New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possibly relocating to TX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Monday I drive to the Dallas area to do a couple of interviews for positions teaching NJROTC at 2 of the high schools. One school is in red Oak (about 20 miles south of Dallas) and the other is in Carrollton (by Lewisville to the north of Dallas). If one of them pans out I'll be relocating there in Dec. From phone conversation I'm 95% sure that Red Oak will hire me.

Here's my one question. I understand that TX is nearly all private land (which is new to me) so I'll have to find some place to hunt. I gave up hunting for antlers a long time ago. I'm interested in putting a couple of does and maybe a meat hog in the freezer every year. What is the best way to go about finding a place that allows such hunting in TX without breaking the bank?

Any info from on of the TX guys in the know would be appreciated.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas!

Meat hunting can be inexspensive. We have a late doe season in TX and hog hunting is year around.

There are several here that can probably lead you in good directions.

Again. Welcome.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Welcome to Texas!

Thanks but it isn't official yet. I have a state job offer to work for the FL Dept of Transportation and need to see if the schools are serious. If they are I'll come to TX. If they aren't I'll stay where I am and work for FL.

As an old country boy from CO, either one will be different from what I'm used to. Of the 2 jobs I'd rather teach NJROTC but I'll take the state job if I have to.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Worst part about NJROTC is they pay very poorly. They basically subtract your active duty paycheck from you retired paycheck and pay you the difference.

You can do less for more money in 1000 places.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Worst part about NJROTC is they pay very poorly. They basically subtract your active duty paycheck from you retired paycheck and pay you the difference.

You can do less for more money in 1000 places.

You're a little off base there. What they do is add onto your retired pay to bring you back up to your active duty pay and then they add on the BAH, BAS and uniform allowance. So, in my case the pay for teaching comes to a little over $7K a month. Not too shabby.

Plus I'm eligible for another pension in 10 years.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your job search I hope it works out in your favor.
I was not in the military but I have worked for the state since the end on 1999.
If I stayed with my previous profession I would have no retirement or enough money to live on.
When I retire it would be nice to live where the hog hunting was good I love pork.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TommyII:

If you take the job in DFW area, I can help with this year's freezer. Deer season ends Jan 4 so it will be tight but if you have the time and can afford to buy a license (being a new arrival I think you will have to buy a non-resident license, which is ridiculously expensive IMO), come over to my place and you will almost certainly be able to take 2 bucks, one spike and one "trophy". Normally I don't allow smaller bucks to be shot (13 inch inside spread is legal, which is pretty small, have dozens of them running around in the 13-17 inch area), but in your case, I'll make an exception. I'm about 2 1/2 hours drive E of Dallas. You'll have to camp out or stay in a motel, which is really too far away to be reasonable for deer hunting. Hogs are always highly probable too. To be clear this is a no charge hunt and I'm not going to hold your hand, but I can almost certainly put you onto a couple of bucks. Also to be more clear, this is a THIS season only invite, I am simply welcoming you to Texas and giving you time to find a lease that will suit you.

BTW to be more even clearer, this invitation is to TommyII ONLY so others please don't PM me saying "How about me?"

The few other people from AR who I allow to hunt know who they are.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent to Gatogordo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When my son and I hunted hogs last spring we were able to get three or four day non resident licenses. Don't recall the cost, but it has got to cost less than a full season license and maybe that will work.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not for deer but will work for hogs, exotics, etc.

At any rate, Tommy II has a full freezer and has graciously declined my invitation if he moves.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Not for deer but will work for hogs, exotics, etc.

At any rate, Tommy II has a full freezer and has graciously declined my invitation if he moves.

It was quite neighborly of you for the offer to help him fill his already full freezer!!! Texas rocks!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas is a good place to live and hunt. But hunting leases in Texas are among the highest priced in the US.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew from northern MN to Houston today - yikes is it ever cold for Houston right now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
TommyII:

If you take the job in DFW area, I can help with this year's freezer.

I've seen Gatogordo make this offer a few times especially to active duty personnel. It's very commendable. I wish I could help out as well but my pace is 40 acres and barely supports my hunting.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tommy

If you make the move, hit me up i am about 1.5 hrs from Red Oak and generally have a few few spare doe tags.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You Texans are tops.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
Tommy

If you make the move, hit me up i am about 1.5 hrs from Red Oak and generally have a few few spare doe tags.

Thank you. That offer, as well as the one made by Gatogordo, is extremely generous. I have been officially offered the position in Carrollton and should know by Tues about the one in Red Oak. But it sure looks like I'll be taking one of them.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatorgordo, very decent of you. Texas hospitality is live and well.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote