New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy cost of Hunts
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, DON'T VALIDATE THE PRICING, talk to the outfitter and tell him you are interested in his new pricing... how do you justify it??
Then tell him, it's NOT that I can't pay your price, I won't!!
Second, I NEVER pay a 20% tip, unless the hunt and trophy is simply over the top!!... this is NOT like tipping your waiter or waitress at the restaurant... who are low paid and don't have skin in the game...I do tip better to guides, if not the Outfitter.
We are doing this on Luxury Cruises too... we all suffered during COVID... you can'tmake it all up in the following 2 years!!... don't book!!
They will get the message!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2602 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
470eddy,
Good point!

Also, If I mentioned what I have paid for hunting in Texas and Colorado, many of the folks above would call me a liar. Nope, I just will not pay those rates!

Just last weekend, my son and I hunted a ranch where we shot one exotic and another one like it for free? Normal? No, but the ranch is vastly overstocked and needs to sell game.
It does not always come easy, but in a big state like Texas there are always overstocked ranches with excess game to move. And there are also always ranches with nice luxury lodges who have plenty of game at high prices.
You pays your money and takes your choics.

Oops gotta go as I hear my V6 Alpine roaring out on the parking lot. My grandson is helping the mechanick so he can drive the roadster.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
After just returning from my first trip to Africa, I will personally find it very difficult to pay more than $5k for any domestic hunt. I have to work for my money and save for hunts, and your dollar just goes so much farther in Africa. I did a 10 day hunt and killed 13 species....all for less than a decent guided Elk hunt would cost today in most of the states. Don't get me wrong, I still want to hunt Elk....but for now, there's no comparison (to me at least).

There are still a few hunts in Texas I want to do that aren't too terribly expensive.....Aoudad, Nilgai, Barasingha, Pronghorn, Mule Deer.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
A close friend of mine went on a boat-based hunt in Alaska for trophy Black Bear. Both he and his father-in-law shot gorgeous BC boars . They paid $6000 each, all inclusive.I ran into the outfitter they used at a sportsmen’s show the following year. His brochure even had pictures of my friend and his FIL. His Black Bear hunts were still $6000, but his Brown Bear hunts were $18,000. I asked him if his costs were identical, how did he justify charging TRIPLE for Brown Bears. Is reply was simple:” What the market will bear”.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1386 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments some great points.
I write this as I’m here in Aberta starting a bear hunt.

It’s tough for me to see Africa as that great of a value. I loved my hunts there and did shoot a lot of animals. However, after the dip and pack, taxidermy, flights etc., it’s not as cheap as one would believe (just my opinion).

I would not trade 10 plains game animal for a good shot at a nice bill elk. But, that’s just me. I think we can all agree that hunts are not coming down in price..,

Posts: 2655 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Americans pay a lot for some of their hunts but they keep the hunting economy going world wide .

I know some Spanish outfitters who are asking like 30,000$ for a gold medal beceite ibex where as a European client will pay around 7000$. But then that’s why these outfitters drive brand new 70,000$ cars and spend half their life hunting also

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that Americans get hosed on some hunts. Check what European pays for a Marco Polo versus what an American pays. The license for an American is vastly more expensive.

Some of this should not come as a surprise. Everything costs more these days. Then there is the supply & demand issue. North American hunts became a hot commodity when Africa became difficult.

I have done a lot of hunting in my life. I am glad I did much of it with more reasonable prices.

Posts: 12031 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Interesting comments some great points.
I write this as I’m here in Aberta starting a bear hunt.

It’s tough for me to see Africa as that great of a value. I loved my hunts there and did shoot a lot of animals. However, after the dip and pack, taxidermy, flights etc., it’s not as cheap as one would believe (just my opinion).

I would not trade 10 plains game animal for a good shot at a nice bill elk. But, that’s just me. I think we can all agree that hunts are not coming down in price..,

Totally agree Jason. Certainly, you can shoot stuff cheap behind fences in RSA (including animals that are brought in by truck) but give me a six point bull elk any day over 10 plains game animals shot behind a fence.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote