THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bull elk illegally shot, reward offered-Colorado

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bull elk illegally shot, reward offered-Colorado
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Elk illegally shot near Bondad; DOW offers $1,000 reward

The Durango Herald
August 11
Elk illegally shot near Bondad; DOW offers $1,000 reward

August 11, 2007By Ted Holteen | Herald Staff Writer

The Colorado Division of Wildlife is offering a $1,000 reward for information about a bull elk that was killed illegally near Bondad on July 28 or 29. If the guilty party is found, it will cost the poacher 10 times that amount.

The bull's six-point antler rack classifies it as a trophy animal and therefore subject to the Sampson Law, which imposes an automatic $10,000 fine for the illegal killing of such an animal. The Sampson Law fine is in addition to the regular $500 fine for the illegal taking of a big-game animal.

The elk was shot on private property near a gas well pad on the west side of U.S. Highway 550 and was still alive when a well worker found it July 29. The worker called the DOW, and officers determined the animal had been lying there for some time. Evidence indicated it had been scavenged by at least one bear. The officers found a single bullet wound in the upper shoulder that paralyzed the animal. A DOW officer euthanized the elk.

"Unfortunately, poaching is common throughout Colorado, but we still want to know of every incident we can," said Joe Lewandowski with the DOW's Durango office. "This man was very helpful in letting us know about the shooting, and we can use any bits of information, no matter how trivial, that people can provide."

Lewandowski said that even though the elk was shot on private property, it is still an illegal shooting because wildlife is considered the property of the state of Colorado.

Anyone providing information that leads to the arrest of the shooter is eligible for the $1,000 reward from Operation Game Thief, and tips can be given anonymously. To report a tip, call the DOW at 247-0855 or Operation Game Thief at (877) 265-6648.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see, a trophy class elk shot near a gas well pad. Anybody want to bet that it was shot by one of the roughnecks working at the pad? Can't prove it of couse, but whenever they start doing a bunch of oil and gas exploration, the game starts to get poached. And the trophy bulls and bucks get hammered first by the roughnecks. It's happened before and will happen again.

With the explosion of new gas and oil drilling permits being issued, this will not be the last we hear of this sort of activity. In my opinion, if they find it to be one of the workers at a pad, they need to fine whatever company he/she works for a couple grand as well. Maybe if the companies that hire the roughnecks are held responible for some of their illegal activities, then maybe they will encouage this sort of thing not to happen.

But if it wasn't a roughneck, then my comment is void. But I'll wager money it was. Who else would be in the vicinity of a gas pad in that remote country this time of year? The normal hunting season is several months off and there isn't much up that way to bring people in for sight seeing this time of year.

My 2 cents worth.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if it wasn't a roughneck, then my comment is void. But I'll wager money it was.

If it was a roughneck, do you get $1,000?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lets see, a trophy class elk shot near a gas well pad. Anybody want to bet that it was shot by one of the roughnecks working at the pad? Can't prove it of couse, but whenever they start doing a bunch of oil and gas exploration, the game starts to get poached. And the trophy bulls and bucks get hammered first by the roughnecks. It's happened before and will happen again.

The same scenerio, but with deer and antelope, are at epidemic proportions, at all times of the year, here in Wyoming, in the same types of locals. With the gas and oilfield booms there are significant wildlife poachings occuring in the fields. There should be a $10,000 reward in the case of the elk, and then make the poacher pay the reward on himself!!! Mad

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

I live in Durango, north of where this incident took place. Mac's premise is probably correct. I shoot and hang out with several of the local Dept of Wildlife officers and they will tell you that the proliferation of oil and gas exploration in SW Colorado has had a profound impact on the region's game. Their agency, for obvious political reasons, has no offical position.

Interestingly, in the same paper, on the same day, it was reported that a nearby Cortez, Colorado outfitter and taxidermist were indicted for wildlife-related offenses. Unfortunately, the hunting industry has no shortage of scoundrels either.

The article about the elk had a color picture of the bull. It had obviously suffered a great deal, for some length of time. Talk is cheap, I know, but how many of us would like to catch a guy in an act like that?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Stake him to the ground and set him on fire!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
But if it wasn't a roughneck, then my comment is void. But I'll wager money it was.

If it was a roughneck, do you get $1,000?

If it is a roughneck, we all get $1,000 dancing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:

With the explosion of new gas and oil drilling permits being issued, this will not be the last we hear of this sort of activity. In my opinion, if they find it to be one of the workers at a pad, they need to fine whatever company he/she works for a couple grand as well. Maybe if the companies that hire the roughnecks are held responible for some of their illegal activities, then maybe they will encouage this sort of thing not to happen.

But if it wasn't a roughneck, then my comment is void. But I'll wager money it was. Who else would be in the vicinity of a gas pad in that remote country this time of year? The normal hunting season is several months off and there isn't much up that way to bring people in for sight seeing this time of year.

My 2 cents worth.

Mac

Probably some drunk hillbilly dumb-fuck possibly navy? hillbilly
I have been on lots of well pads in the last 10yrs. I have yet to see an oil/gas field employee with a firearm at work. dancing

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about in Alaska, but at the sites in Colorado and Wyoming that I've been at, almost all the roughnecks drive their own vehicles to the pads. And most of those vehicles have a rifle rack that is never empty.

By the very article quoted in the discussion, the animal was paralyzed with a gunshot wound. Who else would be in the vicinity of a gas pad site except the roughnecks? Not exactly a spot the ranchers, tourists or hunters would be, even if there is a hunting season open, which there isn't.

Nope, I stand by my original train of thought. Based on the previous incidents in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah etc... It was probably one of the guys working the site. And most likely, like the others before him, he'll get drunk in the local town, start running his mouth and get turned in. And when they ticket him, he'll most likely be from another state and not a Colorado resident. The scenario has played out before and it will play out again.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
I don't know about in Alaska, but at the sites in Colorado and Wyoming that I've been at, almost all the roughnecks drive their own vehicles to the pads. And most of those vehicles have a rifle rack that is never empty.

By the very article quoted in the discussion, the animal was paralyzed with a gunshot wound. Who else would be in the vicinity of a gas pad site except the roughnecks? Not exactly a spot the ranchers, tourists or hunters would be, even if there is a hunting season open, which there isn't.

Nope, I stand by my original train of thought. Based on the previous incidents in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah etc... It was probably one of the guys working the site. And most likely, like the others before him, he'll get drunk in the local town, start running his mouth and get turned in. And when they ticket him, he'll most likely be from another state and not a Colorado resident. The scenario has played out before and it will play out again.

Mac

In South Central Alaska if you get caught with a firearm on site in your pov or not, its down the road! Too bad about a fine animal!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In South Central Alaska if you get caught with a firearm on site in your pov or not, its down the road! Too bad about a fine animal!

There are no rules here with roughnecks, drugs and guns included. If they inact to many rules or regs, they get no help. Right now in Wyoming, if you can pee clean, and promise to come to work, on time, you can get a job about anywhere. Once the wells are established, the pumpers, are restricted with some company's. But I still see them shooting coyotes and prairie dogs.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
regardless of who did it, why in the hell would anyone shoot a 6 point elk and leave it lay?? sorry but i just don't get it. that attitude is beyond my thinking ability

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote