THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Deer/Turkey Hunting Near Manhattan, KS

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer/Turkey Hunting Near Manhattan, KS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Hi, I'm a 1st year Veterinary student at Kansas State, who is originally from South Dakota. I had an abundance of hunting opportunities at home but I've been going through withdrawls/slight panic attacks thinking that I won't be able to find a place to hunt here. I have gone on several scouting trips around the area and have found that the turkey population is very good in the area. Just wondering if anyone on AR is from the area and if they have any tips on where I should go or who to ask. Is it common for landowners to allow other hunters to hunt their land or is it tough going in that department?

Thanks

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
edholum,

Some of my fondest memories are my days at Fort Riley hunting pheasants, rabbits, quail, and deer on the military base. Not sure what the policy is on you hunting there, but I would check into it. I lived in Manhattan; maybe you could make friends with a soldier who hunts.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Lot's of Game on Fort Riley today. http://www.fortrileyoutdoorsme...nd_Fishing_Areas.doc

Deer hunting on Private land; getting permission will be tough unless you make a friend with one the local KS students and then you should have lots of opportunity nearby.
Turkey hunting; kind of the same story but with better odds of getting permission by simply asking and being polite.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start knocking on doors.If you are by yourself you should have no problem finding a place to hunt.Throw an ad in the local Ag paper offer some work for hunting opportunities.A extra hand is always appreciated.Man I wish I was in your shoes ,some big Deer in that State. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will have to check into Fort Riley's opportunities. My neighbor is a soldier but have never talked hunting with him (doesn't really seem like the hunting type), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him. As for now I'm getting excited for the pheasant season opener this coming weekend in Mitchell, SD.

Thanks again.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote