Find
Notify
Tools

Food banks need your meat.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
If you have extra game this year (or beef, chicken, lamb, whatever). The food banks of America are really hurting this year with the economy.

Some states will not accept game but most will. Call and check.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99- Just returned from goat hunt with Bruce Parker. Five hunters on my hunt-sent all five goats to Food Bank in Anchorage.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Good on you olguy, everyone's coffers are empty.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We still have 8 doe tags to fill. Plan on donating all of them to the Sportsmen for Hunger program.

I spoke to one of the participating processors this afternoon, asking what I could do to make everything go smooth.

I was told to just take of the deer and get them brought in ASAP.

The local food pantry had two big freezers donated to them to store venison. They had more requests, than venison last year. Imagine it will be worse this year.

I will be using all copper bullets, no lead. This will avert any possible lead issues.

53gr Barnes TSX's out of 22-250. See if I can get my deer total over 30 with this combo.

That way all the naysayers can tell me it isn't enough gun. Cool stir

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Can food banks take wild game? I thought meat had to be FDA approved before they could receive it. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Can food banks take wild game? I thought meat had to be FDA approved before they could receive it. Lou

In most cases it just has to have been processed at a licensed/approved facility. They won't take meat from you if you process it at home, but if you take it to a butcher, they probably will.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote