Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Time - CO Bulls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I had the pleasure to be in on a few elk stalks this year. Our crew had a very successful 3rd season in a unit that is not known for large elk populations.

The most interesting part is all the bulls were taken with a Nosler offering: Accubond, Partition and Ballistic Tip.

30-06 180 grain Accubond 186 yards

30-06 180 grain Partition 250 yards

300 Win Mag 180 grain Ballistic Tip 200 yards

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a pair of nice bulls. That one taken with the .300 Win Mag looks like he's been in a few scraps! tu2

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys were blessed with a great season. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
You guys were blessed with a great season. Big Grin

Yes..very!!!

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Bunch of crazy ol' handloaders

Don't you guys know you can't "go out west" and trust anything but factory fodder

At least one of you nuts was holding up his magnum with a belt

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
But, I broke the cardinal rule about using a ballistic tip in said belted magnum. Roll Eyes

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
good stuff!!!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Arik was not shooting a .300 win mag but the old Ruger tang 77 .30-06 I gave him.
Rick

Posts: 19 | Location: Peyton, co | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
More bullet reports .....

Accubond retained weight of 110 grains = 61.1%

Partition retained weight of 112.5 grains with a 30 grain lead core separation = 62.5% or 79.2% dependent upon how you look at it.

Ballistic tip retained weight of 106.9 grains = 59.4%

Graybird

posted Hide Post
Sorry I thought Graybird said Arik was shooting the .300
Rick

Posts: 19 | Location: Peyton, co | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DANG! You fellas ROCK!
Nothing better than poking holes in Tan-sides,
accompanied by friends and family.
I love happy endings tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Elk die when shot with a 30-06?

Are you sure.....you must be drinking

No doubt Colorado residents kill elk year after year with the 30-06 or less but non-residents shouldn't try it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting...
All three bullets basically the same retained weight yet 3 different marketing and sales pitches.
Lots of variables but still makes me wonder if we are buying the same product in different wrappers.
Thanks for sharing.
Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graybeard,
Those retained bullet weights confirm to me that the front of Noslers are too soft. My personal experience is that the front of our 180 Nosler 30-06 Partitions that I and my sons used, retained only the back half of the bullets. The recovered portions had no front mushroom, only a caliber diameter section with engraved rifling.
It's apparent that those can do the job, but ever since I assessed our after-shot Noslers, I have migrated to monometal bullets.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Walzenburg Colorado and I shot a huge cow this year, hind quarters weighed 62 pounds each and backstraps 46 each, a real freak, never seen a bull with that kind of body weight that I recall..shot her in the shoulder at 346 yards off hand with a 210 Nosler in my .338 Win. on Ross McKennas ranch.

My years of trophy hunting are over and I have become a subsistence hunter to keep my heart doc happy who took me off beef, or rather limited me to 3 0z per week, but wild game is fine, so that's settled..Killed enough trophies in my life anyway, time to let them pass on to someone who has not..

If I had to settle on one gun it would be the 30-06 and a 180 or 200 gr. Noslers...Never seen that combination fail in my lifetime. Nice bulls, congratulations.

If the nose portion or forward portion blows off on a Nosler the rear portion exits and the damage is great either way..Never seen one fail and that's the issue here...The front portion tears up everything and the rear exits leaving a good blood trail in any caliber form 30 cal up has been my lifelong experience. The above elk did just that and went 25 yards and died, leaving a big blood trail. typical performance. I have seen too many monolithic bullets pinch shut and fail, rare but it does happen.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
86/87 pounds for one boned out shoulder/neck plus one boned out hind on the big bull I killed on certified scales last night at the butcher

86/87 is the combined weight of the two quarters

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
That would be 148 lbs worth of backstraps. What will backstraps on a moose weigh?

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just got back from Walzenburg Colorado and I shot a huge cow this year, hind quarters weighed 82 pounds each and backstraps 74 each, a real freak, never seen a bull with that kind of body weight that I recall..shot her in the shoulder at 346 yards off hand with a 210 Nosler in my .338 Win. on Ross McKennas ranch.

My years of trophy hunting are over and I have become a subsistence hunter to keep my heart doc happy who took me off beef, or rather limited me to 3 0z per week, but wild game is fine, so that's settled..Killed enough trophies in my life anyway, time to let them pass on to someone who has not..

If I had to settle on one gun it would be the 30-06 and a 180 or 200 gr. Noslers...Never seen that combination fail in my lifetime. Nice bulls, congratulations.

If the nose portion or forward portion blows off on a Nosler the rear portion exits and the damage is great either way..Never seen one fail and that's the issue here...The front portion tears up everything and the rear exits leaving a good blood trail in any caliber form 30 cal up has been my lifelong experience. The above elk did just that and went 25 yards and died, leaving a big blood trail. typical performance. I have seen too many monolithic bullets pinch shut and fail, rare but it does happen.

74lb backstraps?

What kind of cow are you talking about.....not an elk

I'm 6' 2"

My legs aren't that heavy each....bones feet....shoes an all

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Ray must have meant Backstrap and front shoulder at 74 pounds apiece.
That's the only way the math works, that or the butcher is getting in your pocket Ray and will charge you by the hanging weight to process it....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you start your "backstrap" just below the ear Big Grin
I could see one weighing at 74.
I'm not condeming cuz I've done it too.
Once you peal the shoulder you start as high up the neck as you can and "filet" the the length of the back in one piece per side.
Seperate the good stuff (loin) later and burger the rest.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good job on the harvest. We didn't make it out this year to the woods, too tied up with work. Usually have Noslers in all the hunting loads I work up. 160gr Partition in the 7mm mag, 200gr in the 300win and rum. My 375H&H loves the 260gr partition load, just have a hard time finding it. I'll probably take the 375 out next time, not because I need the power, but more because of how accurate I am offhand with the thing. Few years ago at a gun range, with nosler bullets, I was picking off pumpkins at 100yds offhand. Like a guided missile.

Posts: 15 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
If you start your "backstrap" just below the ear Big Grin
I could see one weighing at 74.
I'm not condeming cuz I've done it too.
Once you peal the shoulder you start as high up the neck as you can and "filet" the the length of the back in one piece per side.
Seperate the good stuff (loin) later and burger the rest.

That would still be one heck of a neck half off a cow to get 74 lbs per side, IMHO.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
never seen a bull with that kind of body weight that I recall.

This was the part that stood out to me. That and a dozen killed with clients in that area.
There is some prehistoric genetics present
in the elk there, but I never weighed any thou...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I wouldn't of had any tags, but man I miss elk/deer camp. It's been far too long since I was able to spend time afield with the guys..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I corrected the weights, ya got me..I transposed some numbers, so got the bill out..62, not 82 and transposed the back straps, 46 not 64..Still as big as any bull I have weighed or maybe not weighed?? Sorry if I excited you guys.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote