THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Caliber Advice - For a Traditionalist

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Advice - For a Traditionalist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Hi All,

While it may be a bit before I can make Africa, my father and I are seriously thinking about a trip to Alaska to go hunting. With that in mind, and becuase I'd like to own one , I'm looking for some caliber advice.

Right now I own a .243 Ruger M77RSI and 3 Winchester M70's in .35 Whelan Imp., .300 H&H and .375 H&H. So I'm thinking that I need a 400+ caliber to "round out" my collection (in case I'm charged by an elephant in Phoenix, you know).

I plan on staying with the M70 action, simply because I'm very comfortable with them. I also realize that Win only offers them new in .416 Rem and .458 Win.

However, I've had my eye on either .404 Jefferies or .416 Rigby. Like I said, I like the traditional calibers. I have access to a very good gunsmith, so getting the caliber changed isn't a huge concern. But finding the right caliber is.

What would I use it on? Dunno. Bear, moose and caribu probably (although I know my .375 would work fine). Someday, hopefully, I'll get to fulfil my dream and get a Cape buff.

Just looking for some imput and thanks in advance!

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The .458 Winchester may have reached traditional status. At least the .45 bore has.

If I had a .375 H&H (and I have 2) I would not bother with the .41's. The .458 is more of a stopper anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a lot of them and I keep going back to the 404 Jefferys with its 400 gr. solids at 2400 FPS and 95 grs. of IMR4831 will pump it up to 2653 FPS, but thats too fast for proper bullet behavior.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Don, if you have a good 375 then skip the 41s and get a real big bore. The 404 or 416 isn't half the hammer a good 450 is. Build a 458 Lott, it ain't traditional but it's damned good

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would steer you toward to .416 Rigby. I have one, a Ruger M77 Magnum and am absolutely impressed with it. I will be making my first safari within the next two years, so I practice with it on a regular basis. If you are going to stay with the M70 the .404 Jeffery would be an easier fit, but the .416 can be done. Make sure that your smith is comfortable doing this conversion. To make either conversion work I would definitely go with a new magazine box(wider) and bottom metal to ensure absolutely reliable feeding, especially if you want to take this rifle up against Buffalo some day. Interestingly enough, Winchester(USRAC) is offering a .416 Rigby through the custom shop, so their engineers must have deemed this as a safe conversion. You probably would have to wait a while to get one though.

I have no experience with the .404 but will in the near future. However I see it as a more esoteric round than the .416 due to the .416's greater component availability. But availability was never a good reason to choose one cartridge over another... was it?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote