New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako or WInchester?
 Login/Join

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Kudu: As I understand it, the problem is the overall cartridge length and the size of the magazine. If it won't fit into the mag, there is no sense loading it. The 180 is considered about the limit otherwise, the bullet has to be seated far too deep and that takes up too much powder space.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I tested my Sako 75 SS in 300 WM yesterday. While doing the barrel break in and sighting the scope, I managed a three shot group at 100 yards measuring .75 with two holes overlapping. This is without any load development or OAL adjustments from a new barrel. These Sako rifles are awesome!

<Peter Walker>
posted
Eagle Eye

I really am impressed with my Sako as well. Someone has led you astray with the 300 WSM and OAL. Mine pushes a 200gr Barnes X (which as you know is one of the longest 200gr bullets made) @ 2925 fps using Reloader 19. If that don't cut it I give up.

...Peter

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Well Peter, I have read several articles on the subject although there was much more concern expressed about the Remington short mag than the WSM. OAL is always an issue for reloaders and many of the rifle magazines are too short to get those big long bullets set out close to the lands.

<phurley>
posted
I go by how they shoot. I have owned and shot them all. If they will shoot a one hole group, three shots magnum, five shot non-magnum, I will keep it. Right now the score is two Weatherbys, one Sako, five Winchester Model 70's, both pre and after 64's. While the shooting is the most important requirement in my case down through the years, it seems that a Winchester captures my heart. I have some out of the box that have never been tinkered with and some that are custom that have been tinkered to death, but they are all the same, IF THEY WILL SHOOT, they stay for a future hunting trip. Good shooting.

------------------