New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of ya'll use a hand held gps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you guys use a handheld gps? I do.
I have used a lowrance "Ifinder Hunt C" for the last several years. I also purchased the Map Create 7 software. These days I do not go afield without it. I have used it in Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Montanta, and Hawaii. I love it. It really saved my ass one night on the side of a mountain in Colorado. We had gone a couple of miles up the side of a mountain on my four wheeler during the afternoon. Nite set in and it was snowing like a bitch. There were numerous turns and twists and we got bad lost. I sure did not want to spend the night in blizzard conditions on the side of that mountain. Luckily I had my gps with me and had turned on the my trails feature. I was able to zoom in to a hundred feet or so and retrace my path. I had taken the wrong turn where I had a choice of going three different directions. Was able to find my way back to camp. I am a believer in GPS's.
The other day I had the opportunity to rely on it again. A lot less dramatic but I was going to a stand on a 3,000 acre low fenced lease. Foggy as hell. Couldn't see five feet in front of me. I got lost two times following a trail I know by heart. Once I parked my four wheeler, it was only about 100 yds. to my stand. Got turned around twice trying to find my stand in 100 yds. When I turned on my gps which had the location marked, I had walked past it about 50 yds. Navigated right back.
As I said before, I do not go into the woods without one these days. To easy to use and too reliable not to use.
GWB.
PS I also carry at least two sets of spare batteries in my knapsack at all times.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup!! They are excellent tools. Love my Garman Vista HCX.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Rhino. For me it is an oversize compass and a walkie talkie.
I should probably learn to use all the functions but I think I'll wait till I'm lost to read the directions.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Do any of you guys use a handheld gps? I do.
I have used a lowrance "Ifinder Hunt C" for the last several years. I also purchased the Map Create 7 software. These days I do not go afield without it. I have used it in Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Montanta, and Hawaii. I love it. It really saved my ass one night on the side of a mountain in Colorado. We had gone a couple of miles up the side of a mountain on my four wheeler during the afternoon. Nite set in and it was snowing like a bitch. There were numerous turns and twists and we got bad lost. I sure did not want to spend the night in blizzard conditions on the side of that mountain. Luckily I had my gps with me and had turned on the my trails feature. I was able to zoom in to a hundred feet or so and retrace my path. I had taken the wrong turn where I had a choice of going three different directions. Was able to find my way back to camp. I am a believer in GPS's.
The other day I had the opportunity to rely on it again. A lot less dramatic but I was going to a stand on a 3,000 acre low fenced lease. Foggy as hell. Couldn't see five feet in front of me. I got lost two times following a trail I know by heart. Once I parked my four wheeler, it was only about 100 yds. to my stand. Got turned around twice trying to find my stand in 100 yds. When I turned on my gps which had the location marked, I had walked past it about 50 yds. Navigated right back.
As I said before, I do not go into the woods without one these days. To easy to use and too reliable not to use.
GWB.
PS I also carry at least two sets of spare batteries in my knapsack at all times.

Amen!!
I have two of them, both Garmin make, a 76CS and an Etrix that I use just to find the car... Big Grin
The 76CS does everything you could ask for, and more.
Spare Lithium Batteries go with me everywhere.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot mine has a great alarm clock and sunrise and sunset tables. Very handy.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have 2 garmin gps V.They have most highways and streets built in,and enough terrain markers(lakes ,ponds) to use when hunting or bicycling(or both)I use them when traveling longer trips,or to find an address I havent been to before.Has alot of businesses,(addresses and phone numbers,as well as a "go to" feature) restaurants,movie theaters ,grocery stores,hospitals,freeway exits,gas staions,just alot of useful info.Oh,and it has sunrise and sunset tables and fishing and hunting tables.
I put velcro on the bottom of the bases and on the dash of my truck,the handlebar bracket on a couple different bicycles ,my wifes car,the boat,and I had some on the fairing of my motorcycle.And it fits in the bib pocket of my wool hunting bibs,with the antenna sticking out.
I use it fishing,One time I got on a school of crappies,and would mark every fish as a "waypoint" with a little fish symbol on the map.After a few passes,we had several marked,and a nice group going.If we passed through the group of waypoints,we caught fish.If we missed off to one side,no fish.
I was able to turn the trolling motor over to my son and his friend and sit in the front of the boat and fish. fishing We ended up with over sixty fish marked that weekend,all catch and release. Without it,I would of had to throw out a marker,and attract other people to the spot.(I have had pontoons full of people anchor over the top of my marker, I had to ask them to pull up their anchor so I could retrieve my marker)
So yes,I do use them.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep.. and a compass, whenever i can .. i bought my gps to have a "magnetic" compass, so it doesn't need satellite lock to be available

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Garmin 76CSx. Seems to be a fun toy.
What software program should I get for it?
I've got a place around Rocksprings that is not fenced so some topo would be nice. I'm not worried about getting lost, my place isn't that big. Just making sure about my property lines.
I've got a Mule Deer/Elk trip planned for Colorado later this year where it will get a real work out.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my Garman quite a bit. works well but still carry a compass.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garmin GPS76csx, like my 'Merican Express. I don't leave home with ou it.

I have used GPS for quite a few years and mark all the locations of animals I have killed, it sure is neat to look at the maps and see all the places I have hunted. With the Garmin software you can even look at waypoints in google earth. Seeing the spots in Africa and Mexico and the different states in the Us is really neat.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I use an old Garmin and also carry a compass.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never saw the need for one. I know how to use a map and read a compass. Old school stuff always works and I never have to depend on a battery or an electrical source.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry one but use it for very specific purposes. I don't travel with the GPS on and I don't use it to determine direction as I walk.

I leave mine powered off normally. I carry extra AA batteries that also work in my other small lights and gear.

If I'm in a new area I "mark" the start/home location (truck, camp, etc.).

During the day if I find a good place to come back to in later hunts I "mark" the place.

I share my locations with my hunting partners, swap coordinates, so they can hunt the spots I've found. (or vice-versa)

If I need to bee-line back to camp I use the "goto" function and get the magnetic bearing back to camp. I use a standard compass to navigate.

If I desire or need I can pass my location to others in my group via lat-long coordinates over the cell phone or radio. They in turn key in the lat-long and come to me, or vice-versa.

I use it like a tool but I don't rely on it to get me out.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
I use a Garmin Map 60csx and have it on all the time. I hunt country that I'm not always familiar with and knowing how far a trail is that I may have used earlier in the day to enable me to take a short cut back to camp or to my truck is great, it also helps to learn new areas quicker.When back at camp I can review were I went and when I get home I can down load it to my computer and make a map for future reference.Not to mention the fact that with the map soft ware you can get for it you always have a topo map of the area you are hunting.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever use a Spot? I've been considering getting one.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikelravy:
Not to hijack the thread but I got one about a year ago. We used it up on the north side of the Brooks Range on a 3 week sheep hunt. We sent an "OK" message out every night and my wife received eveyone in both her e-mail and on her cell phone. Since she was going to be in the Lower-48 for part of the time, we had to get her a Hotmail e-mail account since her usual e-mail could not be accessed from another computer. The SPOT worked every time even in inclement weahter and when we were loacted in rather narrow east/west valleys. We were never concerned about beng lost but rather if one of us should become injured & needed help. IMHO, they work & I highly recommend one especially if a person is spending considerable time in the bush.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2. They're both summits. An older one and the new HC (heavy Cover)

I can download on to terrain navigator and upload locations I want to visit. With a compass as a back up, I have no fear of traversing any where in the US and canada.

I also buy maps from MYTOPO.com and carry a map of the area I am hunting.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear
Thanks for the report I'm going to get one I don't trek around the wilderness much but I do quite a bit of fishing on the great lakes where a spot could be a lifesaver, if it worked as advertised

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote