New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lyme bacteria
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The CDC has announced a new Lyme bacteria , Borrelia Mayonii . Similar to B. Burgdorferi and has been found in N Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Welcome to the club ! thumbdown Just sayin'

http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../02/160208135440.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I been fighting lyme's related carditis now for 6 months. I think I am getting on top of it at last.

This stuff is nasty wouldn't wish it on any body

ticks carry some very nasty stuff

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had it once maybe 10 years ago.Lucky I found the tick on me and the Dr.put me on antbiotic right away.The tests came back positive,but because my Dr.acted fast we licked it.I do a tick check starting in April daily.I think most of the ticks I come in contact with come off my dogs.They go on Frontline in April,plus get vaccinated for Lymes disease.In Wisconsin we actually had more problems with blastomycosis last year than Lymes disease.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky are those who find a tick right away.Many of us never knew we were bitten !
BTW it takes 45 consecutive days below freezing to kill a tick. They are active here now .
PA, NJ, NY are the top states now.
Lyme doctors ? I'm on my third one now ,who actually knows what Lyme is ! coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who just finished treatment for Lyme disease.

Before he was diagnosed, he suffered severely. Dizzy, passing out, severe head aches and on and on. He was tested for MANY things, some really serious stuff like MS. This went on for 6 month.

He just has his PIC line taken out 3 days early due to some complications. The 25 days of treatment were a nightmare for him. All sorts of side effects. They were so severe that he was basically confined to his house.

This guy is not an outdoors type either.

Lyme disease is serious business.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Well that's just great. I forgot bug spray while turkey hunting in Northern MN last spring and it was an awful mistake- was picking ticks out of my beard but none stuck around.

I use DEET on my skin but might as well treat my hunting clothes with permethrin for extra protection... good or bad idea?

Thanks for sharing the info.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I lost 30 pounds (back then I didn't need to), and fought it for about 8 months.

I have arthritis in places that I don't have muscles or joints, not to mention a lot of other problems

Good luck to you, and God speed to a fast recovery.

After I got sick, I started using dog shampoo before I'd go in the woods for fleas.

I recommend it, but it makes you feel off. I would bet it is slightly toxic to humans.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 friends here that contracted that nasty disease. It has taken them over a year and some nasty damn drugs to combat it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a fever (especially with a headache and joint aches) at a time of year you shouldn't then YOU need to remind your doctor that tick-borne disease is #1,2 and 3 on the differential diagnosis list.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../02/160209090352.htm

Here are some details .Yes Lyme is very nasty !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use DEET on my skin but might as well treat my hunting clothes with permethrin for extra protection... good or bad idea?

I permethrin all my out door clothes and gear like packs ect.

I find it is a great idea.

The best sound made by a forest fires is the sounds of millions of popping ticks as they get fried. dancing

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Its getting bad around these parts. Growing up, it was rare to get a deer tick and getting lymes was almost unheard of. In the last 5 years, my dog, wife, daughter, and I have all been tested positive for lymes and anaplasmosis. Doctors around here are very quick to hand out doxycycline. If you tell your Doc. that you spend a lot of time out doors they will often write you a script ahead of time for preventative care after a bite.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All this on top of the tick borne Bourbon Virus as well. Nasty creatures.

Bourbon: New Tick Disease

By Joe and Terry Graedon | Tuesday, 10 Feb 2015 04:34 PM

Add the Bourbon virus to the growing list of tick-borne infections.

After the death of a man in Bourbon County, Kansas, last summer, doctors scrambled to identify the virus that killed him. It has never been seen before in the United States.

It is apparently related to viruses found in Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe, and is also somewhat similar to the heartland virus identified in Missouri several years ago. That one is also transmitted by ticks.

Symptoms include fatigue, fever, and loss of appetite. Bourbon virus can also cause muscle aches and pain and elevations in liver enzymes.

Unlike most other diseases transmitted by ticks, the new infection cannot be treated with antibiotics.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#tickslivesmatter

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I have two friends who battle it daily. Both weren't diagnosed for a year. It goes in remission but is never cured.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a can of permethrin spray for my clothes in advance of turkey and mushroom hunting. We'll see how the bloodsucking bastards like it and DEET together.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
permethrin spray for my clothes in advance of turkey and mushroom hunting. .

it well kill them little buggers nicely

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contracted Lymes in '89. It took me a while to seek medical help because in those days I was very healthy, didn't even have a regular doctor. I grew up in Texas and ticks were just a part of life in the outdoors, not something to get excited about.

After weeks of IV antibiotic cocktails (primarily Rocephin) I was somewhat over it, but it left me with some parting gifts. I developed arthritis and my immune system has been deteriorating ever since I contracted the disease. If one can avoid it, I would advise doing so.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
I contracted Lymes in '89. It took me a while to seek medical help because in those days I was very healthy, didn't even have a regular doctor. I grew up in Texas and ticks were just a part of life in the outdoors, not something to get excited about.

After weeks of IV antibiotic cocktails (primarily Rocephin) I was somewhat over it, but it left me with some parting gifts. I developed arthritis and my immune system has been deteriorating ever since I contracted the disease. If one can avoid it, I would advise doing so.

Have you considered retreatment long term there are too thoughts on lymes short term and long term.

Having recurring problems I would look at long term treatment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you tell the difference between recurring Lyme and a new bite ?
Anyway I guess it will be with me for along time !
thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Have you considered retreatment long term there are too thoughts on lymes short term and long term.

That's a good idea, I assumed that my current physician has all of my medical records, but I've never engaged in an actual discussion about the long term consequences of the disease. Of course when one gets into his 60s all sorts of bad things are happening as part of the ageing process.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
How do you tell the difference between recurring Lyme and a new bite ?
Anyway I guess it will be with me for along time !
thumbdown

That's one of the problems it is very hard to do.

A new bite might show a increase in antibodies in your system but it is not a sure thing.

I concluded that if your having symptoms does it real matter if it is old or new.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

That's a good idea, I assumed that my current physician has all of my medical records, but I've never engaged in an actual discussion about the long term consequences of the disease. Of course when one gets into his 60s all sorts of bad things are happening as part of the ageing process.

I am a firm believer that some of those quote old age things might be lymes related.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The only thing fire ants have going for them is they devour ticks. I find one, maybe two ticks a year on my dogs and only see a few of them myself. Fire ants are a pain, I'd rather them than Lyme bearing ticks.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I had it last fall. The doxycycline was almost as bad as Lyme; it completely eroded my esophagus. The disease and cure both suck!

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn I didn't know that fire ants ate them.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
I had it last fall. The doxycycline was almost as bad as Lyme; it completely eroded my esophagus. The disease and cure both suck!

That's to bad I have used doxy three times now besides a little sun burn no side effects.