New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humour me, score this "elk"!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got around to putting a tape on this Romanian mountain red stag. The basic measurements are 43" beams 50" spread, and 19" brow.
Just out of curiosity, if he was an elk, what class of B&C would that put him in?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big enough to shoot.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Always tough to tell from a single picture.

You should just finish measuring him if you have the tape out.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low 300s

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that bull would score just over 350" gross with his extras.
The second pic is odd. The top end of his right beam seems to disappear?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking stag, what did he weigh, 8 to 9 kilos ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
actually 12.1 green. Will probably be 11

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can easily score it yourself. Here is where you can download the chart with instructions.

https://www.boone-crockett.org...s.asp?area=bgRecords

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll say 346"...nice bull, crowns like a stag!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's because it is a red stag. Re-read the first post....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little bit of maral influence there maybe too!! Very nice mate!! Yes it must be 330

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Right at 340.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A nice stag, but to answer Express's question, it wouldn't qualify for the Boone & Crockett Club's American elk record book categories if the estimates on this post are correct.

The minimum B&C score for an American typical elk is 360 points after deductions for non-symmetrical tines and 385 for an American non-typical elk.

Also, I don't think B&C has "classes." Safari Club International's book has bronze (minimum 264), silver (minimum 311 1/8) and gold (minimum 350 2/8) classes for typical North American elk and does not deduct for non-symmetry.

If entered as a European red deer, the SCI minimums are bronze 220, silver 289 7/8, and gold 331 7/8.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Technically you're rright Bill, but don't take the wording of my question literally. By "class" I simply meant "300 class" as I hear people say, nor was it relevant that it would or would not qualify to be entered.

It's just such a great stag that I wondered if I would have much chance of shooting a bigger elk, considering that elk are and can be much bigger.

Here's to always hoping that might still happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could pay the money for a private land hunt in New Mexico or on one of the Indian Reservations and shoot much bigger.How big is your pocket book???

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you measure it yet?
My guestimation is +/- 320"
I've never scored a stag but I've scored more elk than I can remember.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Measured on a system that does not penalise for overspread, as does our local (Australian) Douglas scoring method, your stag, as a "Red" Stag should go 330 - 350.

How that would translate to the B&C system for measuring Elk I have no idea, but in any case that is an exceptional wild Red Stag.

Congrats.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about scoring racks. But, don't they deduct for non typical points??

Dandy rack, hell of a pile of "dead meat". How far and how did you pack it out? IF I didn't miss it, tell us about the gun and range of shot etc.

Congrats no less, best of luck on the elk hunt too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Nice looking critter, my friend. I agree with those that say he would go in the low 300s. He would still be an excellent bull for public land in most parts of Colorado.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easily 340+

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Was he a silver medal stag?

He looks to be 310-325.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
with the size and overall weight, almost certainly a gold medal stag. the 9x8 one that i shot in Poland last Sept weighed 10kg and was scored as a CIC gold medal stag.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote