THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Dick's Sporting Goods mulls ridding hunting supplies from all 732 stores

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick's Sporting Goods mulls ridding hunting supplies from all 732 stores
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.wivb.com/news/nati...32-stores/1626613299

Dick's Sporting Goods mulls ridding hunting supplies from all 732 stores

By: Kate Gibson
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 07:57 AM EST

Updated: Nov 29, 2018 12:20 PM EST

(CBS News) - The jury is still out as to whether Dick's Sporting Goods will extend a controversial move to clear hunting supplies from its stores, including shotguns, ammunition, cross bows and rifle scopes.

The retailer, which stopped selling assault rifles earlier in the year, in late August said it would also rid 10 Dick's stores of "virtually all" hunting items. The stores involved were those where hunting sales had fared the most poorly.

"We'll have to wait and see how the 10-store test does," CEO Edward Stack said during an earnings call Wednesday.

That said, Stack noted, Dick's is "looking at a number of stores where the hunt category significantly underperforms." Additional moves will involve deciding what's "a smart thing to do from a business standpoint," he added.

The company currently operates 732 Dick's stores in 47 states.

Hunting supplies and electronics are being swapped out for higher-margin products geared at athletes and sports teams, including outerwear in colder parts of the country and baseball and soccer equipment, Stack said.

"As the football business has declined, baseball and soccer have picked up," he noted.

The Pennsylvania-based retailer earlier reported a third-quarter net sales decline to $1.86 billion from $1.94 billion in the year-earlier period, with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

"Sales continue to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics," CFO Lee Belitsky said. "Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak, as evidenced by most recent background-check data" for firearms purchases.

Dick's halted sales of assault-style weapons and raised the minimum purchase age for firearms to 21 in February following a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, that killed 17 people.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Vote with you wallet!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
If they didn't see this coming, they are perhaps the stupidest management team on the planet.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they’ll change their name to:

‘Dick’s Some Sporting Goods’.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I wonder if they’ll change their name to:

‘Dick’s Some Sporting Goods’.

maybe just"We are Dicks"

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this same scenario play out with other sporting goods stores over the years.
heck even K-mart went straight off a cliff and bounced off a bunch of ledges on the way down after making this decision.
Sears, Gart bros., Sunset sports, Gibsons.

everyone that shoots hates Dick's anyway, let them go.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Folk's it is not going to get any better.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the sales, never liked the store much anyway

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is another story on CNN that Dick’s has lost money since it’s 21 year old minimum age, no black rifle policy.

If they can’t move product, it only makes since to stop offering that product when it is sinking you.

I never liked them, low ammo selection , no reloading supplies, cheap bin rifles.

They have a right to there policy, and I am glad to see it is costing them money.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When they started their 21 years old to buy a gun rule, destroyed their AR-15s instead of selling them and hired a lobbyist to promote more gun control laws, I tore up my discount club card and never set foot in their stores again. I probably spent about $1,000 a year there but I know a lot of other people here in California that did the same thing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Fuck Dicks..... wait, that did come out right. Dick’s, go fuck yourselves. That’s better.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Dick’s not own the Field and Steam stores?

They have one in N. Ky and Dayton, OH.

If so, Field and Stream needs to go down too.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Does Dick’s not own the Field and Steam stores?

They have one in N. Ky and Dayton, OH.

If so, Field and Stream needs to go down too.

Yes, Dick’s ownes them.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The closest Dick's is 60 miles from here was in the store twice.

Didn't find the item I was looking for.

Didn't spend any money now I know I well not.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t be shocked if the one near me is one of the ones suffering from low hunting sales. It is right across the street from a Cabela’s, so pretty much no reason to go to the Dick’s for hunting stuff.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I was just chatting with a cousin of mine prior to the opening of Pennsylvania Firearm deer season (this past Monday). The Dick’s store in Wilkes-Barre was partially destroyed by an tornado. He was completely surprised that the Hunting/Shooting section wasn’t included in the remodel this year. Hard to believe since Pennsylvania has one of the largest number of licensed hunters in the USA. He even said the Fishing section was half the size.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Many organizations fail to realize that ~40% of the public are dedicated liberals and ~40% of the public are dedicated conservatives.

Some portion of those dedicated groups will vote with their dollars. Even if it is only 30%, that means announcing and publicizing your political statements in an "aggressive" manner is probably going to alienate 12% of the public and few business can absorb that type of customer base erosion.

What Dick's may fail to realize is that expanding other areas of the business may not help because they lost customer coming into the store at all.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I used to be a fairly regular Dick's customer, mostly for soccer and other sports gear for the kids, but sometimes for hunting and fishing gear. I spent quite a few bucks in there over the years. When they chose to intentionally alienate me as a gun owner and shooter, I chose to quit shopping there. So, they lost not only my hunting-related dollars, but also all the dollars I spent annually on cleats, soccer balls, socks, exercise gear, and related clothing. I don't really care that they made this choice, as it's theirs to make. But they certainly shouldn't be surprised that they now have a smaller market share of the hunting business, and overall decline is sales, because of the way they treated us hunters and shooters. Surely they had to expect this.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not shop at Dick's and I do not buy S&W. Same reason.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm totally with Mr. Thorn on this.
Let 'em sell shin guards to soccer moms.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
do not buy S&W. Same reason.

I hope you know S@W has changed owner ship since they were own by a Brits and did all that stupide stuff.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I posted in the humor forum.
Why do lesbians shop at Cabelas?
They don't like Dicks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If hunting supplies were making them money they would be selling them. I have only been in one or two of their stores ever never in the pursuit of "hunting supplies."

But I understand it is cathartic to yell over the internet at people and companies we really don't know about. It's actually makes it easier. Most of us have never really ever shopped at Dick's, and that could be the reason for not selling hunting supplies. Having inventory that does not sell well is a drain on the bottom line.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
If hunting supplies were making them money they would be selling them. I have only been in one or two of their stores ever never in the pursuit of "hunting supplies."

But I understand it is cathartic to yell over the internet at people and companies we really don't know about. It's actually makes it easier. Most of us have never really ever shopped at Dick's, and that could be the reason for not selling hunting supplies. Having inventory that does not sell well is a drain on the bottom line.

If the above statement were true, that is a lack of sales, then their ACTIONS would be understandable. However, their WORDS that accompanied those actions are not excusable to me at least. It was not just a business decision for them, but also a political one. I disagree with their politics.

It is a free country, so they have the right to make those decisions with their business. I am also a free American, and I do not have to shop at their store. And I won’t.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Not cathartic for me at all, it is an analysis of market dynamics.

Additionally, Surefire's comments are correct that this was a political statement. If indeed they chose to destroy the existing inventory of ARs, then that was not a economic decision. Had it been an economic decision, they would have liquidated them to another dealer. Retailers generally, operate on very thin margins for most products with the exception of clothing.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The decision to only sell to 21 years and older and remove “black rifles” from inventory was a political move/statement.
Those decisions caused the hunting/firearms market to be unstainable and dragging down sales across Dick’s.

If you google this story you will find video from the big, main media, news providers where the big heads at Dick’s in announcing theses policies say, “It is about saving lives.” And,

“If these teenagers can stand up we have to do something.” The last quote is not exact, but 99% percent on the nail.

What I find amazing about this is how folks can so willing surrender their rights. I am referring to 17-18 year olds who became the face of the movement. I know a 17 year old cannoot purchase, but they were/are on the cusps of emancipation, so I included them.

Ask them to give up there right or even privilege to buy R rated movies, M rated video games, weed depending on what state you are in, or Vap pens and watch the knock stiffen.

Ask them to surrender the right to vote most do not use, and watch the left unite and stiffen.

But the Second Amendment the long reconciled right or justification to defend one from serious physical injury or death. The only concepts that can stop, not solve may not prevent, but stop these events from happening. They are all to willing to give away.

The sad part is this is the United States. This means if you want to give away, obstinate from your rights that was your privilege. But you could not infringe upon my liberty to engage in my use and enjoyment of those rights. That is why it is called Individual Rights. I submit, that the focus on and insulation of Individual Rights from over state , including local and national, interference is what allowed the “American Experiment” to succeed.

In short, I do not care if you do not like guns or do not vote. Those are your decisions. However, stop trying to criminalize, marginalize, and remove my choices that have been enjoyed for over 2 centuries by folks like me. I have done no harm, and hundreds of thousands like me have done no harm.

Thank f that sounds like a priece of freedom argument, so be it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
When they started their 21 years old to buy a gun rule, destroyed their AR-15s instead of selling them and hired a lobbyist to promote more gun control laws, I tore up my discount club card and never set foot in their stores again. I probably spent about $1,000 a year there but I know a lot of other people here in California that did the same thing.

I think there's one around here somewhere, but I haven't been to it and don't plan to go. There are other, better choices.
Most sporting goods stores are awfully retail, with clerks who don't know much,, and nothing used or interesting in the way of rifles or reloading stuff.
The local Sports Authority went under last year, I guess t-shirts and sneakers were not enough to keep it going.
The mom-and-pop rifle stores are a lot better, but are slowly disappearing under the weight of new rules.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote