Find
Notify
Tools

Gobi Ibex
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Has anyone hunted these guys? I went to a friends house to see his trophy room and amongst his 80-100 mounts he had a few ibex (few may be an understatement). His full body ibex mounts captured me and, well, I got to get one. I did a bit of brief research and the gobi ibex seems to be the best bet for me as it is relatively affordable and can be included with other game. (If someone has another suggection, please tell.) It is strange to think an ibex has surpassed every animal on my wish list. What is the hunting like for gobi ibex (mainly how steep are the hills)? What other animals can be hunted along with gobi ibex? (I would really like to collect more than one animal, 3-4 if I can.) Are there any restrictions on bringing animals back to the USA? How many animals are normally seen a day? Would my Howa 1500 in 30-06 work as an ibex rifle? Any info you guys can provide me with is appreciated. Pictures are also welcome. Thanks.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about anything specific for the ibex, but unless I am wrong, if you have the correct paperwork and the cape has been dipped by a taxidermist you can either have it shipped afterwards or take it with you....(the paperwork can take an age in some places so most people just have it shipped later on).

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, the bringing of the cape and horns with you is very easy and standard and there is no dipping for Capra species. They will give you the dried cape (important--it must be dry) and the clean skull cap and horns--horns slip off the skull, so you actually have 4 seperate items. You put them in your checked baggage. They will provide you with all the paperwork needed. You make contact AHEAD OF TIME with the USF&W in your port of entry into the USA, they will meet you there and it takes about 5 minutes and you're done. Try and avoid entering in through Chicago or San Francisco. There is a scam in Chicago that will cost you about $200 and the San Francisco people are rather hunter unfriendly. It is very simple, really.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Arts,

How do I make sure they "dry" the cape? I did hear about the whole wet and dry cape thing, but what if the animal is taken on the last day? I unfortunatly will be arriving in San Francisco because it's an hour or so from home. I presume my booking agent will arrange for the USF&W to be there to clear my trophies. I do know they are anti-hunting and anti-guns, but there isn't much I can do about it. I deal with it so they will clear my trophies, then I'll be on my way to the taxidermists. All that matters is I had fun doing it and they will be able to tell by the smile on my face.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some problem if you shoot one the last day. I've contemplated such, but haven't had to deal with it. I did have a case where a Blackbuck cape wasn't completely dry when I left camp in Argentina. I was spending a nite in a hotel in Buenes Aeres, so I took it out and spread it in the room. There was a hair dryer there and my cook, good lady that she is, CAREFULLY used the hair dryer to finish up the drying. The people you are hunting with will know it has to be dried and will get it done, provided it's not a last minute deal. Take a dry bag with you to pack all the cape, skull, and horns in. Try and get it in your check bag as opposed to being a seperate bag. Be warned, going to Asia, extra bags and weight are EXPENSIVE, so pack as light as you possibly can. If it isn't completely dry when you leave (it will be salted), don't dispair. In truth, I don't recall them ever actually checking one--course they might.

NO, your booking agent most likely WON'T make arrangements with USF&W (and I deal with a superb agent). You need to do that yourself. Call them about 2 weeks before you leave. Call 800/358-2104, which is the Washington main office and ask for the San Francisco number, or go to http://www.le.fws.gov/inspectors.htm. You will also need a Form 3177. It is best to get this ahead of time and have it filled out. You can get the form from forms.fws.gov. Go to section 3-177 and print it off. They will want to know your flight number and scheduled arrival time. If you can, arrive on a weekday. Often, if it is a weekend day, they will charge you, but not on a weekday. If they try and tell you that you need a broker, it is not so and not required. I think they get a kickback if you do use one. Also, if they try and tell you that a CITES permit or dipping is required, they are full of it, so politely explain that neither is required for Capra species (which is what Ibex are). The key with these guys is be nice and polite, even though it may be trying at times.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote