Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Magnums, I'l get flamed!!!!
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

Read what I posted again. I hunt deer with 200 grain bullets and have used 240's in the past. People could do that with the '06 but how many actually do?

You hunt deer with 200 and 240 gr 30 caliber bullets out of a 300 mag? I presume this is because you want to, and not because you think it's necessary?

Quote:

Try an example with a heavier bullet at a similar velocity like I said above:

To get the velocities similar, take the 150 for example. I've never loaded for a 30-06 but I assume 3075 fps would be a pretty hot load for a 150? Compare that to my 200 load at 3175 with bullets of similar shape--the AccuBond and Ballistic Tip.

With 10 MPH of wind, the 150 drifts 11.71" at 400 and the 200 load drifts 7.96". That's a significant difference at nearly 4"--nearly 50%. So, in order to miss by the same amount, one must judge the wind 50% better with the '06. For every MPH you're off, you'll miss by 50% more. Could be left, could be right and it gets worse the farther you get from the target.... I'm a realist--I'll take all the help I can get.

Now look those numbers up again at 300 yds. A 308 BT at 3000 fps drift 6.5 at 300yds; a 308 200 PT at 3100 fps drifts 5.6 at 300 yds. Is this really a problem? But you are right, the gap starts to widen past 300, but most people can't shoot farther than that anyway.

Quote:

On the other stuff: Class rules. People don't compete 1000 yd heavy gun with 6mm BR's....

6mm BRs are used in light gun 1000 yd, which was sort of my point. Heavy gun sees 243s and other small caliber, non-magnum rounds. The 308 and various improved 6mms, and the 6.5-284 are also quite popular.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my take on it most of the people that give people other people a hard time or say what do you need that big of gun for? They either cannot handle recoil or have never tried one. I dont believe that just because a cartridge has a belt on it that it is a magnum look at a 220 Swift over the 22-250 or the 223 over the 222 and so on I think people just need to mind their own buisness and they wont be minding mine as the song goes.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why is more not better?

Punching a hole in a piece of paper takes a lot less oomph than killing something--much less, killing convincingly. A hot 25 or 6.5 would be just great for deer/antelope out to farther than most people would care to shoot, even better in many ways than a big 30...but if you take things to the extreme, they also have the capability to hit something much farther than I'd feel comfortable in their ability to kill it cleanly. Throw elk into the mix and that range becomes dramatically shorter--not even what most would consider "long range."

Lots of practice at long range (especially on non-paper targets) has not only made me comfortable shooting from afar, but taught me a lot of respect for distance. The amount of "poop" a bullet has left drops so dramatically with distance it's really amazing.

Anyway, this thread was about the 30-06. My load IS a 30-06...with a 300 yd head start.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I think I missed the point of your question:
Quote:

Still, why don't shooters see the need to shoot a 264 Win or a 6.5 RUM wildcat.

Expansion ratios, barrel life, diminishing returns. A 6.5-284 already is a "magnum" compared with a 30-06. Heavy for caliber bullets at relatively high velocities....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote