Find
Notify
Tools

Tipping your guide
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
How do you decide a proper tip for your hunting guide?

I know I saw a thread on this subject a while back but a search turned up nothing.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Alaska forum has a pretty extensive discussion on the subject.

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that this topic comes up on all hunting forums at least 2-3 times a year but in my experiences 10% of the total hunt cost was average for hunts up to $10,000. On out desert sheep hunts this of course was not the case as our sheep hunts are $60,000 and due to the cost of the hunts nobody should expect a huge tip. On our deer hunts I would probably average $850 and the hunts worked out to about $8500 for a five day hunt, the hunts were 1 on 1 hunts and we kill some slugs.
The biggest thing to remember when tipping a guide is that you have already paid the guide to do a job. If he is not getting very much of what you sent the outfitter then that is between he and the outfitter and you are not required to make up the difference with a tip. Also, after spending a week with a person you would have a pretty good idea as to what a hunter can affoerd and if I ever had a hunter try to give me more than what he should I would politely decline the tip. I do not mean this to be derogatory but if a guy has 3 kids at home and has saved for 3+ years for this hunt I can only imagine that he could do better things with the tip he tried to give me.
I have received nothing but a handshake on a few occasions after busting my ass for a week and I have been tipped $3000 for tagging out on the first day, tips are a bonus and guides should realize that. Stay within your budget and everybody will be good.

Drummond

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think 10% of the hunt cost is way more than most guides I've had in North America are worth. The best guide I've had in NA(Alberta) would not accept a tip because I did not kill an animal, even though I could have shot an immature bull.

I've tipped more than 10% when the service warrantied it but never in the USA or Canada. At times I've tipped the cook more than the guide.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most are not worth 10%, sounds like you need to research your hunts a little better. I am assuming that the person asking this question is going with a reputable outfitter and has done his homework checking references and whatnot.

Drum

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a guided hunt I budget 10% of the cost of the hunt for tips. That is to cover the guide, cook, wrangler. The actual tip is then determined by the service. I have no problem rewarding someone who goes above and beyond. That's my choice.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tip is not required, it is a gift, and whatever you tip is apprecieated by a professional guide. That is the attitude of all my African PHs....I think the average in Africa is 10% or the hunt or in some cases 10% of the daily rate, but again it is not required...Some hunters don't tip as a matter of fact.

In the USA, my guides expect a bit less and $200 to $300 seems to suit them fine or so they tell me.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, folks, really appreciate it!

I had been figuring about 10% but wanted to be sure that was in the ballpark.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note to self, if Ray ever wants to book hunts for you make sure to tell him your booked.

Why would it be OK for one guide to get more in Africa and another to get less in the US? It makes little to no sense to me. I tell the hunters that ask what is appropriate that it is up to them and explain what past clients have done. I will tell a client not to tip me though, they have already paid for the hunt, just tip the guides as they are crucial to our success.

Drum

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always ask the outfitter. The rates vary HUGELY from area to area which was probably Rays reasoning on the difference. Guides in Texas expect a lot less than guides in AK and for the most part they should. There is simply less work for a guide with a client that goes back to a lodge every nite Vs one who stays in a spike camp. So again I always check with the outfitter to verify what they think is appropriate is in line with my ideas and the cash in my pocket.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no question that there will be a HUGE difference in the amount of "work" that a guide actually does. Thats why I wised up after 2 years of wilderness hunts, LOL, and went to the private land gigs.

Drum

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sonora, your original answer a few posts back was one of the absolute best I've seen regarding this oft discussed topic. It also goes right in hand with my experience around the world.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
would someone explain to me how a desert sheep hunt costs $60,000.00. What exactly is that $60,000.00 buying? Is it even ethical that a person who has an extra $60,000.00 should have a better opportunity to hunt a sheep than a person who has $600.00?

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have $60K or are extremely lucky (to draw one of very few tags) you aren't going to hunt Desert sheep. That is pretty much the going rate--it's in Mexico, case you didn't know. Something is worth what you can get for it. You'll have to get in line with your $60K, too. Don't expect to go right away.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
<firemen>
posted
There are no books or laws on tipping.I tip what. one I can aford because Iam not rich and two how was my guide and hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually give my guides a pair of good boots, a custom knife,food they like or can't get in their area and 100-150 dollars. (all of the above). I feel this ok if they do an exceptional job. An item may be left out if the guide did not give 100%. Most guides i've found appreciate an item of use as much as $$$.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats another thought, some of the more memorable things I have been tipped include custom knives, an old rifle, tripod for my spotting scope etc... There are people around here that will make nice custom knives for around $200 and that would be a tip a guide would always remember you for.

Drummond

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done the same a few times. I always give a cash tip because that's what it takes to pay the bills. I am from Michigan so I like to give Marbles knifes. I can only think of one time I did any thing different and it was with a guide near Sonora Tx who collected hot sauces of all things. When we returned we sent him several bottles of off the wall hot sauces for his collection. This was of course in addition to the tip he was left at camp.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

Supply and demand. It's no more unethical than the fact some people drive old beaters and others can afford BMW's. That is the American incentive system. If you don't like your lot in life you have the opportunity to try and change it.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Skibum

Except for one thing, which is that, in the case of animals in the united states, The animals belong to all of the people rather than a for profit company. And therefore I respectfully disagree that it should be a matter of who can pay the most money to hunt the animal.
I probably would disagree that it should be that way anywhwere else as well, as the same concept applies.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tipping

I have had friends here in Montana that guide, and it is not unheard of for the outfitter to take the tips or at least part of the tips that are given to the guides.
So, if you tip your guide, make sure that he actually gets ALL the tip. Otherwise, get his home address and drop the tip in the mail to his home so that the larcenous outfitter can't get his grubby hands on it

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
huntsonora: I guess I'm just spoiled. I've hunted with top guides in Africa, and I have never received half the service by a guide in NA. The best guides I've had in NA were a rancher in Alberta and a French-Canadian backwoodsman from Anticosta.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you honestly tell me that if you were in the landowners shoes you would not get as much as possible for the tag? As for the United States, I have a tag for sale for $70,000 here in Texas. Now dont kill the messenger here, this is what the landowner wants and he has some HUGE rams on his place. It is sad that the prices for hunting private land keep rising but as long as there are people that will pay the price there is really nothing we can do about it.

Drummond

<Guest>
posted
yes, I can honestly say that.

blue

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I have gotten small tips from hunters who had "normal" sized incomes, and were great to hunt with that meant more to me than a larger tip from a guy who had more money than manners. If you think your guide is doing a graet job, show your thanks by being easy to get along with and being vocal about how happy you are in his work. Trust me, it's better to spend the week hunting with a new friend who's poor than to put up with some jerk who expects more because of the tip he'll leave.

Oh, and always leave something for the cook, they are the fogotten heros.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the rule of thumb for tipping your guide when he also owns the company?

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own my company and decline any tips offered to me. If a hunter does not offer a tip I am not at all offended as they have already paid me to do the job. If they insist I will ask them to please tip the cooks and other members of the team with it and if they still insist I will take the money as not to offend but that rarely happens, I think that most of the hunters understand.

Drummond

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Tipping is a personal thing. Over the years I have received as much satisfaction from a well meant handshake and an honest thank you from a financially strapped but genuine gentleman hunter than a $1000 tip from a jerk. BUT - if you are on a hunt ask yourself honestly how much you would charge to work 24 hours a day, in all kinds of weather, doing often difficult work. I think of all the times I've been asked "oh- you are a guide - you don't really work for a living?" every step of the way when I'm packing out a 150# moose quarter on my back through a mile of soft tundra and alders.
A 10 % tip is not unreasonable if you had a great trip in the US or Canada. In third world countries the actual guide doing the hunting may never make 10% of the price of a big hunt in his lifetime so it would be unwise to tip as generously. Ask the outfitter. He has a good idea of what the norm is. And don't forget the cook and other camp help.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote