New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H on Nilgai
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Nilgai hunt coming up in January. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about how tough these critters are. I have sighted my rifle in 2" high at 100yds. The ammo is 270gr Barnes XLC at about 2600fps-muzzle. Think this is an acceptable combination? The guys at this particular ranch say these critters come after you if you wound them...might be a chance to use my 600 OverKill!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
30-06 is enough. Your 375HH is plenty.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted these last year. Shot mine with a borrowed 338 Ultra mag. Drop like a sack of taters at 240yds. The guy with me using the same rifle made his shot at about 70yds. thing hauled butt. Guide made a hell of a shot on it at around 500yds running with a 340 wby. dropped him. I don't believe they would come after you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything can come after you but I have NEVER heard of a nilgai doing it. A couple of the guys I hunt nilgai with use 375 H&H and the 235gr TSX with EXCELLENT results. I have shot (3) bulls all with my 308 and 168gr TSX. All were recovered close. They general consensus at the ranch is 338 is the "best", don't tell the bulls I've already killed that though.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
A 375 H&H should be just fine.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
The 375 will be more than adequate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they do have the reputation of being TOUGH
let us know how you do

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the deal with nilgai. They are tough and big. Their skin is very elastic so it stretches with the bullet's exit leaving a very small exit wound. Their chests are very deep so they can hold A LOT of blood before they start bleeding exteriorly. All these factors add up to the fact that the larger the bullet diameter is the better the recovery chances/blood trails. I have seen double lung shot cows go 200 yards at full speed leaving zero blood behind. I hit one with a 7x57/160gr TSX combo. If she had been in the brush vs. the open it would have been a very difficult recovery.
The most important thing to remember with nilgai is that their heart is the same as any antelopes, low and BETWEEN the shoulders. Aim low and not behind but on the shoulder and you will be fine. If you take a frontal chest shot make it low.

Heres a bull I killed with a 308/168gr TSX combo. he only went 10-20 yards and bled a lot.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...681083031#1681083031

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they must taste good,cuz they are ugly and
have no headgear to speak of

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are excellent table fair.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
they must taste good,cuz they are ugly and
have no headgear to speak of

Apparently in their native habitat they are the main diet of the bengal tiger. As a result their senses are second to none. This makes them a great game animal for sport.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's on my texas list right after
simitar horned oryx,a big axis,addax,blackbuck....
just to name a few

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is we will be hunting from blinds. The 600 is out. I ain't shootin' that thing again unless standing up!

Even if allowable would a solid be a poor choice? I also have 300gr partitions, and 300gr TBBC.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the partitions.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Any 375 H&H round will work on Nilgai. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Where exactly will you be hunting?

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Near the Kennedy Ranch. Kleburg county, Texas.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would confirm the "hunting from blinds" as most I have known were spot and stalk hunts. Just my $0.02. In fact I took my 375 H&H but never had the opportunity to pull the trigger other than at dark thirty with him moving directly away. Passed on the $1500 shot and will go back another day.

Good luck and post up the pics.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on the hunt, and rest assured your H&H is more than adequate. A fellow I know from south TX has taken 4 over the past couple years using nothing but his .257 Roberts and 100 grain Partitions. While I'd personally prefer a little more bullet weight, his success -- 1 bull and 3 cows, the farthest of which made 60 yards -- goes to prove that nilgai, while tough, are by no means kevlar-coated.

Don't forget to post photos upon your return... tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
does anyone bow hunt for nilgai? i see all the threads on taking big guns but noone ever mentions bowhunting for them. i have an old fred bear video where he took one with his recurve, so i'm sure its possible, i just never see it on here.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
does anyone bow hunt for nilgai? i see all the threads on taking big guns but noone ever mentions bowhunting for them. i have an old fred bear video where he took one with his recurve, so i'm sure its possible, i just never see it on here.

Yes, there are several ranches that specialize in archery hunts for Nilgai. "Blue Bulls" as they are also known, are tough as Wildebeest. As mentioned, they are very wary and have thick, elastic hide, very similar to Wildebeest. The venison is excellent, and with a bow, quite a challenge to hunt.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ranch is actually 6 miles inside the Kennedy Ranch. A 6 mile easement! The owner purchased it as an investment. Whitetail deer are not hunted on the Kennedy-400,000ac. This place is tiny--only 170ac, but it has watering troughs and pea feeders. There are also 180-200+ class bucks walking around and they are the mainstay of the owners business. Nilgai are offered as a bonus. I will only be hunting Nilgai. I spoke with the owner last week to make the arrangements. He said he made $60K last year in two weeks!!! shocker We asked about leasing the place and he provided that amount saying there isn't anybody that could afford to lease it.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Near the Kennedy Ranch. Kleburg county, Texas.

Nope...ON the Kenedy Ranch in Kenedy County.

Hunting from blinds...confirmed.

This is an exciting chance to hunt a historically significant ranch. I'm planning on making time to stop at the museum on the way, I'd like to learn more about Sarita Kenedy East.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ON the Kenedy Ranch

Correction...it is no longer part of the Kennedy Ranch. Hunting Whitetail deer is not allowed on the Kennedy ranch. County wise, I'd have to look at a map.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
I'm part correct, but to clarify: The ranch is part of the OLD Kenedy Ranch & Exempt from the Whitetail buck ban.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of you may have figured out by now CamomanJ and I are hunting buddies. I was trying to make sure I was not giving out bum information. It is Kenedy county infact and a lot further south than I had thought. Wonder if my passport is up to date?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The owner purchased it as an investment. Whitetail deer are not hunted on the Kennedy-400,000ac. This place is tiny--only 170ac, but it has watering troughs and pea feeders. There are also 180-200+ class bucks walking around and they are the mainstay of the owners business

Off-topic, but why is there a ban on whitetails? Is it the landowner's preference or is there another issue?

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a living will stating no white tail will ever be hunted. These are really old ranches with lots of oil and gas money involved.

There are also a couple of 150-3Kac tracts down that way that are for sale between 1.5 and 250 Million!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok then, what is there not to like/love about deep S. Texas. Come on down, buy a ranch and enjoy the Eagle Ford Shale play - Yeeeeeeeeeha!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you'll get are surface rights. Mineral rights are not being sold.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure they are for sale, just bring another four grand/acre, yeeeeeeeeeeha! Gotta luv the oil patch IF you are a mineral owner!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any mineral owner in his/her right mind is not going to sell mineral rights for less than a whole shitload more than 4K an acre.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just talkin lease bonus money - ya know starting shot across the bow! Kinda depends on where ya are located?? Go figure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot all of mine with a 338 and 250 gr Nosler Partitions. Your 375 load will be fine. I Saw a guy shoot one with that cartridge, when right down. Some of the eating meat on the planet.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one of the hunters got a big bull and wanted to see what the penetration would be like with my .375 loads. Shot into the heart area between the front legs from 10ft away none of them exited! 250gr Northfork SS about 2700fps. One recovered and all the lead on the nose was gone. I wonder if the 270gr or 300gr having more mass would have had more momentum to keep going and exit. Doesn't matter. I am going back in the summer with NF cup point solids to proove that the right bullet will exit. The owners say they have never seen a bullet exit one of these beasts. I bet my 600 Overkill would put one down for the count even with softs.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot mine on the Yuturia ranch with a .300 win mag 200gr federal tbbc at about 80 yds. My guide instructed me to shoot him 8 inches below the hump on his back. This put the bullet square through the spine and dropped him in his tracks.

If I'm not mistaken, the Yuturia is next to the Kennedy ranch.

My guide was a bit disappointed that I "only" had a .300 win mag and hoped I would have brought a .375.
Bill Carter, owner of Carter's Country, told me he shot his twice with a .375 H&H and thinks they are very tough; second only to cape buffalo.

They are very good eating!

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yturria is about 50 miles further south. I was hunting La Atravesada. We were instructed to shoot in the neck only. The owner said he had never seen a bullet exit. And to think, I almost sighted my rifle in with solids.

I plan on going back with a .308 loaded with lathe-turned solids. My own design. Sorta like the old Barnes solid. They appear to have a boattail at either end.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member