THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Area to hunt in colorado for elk that does not allow ATVs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Area to hunt in colorado for elk that does not allow ATVs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to do my first do it yourself colorado elk hunt either sex. My question is what areas do not allow ATV's. I feel these areas would have less traffic and more animals not being driven away. I plan on using a .458 lott with a 300 to 350 grain bullet is this overkill?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for the wilderness areas. Be prepared to hike a lot.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I'm looking to do my first do it yourself colorado elk hunt either sex. My question is what areas do not allow ATV's. I feel these areas would have less traffic and more animals not being driven away. I plan on using a .458 lott with a 300 to 350 grain bullet is this overkill?

I generally use a 270.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate ATVs but learned to turn them to my advantage. I grew up hunting elk in CO and when ATVs became popular I simply changed my hunting habits. Now, I go in a couple of miles a day or 2 before the season opens and set up a very quiet camp. No fire, no noise, no excessive moving around. Sit chill out nice and quiet.

On opening day, when all the lazy guys on ATVs begin "hunting", the elk are going to head my way. If I did a good job scouting and have picked a spot where I can watch a couple travel routes, I take my elk while it is sneaking away from the machines. I've shot a number of elk this way.

Best part is, the guys with the ATVs never even know that I am using them to my advantage. As to weapon choice, I'm a 7mm Mag fan. Sometimes the shots can run long and the Lott isn't the best tool for long range work. But, to each his own.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So as the elk come down from the tree line and the ATV's drive them back to the tree line? Do you guys use elk calls?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I plan on using a .458 lott with a 300 to 350 grain bullet is this overkill?

you are kidding, right?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Definitely not enough gun ... horse

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
I plan on using a .458 lott with a 300 to 350 grain bullet is this overkill?

you are kidding, right?

Guys, don't be so quick to condemn! We had a well respected "big-bore expert" forum member(now banned) who needed 6 or 7 shoots(and hours of tracking) from a Lott to kill a cow elk a few years back. I would mention his name but his posse would be on my a## for sure.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if this is your first elk hunt in Colorado have fun but don't discount the use of an ATV.
I have hunted Colorado as a non resident for over 20 years and can tell you finding an area you can walk into and you think you are alone is not easy. You can think you are back to nowhere and you will find someone on a horse , atv or possibly a truck.
My suggestion is get high at early morning stay all day and glass. Last year was one of the rare years during elk rifle in Colorado some where harvested after calling. They where bugling late into the season.
Don't let anybody fool you elk hunting is not easy.
I hunt unit 80/81 and have for years my buddy and I have harvest over 30 bulls in that area. Not monsters but nice bulls for meat.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find it pretty tough to get to an isolated place where there isn't an orange vest behind every tree in Colorado. But then, sometimes that can be used to your advantage as Pirate described above. I would strongly suggest doing some scouting prior to the season opening if possible.

In the areas I've hunted, area 74 and 741 around Silverton, ATVs are allowed in most parts but it's simply too steep to use them, other than taking the road a good piece up the mountain. From there, it's a matter of being in good enough shape to top the next couple of mountain ridges over. If you can do that, you'll find some remoteness. It helps if you can take a spike camp with you, maybe going with a partner and splitting the gear. Otherwise, it's a tough haul to get back in there every day due to steepness and altitude. If you do score back in there, you might want to arrange for horses to help pack your animal out. I've done this a couple of times and it works well. If this is your first elk in hunt in Colorado however, don't underestimate the physical commitment it takes to be successful unless your doing a private land hunt.

You definitely don't need that Lott for an elk. Most of my shots at elk have been on the rather long side, probably averaging 250 - 300 yards. I would suggest something with a little reach to it instead. I used to prefer the 340 WBY with 225gr TSX bullets but have switched to a 300H&H and 180gr TTSX bullets. They can certainly be taken reliably with smaller rifles assuming proper bullets and bullet placement.

I agree with Larry as well concerning calls. I've had zero success with them other than to momentarily stop a bull for the shot using a cow call. Also, in 2007, hunting area 76 on public land that is almost impossible to access without horses, and we were using an outfitter, we did call in a bull with him bugling all the way as we were on the very end of the rut. There were no other hunters in the area as well to educate them.

Have fun but get in the best shape you can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am relatively new to elk hunting in CO myself so take reply for what it is worth. I have hunted the past two years in CO in GMU's that did not allow motorized vehicles of any kind. Last year our hunting party of 4 backpacked over 3 miles into a very promising area at nearly 11,000 ft just north of Del Norte and, never saw an elk. The other side of the mountain allowed ATV's and we heard gun fire off and on for 2 days. The year before we hunted in the Gunnison Nat'l forest more than 12 miles into the West Elk Mountain area. The only elk we saw was nearly a mile away, across a steep river valley with no way to reach them. Our guide wisely shared with us that elk aren't predictable. He had seen a nice bull grazing amongst his mules the day before we got there.

This year we have applied for a hunt in New Mexico where motorized vehicles are allowed. I hope my luck changes. With regard to your rifle, you don't need that much gun and I'm guessing it is one heavy rifle. It will certainly work on elk, but I sure wouldn't want to carry it while hiking and climbing around in the mountains. Good luck!!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well physically im in pretty good shape. I lift three times a week and run at least 3 miles twice a week. I went from florida to colorado and climbed Quandary Peak which is over 14,000 feet. Im more concerned about my lack of experience and there being to many hunters in one area. So do you guys just keep cresting mountain after mountain or do you look for scat, foot prints, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that winter Quandary climb was definitely not easy but fun.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that winter Quandary climb was definitely not easy but fun.

I see you survived the mountain goats on Quandary!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Steel,

Being in that kind of shape will certainly give you an edge for the task at hand. I've been hunting elk off and on for the last 18 years or so but I still wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject. One thing I do know about them however is that they are not really pattern driven in the way that whitetail deer are.

To your comment about scat and tracks, of course, that gives you evidence that elk have been in the area so you'll know the area isn't completely barren of them, but I've heard a lot of elk experts state that the only elk track that is of current and immediate use is one in which an elk is standing! They tend to move great distances and think nothing of going miles for a drink of water without returning to the same area for extended periods of time.

Some of the guys with more expert experience can chime in but I've been advised, and this has worked pretty well for me, that you really need to travel the mountain, covering as much ground as you can, until you actually find the animals. Throw in a few soft cow calls and "Mews" to cover any noise you make as you move along. Elk are often a bit noisy themselves, so listen often for the sounds of "Mewing". Keeping the wind in your face as best you can, one often picks up the musky smell of elk before actually seeing them. Hearing a rock rolling down the mountain is usually worth checking out as well. Once you find them, then all tactics change to what your are typically accustomed to in terms of visual and scent concealment, working your way into range. You may also need to shadow the herds for an extended period of time until conditions prevail that will allow you to close for the shot.

All that is very much easier said than done and I'd head out on your first season with the idea of learning as much as possible from actually being afield, enjoy the time in the mountains, and realize that luck will play a huge part in being successful until you learn the ropes a bit. Of course, hiring a guide for your first outing could drastically increase your chances of success and speed up the learning process.

However you proceed, I wish you luck and fun. It's a great time of year to be in the mountains.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Todd there are an abundance of things you stated there that are "spot on". You've obviously paid attention on your outings.
Just a few things, some already stated.
"The only elk tracks that matter are the ones the elk are standing in"
If you see an elk "keep shooting until his feet are in the air". Elk are not deer and don't shoot and then admire your shot, keep shooting.
Elk are very mobile unless they are in a place where they are not disturbed they can and normally do travel great distances.
A big gun isn't necessary for elk but accurate shooting is. I've seen elk suck up 3 shots from a .338 and show no signs of a hit then just topple over and I've seen them drop at the shot with far lesser calibers. Take a capable rifle but make sure you shoot it well, shots from 25 yards to 450 are not uncommon.
Elk are unpredictable and even more so if they see pressure. For some people elk are a long learning curve.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea those mountain goat can be vicious. On my last trip to colorado I spot a huge hear of elk on the side of the highway by breckenridge and that really sparked my intrest in hunting them. I also plan to travel out their to work for about 6 months to a year so I will be sure to do some scouting ahead of time. Im not expecting to be successful my first go but ill give it my all. Thanks for the tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know about elk hunting is they are delicious table fare! But after listening to you guys sounds like they are a lot like moose. Hard to drop, answers to calls at the right time, etc.
Like the comment about " The only elk tracks that matter are the ones the elk are standing in". Track soup doesnt taste to good.

Do most of you guys that live in Colorado use ATV's? We own a couple and before we started running up the Yukon and Koyukuk they were are primary method of getting into hunting grounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few roadles areas here in Colo. We usually camp at the end of a 4wd road and hunt a mile or two in+up on foot every morning. Just have to find one with no atv trails within 3-4 mi. of where you want to hunt. Forest service maps can help you out with that. That said it is still not easy.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any bear in elk areas? Is it leagle to carry a side arm while hunting that is not concealed?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes there are plenty of Bears in some areas, open carry is permisable everywhere. However Bears are typically NOT a threat. Wild Bears run the opposite direction when they smell or see people. Campground or dump Bears are a problem.
I've never felt a need to carry a sidearm for Black Bear protection.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, but while trying to use a bugle to pull an animal in might not be the best choice, a cow/calf call, especially if you are doing an either sex hunt is worth trying.

To me, any elk killed, especially on Public Land is a trophy. Doing an either sex hunt, depending on the weather conditions and amount of animals you are seeing and it being your first elk hunt, don't get greedy.

If it is the first day of your hunt or the last day, if you run into a legal animal, shoot it and get the first one under your belt. Your whole hunt and the success there of, might totally rest on one opportunity. I have eaten my share of tag soup because I did not take a shot.

While having killed an elk with my .375H&H, and white tails with a .458 Win. Mag., in all honesty something in the .284/.308/.338 caliber range might be a better choice if you have something in those lines. This is all just my opinion.

Best of Luck on your hunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any bear in elk areas?

You stand a far greater risk dying in a car wreck while driving to your hunting area or being struck by lightning in the middle of winter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guy's are right on
I usually take my ATV back 7 miles which takes about 90 minutes. To about 9,500 ft then head up the mountain to the top, to right at 12,000 feet.
We usually get our elk the first day or two.
Last year we had most guys get their elk not far from the trailhead where many hunters travel everyday. The elk are very unpredictable. Pre scouting is good for the first days hunt. Sometimes it takes many trips to find the pattern they travel.
One thing I can say don't fall into the hunting habits on public land of only hunting till 10 am and starting the last hour. You need to be out there all day I have shot a bunch of elk walking around after the so called peak times. Its true some elk will lay all day but on public land you always have people walking around or moving ATV'S. If the elk are bothered they move and most people are to busy heading back to camp to eat or knap they miss the movement of the elk.
Also don't give up most places I have seen many hunters are quitting by Monday and leave.
I have shot elk the last 2 days many times even the last evening.
Can't shoot them if you are not out there.
Why wait all year to hunt them then spend time in camp eating or sleeping. Don't figure.
Have fun, hunt hard and enjoy the thrill of the harvest of a bull.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
These guy's are right on I usually take my ATV back 7 miles which takes about 90 minutes. To about 9,500 ft then head up the mountain to the top, to right at 12,000 feet.We usually get our elk the first day or two.Last year we had most guys get their elk not far from the trailhead where many hunters travel everyday. The elk are very unpredictable. Pre scouting is good for the first days hunt. Sometimes it takes many trips to find the pattern they travel. One thing I can say don't fall into the hunting habits on public land of only hunting till 10 am and starting the last hour. You need to be out there all day I have shot a bunch of elk walking around after the so called peak times. Its true some elk will lay all day but on public land you always have people walking around or moving ATV'S. If the elk are bothered they move and most people are to busy heading back to camp to eat or knap they miss the movement of the elk.Also don't give up most places I have seen many hunters are quitting by Monday and leave.I have shot elk the last 2 days many times even the last evening.Can't shoot them if you are not out there.Why wait all year to hunt them then spend time in camp eating or sleeping. Don't figure.Have fun, hunt hard and enjoy the thrill of the harvest of a bull. Larry

That is about the best advice that can be given if a person wants to kill an elk, Period!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ATV's are not allowed in most places that on high way vehicles are allowed now days in Colorado.

I use an ATV occasionally depending on the unit. The way I use it is to get up the legal roads faster and without beating my truck or jeep to death in the process. When I get to where I am going to start hunting I park it and hike in. So legal ethical use of an ATV is no big deal and it has no more impact on wildlife than does a truck or a jeep.

I also use horses when I can and the area makes sense for it. I can take you to places on public land in Colorado where you won't see any other hunters in over the counter units. But you'd better bring your man suit and be prepared to wear it out because it's gong to be a tough steep and deep kind of a deal.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Look to a more friendly gun state for your DIY Elk Hunt!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote