THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Photographer scores Wyoming Grizzly Tag/UPDATE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photographer scores Wyoming Grizzly Tag/UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://mountainjournal.org/ame...ight-to-kill-grizzly

Link has article and numerous photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That guy was profiled on 60 Minutes several months ago.

He states that killing a bear to make it into a rug defiles it, and states he used to hunt, "But no one kills grizzlies to eat them."

So what? Why is killing an animal to eat it morally acceptable? He doesn't have to eat a steak, he does it because he enjoys it. Vegetarians find his practice of eating meat "morally reprehensible."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The article brings up something that I have been wondering about since the 1990's.

With the influx of people from the West coast into the various Mountain States and the general changing attitudes toward hunting, I wonder, with the record numbers of applicants for the various tags in the various states, how many of those tags are being drawn by Non-Hunters?

Do the Game Departments have anyway of finding out?

Yuppie non-hunters/anti hunters in states where there are limited licenses, how do the Game Departments know if the folks buying licenses and drawing tags are actually hunting or are just keeping folks that do hunt from hunting or do the Departments care as long as the money is coming in.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I find this quite suspect that he drew a tag. Makes me think the draw was not legitimate considering high odds.

Despite his expense and choice to not hunt, this will probably mean there will be more tags issued next year since there will be one less tag filled this year.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm #229 in the ranking. Anyone get close?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/DrawResults/frmSearch.aspx

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the reason I commented as I did, is what better to mess game management up than for non-hunters/anti hunters to apply for tags and then toss them.

Can a state game department FORCE anyone to hunt just because they bought a hunting license or drew a limited entry tag?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is more amazing is that no one seems to be able to come up with evidence highlighting how hunters and hunters $'s made the comeback possible. We need to figure out how to get out our story in a positive way. We need better messengers obviously.

Don't try to make this person a villain. He drew a cheap grizz tag, as a resident I believe the cost was $600, that he can do with what he wants. He only has the "stage" for 10 days, let it pass.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
What is more amazing is that no one seems to be able to come up with evidence highlighting how hunters and hunters $'s made the comeback possible. We need to figure out how to get out our story in a positive way. We need better messengers obviously.

Don't try to make this person a villain. He drew a cheap grizz tag, as a resident I believe the cost was $600, that he can do with what he wants. He only has the "stage" for 10 days, let it pass.

Slim is right; if he doesn't shoot one it goes to the next one in line. If all the tags are filled by guys like him, there will be more next year, and what better way to fund conservation?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
I'm #229 in the ranking. Anyone get close?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/DrawResults/frmSearch.aspx

I'm curious where that stands as a NON-RES? I'm 289 as a NON-RES

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Slim is right; if he doesn't shoot one it goes to the next one in line. If all the tags are filled by guys like him, there will be more next year, and what better way to fund conservation?

Interesting. Up here in most provinces the draws are for "hunters" really, not dead animals. So as an outfitter I, on quota, get X number of black bear licences for clients. So if I have 10 bear tags or 20 bear tags it actually is 10 or 20 bear hunters. If a hunter does not get a bear, I cannot re sell it.

That was an issue in days gone by as, hunters were of course convinced that outfitters would deliberately make sure they did not, as in this instance get a bear, so they could re-sell it and run another hunter.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apply for Doe tags for the unit I hunt in expressly to not shoot them.There are too many doe tags offered in my unit.Quite a few folks around here do the same.There are units around here that is ag land and full of tags for free if you need a doe.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't try to make this person a villain.

I am not trying to make anyone a villain, I am simply pointing out something that might be happening, something that the Game Departments have no way of tracking.

quote:

We, Hunters as a group need to grasp reality and understand that we are a shrinking minority. It wasn't $$ from hunters that helped Grizzly numbers increase, it was USF&W and the states shutting down all hunting of Grizzlies that caused the comeback.

Hunters and game managers in Wyoming were able to convince the Feds that allowing this hunt would be a good management practice.

You know, USF&W, those fine folks that brought wolves to your area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

I am not trying to make anyone a villain, I am simply pointing out something that might be happening, something that the Game Departments have no way of tracking.

quote:

We, Hunters as a group need to grasp reality and understand that we are a shrinking minority. It wasn't $$ from hunters that helped Grizzly numbers increase, it was USF&W and the states shutting down all hunting of Grizzlies that caused the comeback.

Hunters and game managers in Wyoming were able to convince the Feds that allowing this hunt would be a good management practice.

He didn't say it was you making the guy a villain and FYI more than $50 million dollars has been spent by the WY G&F Department to better the grizzly numbers to a sustainable level where a hunt could be held after bears were delisted in the three states of WY, ID, and MT so please don't make statements that you know nothing about! The states also didn't have to convince the USFWS to get a hunt since after delisting all the states need to do is keep the number of bears above the agreed upon minimum levels and they can do that any way they want to just like with wolves levels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I find this quite suspect that he drew a tag. Makes me think the draw was not legitimate considering high odds.

Despite his expense and choice to not hunt, this will probably mean there will be more tags issued next year since there will be one less tag filled this year.

quote:

That is exactly what random draw allows and it's more than legitimate that he drew even though the odds were bad. If the hunt even gets to him as #8 on the list he'll only have ten days to take pictures or whatever else he wants to do or not do and then #9 would be called. The way the hunt is set up in units 1-6 the #1 guy drawn could shoot a sow and the season would be over.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I apply for Doe tags for the unit I hunt in expressly to not shoot them.There are too many doe tags offered in my unit.Quite a few folks around here do the same.There are units around here that is ag land and full of tags for free if you need a doe.

So apparently you think you know more about how deer in your area need to be managed than the professional Biologists?
You could be doing more harm than good, makes you no different than the activists applying for Griz tags.
Those Bears need to be harvested, they have already reached and exceeded target numbers and are now over populated for the range.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
quote:

quote:

He didn't say it was you making the guy a villain and FYI more than $50 million dollars has been spent by the WY G&F Department to better the grizzly numbers to a sustainable level where a hunt could be held after bears were delisted in the three states of WY, ID, and MT so please don't make statements that you know nothing about! The states also didn't have to convince the USFWS to get a hunt since after delisting all the states need to do is keep the number of bears above the agreed upon minimum levels and they can do that any way they want to just like with wolves levels.

I almost can't believe it but I completely agree with Topgun, 100%
nilly

Crazy horse you are way out of your depth on this one, do some research you are not even close.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same thing olbiker said about doe tags happens in PA quite a bit, besides the luck of the draw vs an almost guaranteed tag, is this much different?

my real questions/comments:
-does this guy still have to pay the license fee?
-what can be done in the future to increase hunters applying?
-not wishing any severe ill will upon this bear huger, but wouldn't it be a bit ironic if a bear at least used his camera for a toothpick

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been rumors of this happening where and when ever special tags are available.

Most of the time the anti's don't draw.

Make no beans about it this guy is a ANTI trying hard to couch His anti thoughts in the I WAS ONCE A HUNTER BS.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the reason I commented as I did, is what better to mess game management up than for non-hunters/anti hunters to apply for tags and then toss them.

Can a state game department FORCE anyone to hunt just because they bought a hunting license or drew a limited entry tag?

Which begs the question that any intellectually honest person would ask: Is hunting part of species management or just for the enjoyment of hunters? We know the answer is yes to both but I'm fairly certain how the antis would answer given that they don't care about anything other than emotion and anthropomorphization.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
So help me understand this hunt.

Only one person at a time is allowed to hunt for 9 days for a grizzly? If they don't make a kill then another person hunts the whole area for 9 days, etc, etc?

If this is the case, that seems like a weird way (to me) to reduce some population numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:

That is exactly what random draw allows and it's more than legitimate that he drew even though the odds were bad. If the hunt even gets to him as #8 on the list he'll only have ten days to take pictures or whatever else he wants to do or not do and then #9 would be called. The way the hunt is set up in units 1-6 the #1 guy drawn could shoot a sow and the season would be over.

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the time the anti's don't draw.

Who really knows how often antis/non-hunters draw?

I do not even know for sure that antis/non-hunters are doing this, but if they are who would know if they were drawn or how many were drawn?

I mean unlike this guy, there won't be any news stories about them and if at the end of season the Game Department involved notifies them concern their hunt and whether they were successful, I dseriousl;y doubt that they are going to admit that they are agasinst hunting and just put in the draw to keep an actual hunter from drawing.

As I said in my first response on the topic I have been curious as to the possibility/probability of this sort of thing happening when Colorado went to the draw system in the mid 1990's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To address Aspen Hill Ann- this is to address the taking of females. If the field were flooded with hunters and too many females taken, hunt over- likely forever. This whole hunt is a hot potato issue; we'll be lucky if it happens at all.

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
So apparently you think you
know more about how deer in your area need to be managed than the professional Biologists?
You could be doing more harm than good, makes you no different than the activists applying for Griz tags.
Those Bears need to be harvested, they have already reached and exceeded target numbers and are now over populated for the range.

Actually, I am on the deer study committee for this area.I helped capture and collar deer here and we did a head count last winter.I have been on the committee for the last five years and have been involved in Wisconsins Conservation Congress for the last 40.So yes I probably know as much as the local game biologist.Unfortanatly our DNR would rather sell deer tags then actually listen to the folks who have been out in the field.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another thought I had about this:

do we know the guy actually drew or is he just saying it?

we know the Wyoming game & fish probably won't confirm/deny who did or did not draw a tag so this guy could just be blowing smoke to get people worked up....

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Tim you very well could be correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The article states 650,000 people oppose the hunt. Who gives a shit what they think. Most don't live in or pay taxes in Wyoming. States need to manage there own wildlife as they see fit . Not what the federal government thinks or a bunch of tree huggers. Can't wait for MT to open a season as we have way to many grizzlies out here who have lost there fear of man. Not sure how tags could be saved for people who are actually going to hunt and not those just trying to flood the lottery to get tags they are not going to use.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how tags could be saved for people who are actually going to hunt and not those just trying to flood the lottery to get tags they are not going to use.

The easiest way is issue more then one tag then allow the hunt to continue unless the number of bears needed are shot.

Or issue more then one tag and then charge a trophy fee equal to the price of the lic. on the bears shot.

The way this hunt is structured is more to please the anti's then the hunters.

There are ways if one has an imagination.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com...3b-d030db7315eb.html

Two no-gun shooters win griz hunting tags

'Shoot 'Em With a Camera' campaign cuts into number of chances a grizzly will be killed.
By Mike Koshmrl 1 hr ago

Nature and wildlife photographer Tom Mangelsen won one of 22 tags to hunt a grizzly bear this fall. Mangelsen, who drew tag number 8 in the draw announced Thursday, said he does not plan to use the tag to harvest a grizzly bear.

The second person who will have the option of hunting grizzly bears near Jackson Hole this fall has no intention of shooting and killing one of the bruins, anti-hunting activists say.

Jackson wildlife photographer Tom Mangelsen made a splash in the news around the world last week when he beat long odds, drawing No. 8 on an “issuance list” that will allow up to 10 grizzly hunters, one at a time, into the field starting Sept. 15. But another Jackson resident is actually better positioned, and drew the No. 2 spot on the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s list.

“She’s going to go out and shoot them with a camera,” said Ann Smith, a longtime Jackson resident and conservationist who helped spring the “Shoot ’Em With a Camera” campaign.

The successful applicant’s identity is public information, though the News&Guide is choosing not to name her or other hunters who lucked out in the draw. Manglesen identified himself.The woman did not respond to requests for an interview.

The Shoot ’Em group’s tactic was to attract nonhunters to apply for Wyoming’s first grizzly hunting season in 44 years. It appears the nonhunting cohort was awarded at least two licenses.

“We know we have two, and we hope we have more,” said Judy Hofflund, one of the organizers. “We have no way of knowing how many licenses we got. I wish there was a way of knowing.”

One successful applicant the movement’s five women founders don’t have to wonder about is Mangelsen, who learned of his fortune from colleague Sue Cedarholm on Thursday morning.

“When Sue told me that I got No. 8, I about fell off my chair,” Mangelsen said. “I just thought, ‘How can that be possible?’”

He was up against 3,500 Wyoming residents and 2,327 nonresidents vying for a shot at the tags valid where most of Wyoming’s grizzlies roam. Another 948 residents and 530 nonresidents applied to hunt in “hunt area 7,” on the peripheries of the greater Yellowstone area where relatively fewer bears are found. It’s unclear if any nonhunters were awarded licenses for that area.

Wyoming wildlife managers say the activists’ tactics are legal, though they’re not thrilled that it’s taking away opportunities from hunters.

“Definitely, we have no problem welcoming anybody who buys a license,” Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokesman Renny MacKay said.

If Wyoming’s hunt isn’t first snagged by a lawsuit, the most effective way for activists to disrupt it, ironically, will be to compel their camera-toting followers to actually lethally shoot a bear. Once a female grizzly is killed by a licensed hunter, the season ceases.

Smith has conferred with the Jackson resident who is No. 2 on the issuance list, and a purposely killed female, she said, is not in the cards.

“She would never do that,” Smith said. “She’s horrified at the whole idea.”

Contact Mike Koshmrl at 732-7067, env@jhnewsandguide.com or @JHNGenviro.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We have no way of knowing how many licenses we got. I wish there was a way of knowing.”

Yeah right.... There is no way any of those do-gooders could keep their mouth shut if they drew a tag.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Help!
Now I am really confused. 6500 WY residents paid a paltry sum to "apply" for the grizzly hunt. 22 people actually drew the tag. They will pay the state $600 to purchase a grizzly tag. The season starts with #1 on the list having 10 days to shoot a bear. On the 11th day he loses his turn to #2. And so on. On the 11th day he loses his turn to #2. And so on.
So the season could end if #1 shoots a bear on the first day.

Frankly.
That is the most retarded system I can imagine. Please tell me I'm wrong.

A simple solution to this situation is to make the fee for application much higher. The state keeps all the money.

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
Help!
Now I am really confused. 6500 WY residents paid a paltry sum to "apply" for the grizzly hunt. 22 people actually drew the tag. They will pay the state $600 to purchase a grizzly tag. The season starts with #1 on the list having 10 days to shoot a bear. On the 11th day he loses his turn to #2. And so on. On the 11th day he loses his turn to #2. And so on.
So the season could end if #1 shoots a bear on the first day.

Frankly.
That is the most retarded system I can imagine. Please tell me I'm wrong.

A simple solution to this situation is to make the fee for application much higher. The state keeps all the money.

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Yep; if a sow is killed even by the first hunter the season is over. They have to do it that way to be able to control what is taken sex wise. It's better IMHO to start this first year on the cautious side with a low number of possible animals taken and that's exactly how they have planned this hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
So what is the total number of animals allowed to be taken? and how long is the season?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONE is the total. The season ends after one bear is harvested...

22 times 10 is 220 days available to find one grizzly.

This doesn't make sense. Where's Waldo?

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

22 times 10 is 220 days available to find one grizzly.

This doesn't make sense. Where's Waldo?

Ski+3

You really need to go read the Regulation on the Wyoming G&F website because what you stated isn't even close to what is happening! It has the season dates and there are 6 units where the season would end when one sow is killed or the boar limit is met, or the season closing date is met, whichever comes first. Those units are considered the core area near Yellowstone and Teton National Parks, which contain a large number of bears. There are also units 7 & 8 that are under a completely different quota setup and a number of hunters will be in the field at one time. Unit 7 adjoins the eastern boundaries of units 1-6 and unit 8 is an even bigger area east of that boundary and goes all the way east over to the east side of the Big Horn Mountains. The latter two units have very few bears and where the bears are not wanted at all due to the human population, etc. The only thing you got correct is that in units 1-6 there will be one hunter allowed in the field at a time for a maximum of 10 days and then the next in the lottery will get his ten days and on down the line until the quota is met or the season closes.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, the season ends if ONE SOW is harvested. That is why the anti hunting nit-wits talked about shooting a sow to end the season and protect the boars.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I guess what I am trying to understand is what is the value of having say tag # 40 let alone tag # 90 if there is a quota of like 22 bears (assuming no sows are shot) and a 10 day hunt period per hunter.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ability to claim having been drawn for the hunt even if the person does not get to hunt.

For some folks, the mere fact that a hunt was made available for a Grizzly and that out of how ever many applicants, they got drawn even though they may have not had the chance to hunt, it is still pretty special.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am referring to the actual value of being able hunt.

Quite frankly it's pretty ludicrous to be excited about being #90 in line if they is only 1% chance the #45 is being able hunt.

Anybody who feels special about being # 90 when it means nothing has issues.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each their own opinion.

I have saved hunting licenses from Colorado and Arizona even though I did not kill anything. It is the little things that matter to some folks.