just after noon today, I looked out to see bucks chasing does in an open field. I felt well enough today, so I threw on my camo, sprayed down with Dead Downwind and walked slowly through the huisaches.

The wind was right, and I made a slow approach (not like my neuropathy would allow me to walk fast anyway!). I was close and just had to wait for my chance. There were 2 bucks within range, and I would have been happy to tag either. One was a 13.5†wide 7-pointer, a 3.5 year-old buck, while the other was a 2.5 year-old 3-pointer.

But in our county, I already took my 13â€+ deer so needed to take one that was either a spike or had one unbranched antler.

The 3-pointer qualified, and when he stopped when I grunted at what later measured at 18 yards, I drew and fired when it felt right. The arrow looked like it was in slow motion as it headed towards the deer. I could see its arc in flight and watched it bury into the chest of the buck. He hunched up and then kicked with his back legs. He didn’t cover more than 20 yards before tipping over.

The arrow penetrated the top of the heart and a major vessel before exiting (barely) the offside shoulder. The broadhead was barely protruding as the bow does not have the horsepower of a compound, so I have to limit the range of my shots. But that’s part of the fun anyway.

So here is my “bruiser†of a buck. But in all seriousness, if the truth be known, I was probably more excited when I tagged him than the gorgeous 10-pointer I took on the 8th with my Encore in .308 WCF.

Please pardon the poor photo. I had no time for anything but a hurried snapshot as I had to hustle to get our 5 year-old twins from school.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote