Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico oryx hunting
 Login/Join

posted
I was lucky enough to draw a tag for an oryx hunt in my home state of New Mexico.

Quick background: I have hunted all my life, but little big game as we have to draw in New Mexico and I usually just bird hunt. I know how to shoot a rifle, but guys are telling me to get "comfortable" at 400-500 yards for an oryx. I shoot a 223 T3 regularly for target practice, but usually out to 200 yard or so.

Question: My father has a 9.3 X 6.2 that is obviously enough gun...but the gun is a "little" intimidating...especially as I feel I need to shoot alot to be "comfortable" at 400-500 yards. Should I consider purchasing a more "all-around" caliber (30-06?) that I would enjoy shooting more often?

Thanks for suggestions.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've only seen two shot, both with a 338 06 ... crumpled like tissue paper ...

I wouldn't hunt em with a 223... but a 9,3x62 doesn't kick much more than an -06

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have shot 3 of the things with a 308, I don't think caliber matters much.

As long as you remember that the gemsbok has his heart between the shoulders, and you have to shoot them there. Neck shots are hard to make work, shoot them in the shoulder and they will go down.

Anyplace else won't work.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a .270 and he went right down. I can't imagine a 400-500 yard shot being necessary (but if you want to, go ahead) but that's based purely off the notion that crawling isn't the worst thing that can happen.

Andy