New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope/Mule Deer Rifle...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, I'm starting to get all my gear together for a hunt this year in WY, and I started to think about the rifle I'm taking. I have a .30-06 that I am going to take with me, it's wearing a 3-9x40 Leupold VariX II, and I'll more than likely shoot 165-grain bullets of some persuasion out of it, I've used the rifle a lot here in PA and WV, hasn't given me any problems when I did my part. I know it will do the same in WY, but I got to thinking that's a long way to go with only one rifle. So I go to the local gun shop for some ideas, and I found a Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby wearing a Leupold VariX III 6.5-20x50. I know I don't need any more power than my .30-06 for either species, but do you think this would be a good rifle to take a hunt like I'm going on? I'm completely new to Western hunting, and I'm not looking at this rifle for additional power, I just thought maybe the flatter trajectory would be helpful for both, and maybe the bigger scope would help on antelope (I know it probably won't, but I like new guns just like the rest of you!)? Just looking for some more opinions on this one, TIA, guys!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin'

I lived in Montana and New Mexico most of my life. The 06 is vbery good. I would not do the 300 Weatherby. To much scope and recoil. If anything go down to 25-06-270 for antelope and mule deer. the 3x9 is plenty of scope any higher mag is hard to hold still in the wind and show too much mirage.

Have fun, i will bet you love the hunt.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need for the Weaherby the 300wyb has lots more recol the your 06. Unless you plan on shooting the 300 lots before you go I wouldn't jump into more rifle.

If it is a heck of a good buy I might buy to have but ammo,brass cost a lot more for it ect.

Your 06 well do just fine.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've just got "new gun fever", I'd suggest a nice 7-08. I used a 700 in 7-08 for several hunts to WY for mulies and goats. Light, nimble, recoil friendly.
My son used a 7-08 to make our longest shot on a mulie. Almost 300 long steps. 140gr NP or Grand Slam, I forget which. 1 shot DRT.
And IMO, your choice of scopes is spot on.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby wearing a Leupold VariX III 6.5-20x50.

If you can shoot the Weatherby, it is hard to beat. No, you don't need a rifle with as much power as this for deer and/or antelope, but if you can shoot it well, it will certainly get the job done for you. On top of that, it would be just about the perfect elk and plains game rifle for Africa, say.

If, on the other hand, you find the .300 Wby to be on the "lively" side for you, you'll be better off with a rifle like those mentioned by the other esteemed members.

The scope (6.5-20x50) is sadly not ideal for what you want to use it for. It is essentially a varmint scope, and the low end magnification is definitely on the high side for big game hunting (where shots may be short as well as long). Better to go with something without parallax adjustment, and in the magnification class 2-8, 3-9, 3.5-10 etc.

Good luck with a possible new toy...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
take that /06 you're familiar with, shoot your animals and smile in the pictures! Big Grin

the 'flatter' shooting stuff is the same with archery... all it allows you to do is cover up mistakes in guessing yardages. my 60 pound 255 fps bow that i shoot a lot is just as accurate as an 80 pound 350 fps, i just need to know where my bow shoots at longer ranges.

your /06 has all the power you need. unless you WANT a new rifle, and in 300 WBY, have fun with your /06!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Ok guys, I'm starting to get all my gear together for a hunt this year in WY, and I started to think about the rifle I'm taking. I have a .30-06 that I am going to take with me, it's wearing a 3-9x40 Leupold VariX II, and I'll more than likely shoot 165-grain bullets of some persuasion out of it, I've used the rifle a lot here in PA and WV, hasn't given me any problems when I did my part. I know it will do the same in WY, but I got to thinking that's a long way to go with only one rifle. So I go to the local gun shop for some ideas, and I found a Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby wearing a Leupold VariX III 6.5-20x50. I know I don't need any more power than my .30-06 for either species, but do you think this would be a good rifle to take a hunt like I'm going on? I'm completely new to Western hunting, and I'm not looking at this rifle for additional power, I just thought maybe the flatter trajectory would be helpful for both, and maybe the bigger scope would help on antelope (I know it probably won't, but I like new guns just like the rest of you!)? Just looking for some more opinions on this one, TIA, guys!

I take a 7mm magnum and a 6mm-284, end up shooting less than 100 yards most of the time...a 20-gauge shooting slugs would do as well. Nearly all of my hunting partners shot 30-06s.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Justin'

I lived in Montana and New Mexico most of my life. The 06 is vbery good. I would not do the 300 Weatherby. To much scope and recoil. If anything go down to 25-06-270 for antelope and mule deer. the 3x9 is plenty of scope any higher mag is hard to hold still in the wind and show too much mirage.

Have fun, i will bet you love the hunt.

SSR

Pretty much would sum up what I'd recommend as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, I know I don't need it, and my plan was really to have this rifle just in case something went wrong with my .30-06, I'm still planning on using that for my main rifle on the hunt. I have a hankering for a Weatherby, and it's a pretty decent deal for the rifle/scope combo, so I may still get this one, but like I said, the '06 will more than likely be what I shoot for this hunt. I haven't ever bought a used rifle before, either, so that makes me a little leery, as well, so I may just look around for something else and make it into a move "big game" friendly rifle. How would you guys feel about a .270 Weatherby for the hunt, though (that's really the Weatherby I want, just not having a whole lot of luck finding any!).

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin

I have used a .243 and .270wby for the last 20+ years for Antelope and Deer. You can go wrong with these or the 30-06. Enjoy your Wy hunt!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The want of a new rifle over rides the need for one
In my book.
If I could offer any suggestions for the 06, it would be
To use lighter bullets, marry this with a good range finder
And practice out to 400 yards.
They are not all 100 yd shots.
Bear in mind the flat, hot, terrain of wyomings antelope country
Sometimes makes it tough to get a range finder
To " read"
Good luck and let us know how you do

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Justin, keep your '06. If range is a big concern, drop down to a lighter bullet, say a 150 grain Nosler accubond. It will give you plenty of range and shot faster and flatter. If I were thinkiing of a new rig, I would go for a .280 or 7 mag. Personally, I like the the .300 Weatherby, but it really is more than you need for deer and antelope.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd take that 30-06 with whichever 150 or 165 gr bullet is most accurate out of your rifle and go hunting. i also wouldn't buy another fiel just for this hunt. however, if you want another rifle, using the hunt as the reason is as good as it gets. good luck.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to check some numbers before you start believing a 150 gives you anything a 165 doesn't. The difference in drop at 500 yards is smaller than most people can hold and the carry up of the 165 is almost double. Wink
My vote is still up for a 7-08. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try gunbroker,com you'll find a 270Wby. It is absolutely tops for a western deer hunt.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I love the 300 Weatherby, (I have 2). If you want it go for it, but you don't need it. That '06 is perfect for what you are going to go do.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Justin, if your primary consideration is a "back-up" rifle, then another 30.06 gives the the most robust ability.

Why? Because you won't have to think twice about trajectory if you've switched to the back-up.

Yes, a range-finder will tell you how far-off the game is, but the computer in your head still has to process that information - and quickly, no less!

If you have a rifle of a different cartridge/trajectory, you will, at the least, spend a moment or two thinking about where to hold.

If it were me, I'd take a rifle of the same cartridge, and not "overthink" at a critical time.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. Of course, the "want" for a new or different rifle is a strong one! Big Grin

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely pass on that Weatherby. Your 30-06 with any decent 165 gr. bullet will do just fine, and a premium bullet really isn't necessary. I've taken too many Mule Deer with 165 and 180 gr. cup and core bullet to feel a pricey bullet is needed. The 150 gr. bullets will work but are a bit more destructive that I care for so the 165 gr. is what I'd use if I were doing your hunt.
I'm a firm believer in taking a back up rifle though. You never know when Mr. Murphy will strike. A good .270 win. would be about perfect. That's what I used on my antelope hunt in 2009 and if I do one this year it will again be my primary rifle. My back up gun on that hunt was my 7x57 Mauser Winchester M70 Featherweight.
Antelope and deer don't wear kevlar so any decent cup and core bullet works just fine. I like the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core in 30 caliber but since Speer has seen fit to discontinue them, I've been playing with the Sierra 165 gr. Game King BTHP bullet in my .308 Win. and 30-06.
In the .270, I've gone to the Sierra 150 gr. game King for anything I'd use that rifle on. Although they're very popular, I just plain don't like 130 gr. bullets. That's just me.
The idea to use another rifle in the ame cartridge has merit IF both rifles can use the same load, be they be factory or handload with reasonable results. I have two Remington 700's in 30-06 and what works in the BDL is total crap in the Classic.
Anyhow, FWIW, that's how I'd do it
Paul B..

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
264 Win Mag would be my suggestion. Flat shooting, long range plains game rifle.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin, unless you plan to start practicing shooting now at 400-600 for your september hunt, there is no need for the Weatherby. There is a wide varity of country in Wyoming, so in many instances you will have more use for the 3x more then the 20x.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Cross L's advice is excellent. I now shoot my .25-06 more and more. Your .30-06 will definitely do the job, but recoil and flatness of trajectory may end up making the .25-06 your favorite rifle!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
.257 Wby for both. Flat as the .300 and plenty of punch for both. Hold hair 0-400. 115 or 120 grain bullets or use the 100gr TTSX. I've killed plenty of deer with mine.
Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
20-gauge shooting slugs would do as well.

I don't think you can use slugs in Wyoming on big game.

30-06 is a good choice for deer and antelope. The problem will be judgeing distances. Very decieving out here. Just get closer if in doubt.

A good back-up or main rifle for those species would be a .260. Thousands of guys come out every fall with one rifle. Worst case scenerio, 30-06 goes tits-up, we have stores and wally worlds that sell rifles to. A couple of boxes of shells, and a few hours, and your back up and running. Instead, spend your money on a good pair of binoculars.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A 300 Weatherby is way to much gun. You need a flat shooting low recoiling rifle so you can shoot prone or with a bi-pod. Or one with a brake. You could easily shoot 400 yards. It's wide open. A good range finder and a bullet drop compensation dial on your scope would help more. Anything in the 25 cal- 7mm would work well. I am headed there this year and am using a 264 Mag with 120gr pills.

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Sauer 202 in .300 Weatherby but if you don't plan on reloading, forget about .300wby. I think it's a great cartridge for elk/mule deer and pigs but very expensive to buy ammo for. The recoil doesn't bother me but might some.

Lately I'm mostly shooting a 30.06 and .270 which works fine for pigs and blacktail deer of Ca.

Personally I think 7 mag is way overrated for the performance vs. the added cost and recoil. I see people getting great performance from the WSM 300 and 270.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 30-06 will get the job done admirably, however I know what you mean in having a back up rifle "just in case." I have taken antelope and mulies with the 30-06, 25-06, and just because I could the 375H&H. I love the 25-06! Have had great success with the NP 120 gr. in .25. I agree that as a back up gun I would go with less recoil and not more. You could not argue about the .270 weatherby if you really want one.

Good Luck! And more importantly, HAVE FUN!

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I use my 7mm-08 for mule deer and my 243 for antelope. I have a buddy that uses his 257 Wby and another that uses his 257 Roberts for both. Since you stated you're looking into a Wby rifle, I'd look at either the 257 or the 270 wby. You could also consider the 270 wsm. Really, anything in the 25-284 range will serve as your backup rifle for your upcoming hunt.

Good luck in your decision!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've shot a goodly number of deer and antelope in Wyoming with a 6.5x55 shooting 129 grain bullets out to 300 yards. Gun goes bang, bullet hits animal, animal falls or runs a short distance and dies. Be able to shoot the rifle you have out to 300 yards or a bit more and you'll be fine.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hard to go wrong with anything of .24 to .308 caliber shooting a medium weight bullet with a high b.c. with a starting velocity of 2800-3200 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have limited experience on Antelopes and Mule Deer compared to many here, but in what experience I've had (3 Antelope and One muley so far), my 270 throwing a 130 grain Sierra Boattail at a very mild 2850 fps (It was the most accurate load in that rifle...) did the job nicely.

Shots ranged from 200 to 435 yards, every antelope went down in less than 50 yards with one shot. Only the muley required a follow-up shot, but that was my fault, not the rifle's (rushed first shot, poor hit, second shot a few moments later dropped it in its tracks).

FWIW, I am building a 6.5x55 and a 30-06 right now, and either of them would work just as well...as would a 25-06, 280, 7x57, 260 Rem, 308, etc, etc, etc.

I would be far more worried about carrying a rifle that is accurate in my hands rather than what it's chambered in. Neither of those animals are terribly difficult to kill with good shot placement.

Hope that helps!
J

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I almost forgot... My 13 year old killed an Antelope buck at 93 paces this past fall with a 30-06 and a 125 Sierra FB Spitzer at ~ 2650 fps...
The buck went less than 30 yards after the hit.

It just doesn't take much bullet weight or velocity to kill them when you hit them right.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, do some noodling on the 130 gr TSX's/TTSX's out of your '06. I can tell you from experience that they will flat hammer a muley--this from a 308 at 400+ yards.

Out of an '06 they ought to be awfully flat...just a different way to look at it.

i have become a believer in light for caliber weight bullets with the MONO bullets.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus one for the 257 Wby. Way flat shooting, and drops em where they stand. Load it up with 100 grain TSX. You should be able to get over 3400 fps with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I've wanted a custom Ruger number one with a 28 inch barrel just for the purpose you are talking about. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have hunted antelope but I do "hunt" for ammo when I'm out and about. Wby. ammo is hard to find right here in the great Houston, Texas area! If you are flying to get out west, have you thought about lost bag w/the ammo inside? Most of those mentioned above are realitively easy to find, especially if WalMart sells ammo.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is all this saying the 30-06 doesn't shoot flat enough? Pick a streamlined bullet like the Ballistic Tip and push it to top velocities and it will perform very well and shoot plenty flat enough. You can push a 150 gr. bullet faster than yu can push a 120 gr. bullet out of a 25-06 and a 165 just as fast.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the theory of too much gun. I shoot a 300 win mag for everything (Western Game). I put a muzzle brake on it and it is fine. Having said this, an 06 will be more than sufficient. If you are shooting factory loads, and decide to purchase a less than common caliber, be sure to bring enough ammo to carry you through the hunt. Many stores do not carry the 7-08, R280, etc... In my local Wyoming Walmart, there are very few of the uncommon calibers..

I would say this: I would upgrade the scope on your 06. I shot a 3x9 my whole life until recently. I have since switched to a higher power and it just makes the 300-400 yard shots a little easier to make. JMO, for what it is worth..

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Antelope and Mule deer in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana almost every year for the past 45 years.

My favorite rifle for these hunts has been my .257 Ackley shooting 115-120 gr Sierra, Hornady, and Nosler cup and core bullets. I have a 6x Leupold compact scope on this rifle.

I've also shot deer and antelope with a .30-06 and a .308 Win shooting 150 gr c&c bullets and a 7 mm Rem mag shooting 140 gr Ballistic Tip bullets. They also worked fine.

I also have a .300 Wby which is one of my favorite rifles, but it stays in the safe when I go antelope hunting. Now, if I'm going elk hunting where there is a possibility of a Mule deer, the .300 Wby goes, and the .257 Ackley stays home in the safe.

Like others have said, unless you really want a .300 Wby, your .30-06 shooting the most accurate 150 gr bullet in your rifle will work just fine for your Mulie and Antelope hunt. And if you do buy the Wby, I'd change the scope to a good 3-9x or 4-12x40.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.25-06, .270, .280. 7mm-08, all will work if you have to have more than your .30-06(which is more than enough)

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to take another rifle, take something you can shoot Pdogs with. Get into a good colony and it might be the highlight of your trip.
I stopped taking a back up rifle a long time ago. I do take a back up scope in QR rings and sighted in for the rifle I'm taking. Knock on wood, I've never needed that neither.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Britt:
.257 Wby for both. Flat as the .300 and plenty of punch for both. Hold hair 0-400. 115 or 120 grain bullets or use the 100gr TTSX. I've killed plenty of deer with mine.
Lee

tu2

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote