New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 "XBT" bullet performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for an all around Elk/Black bear load for the 30-06. I really like the ballistics of the 165gr XBT at around 2900fps. Anyone have field experience with this combo? With a B.C. of .505 it really holds its energy well out to 300+yards.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Mark G,

I've used the exact bullet round combination,
and it knocks the hell out of the black bear and deer, plus it leaves one heck of a wound channel. Some guys like them (Barnes X's) and some guys won't touch them. I like them. My opinion.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks CK, Anyone used this combo on Elk,Moose?

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I personally witnessed a 5X5 bull run for 3/4 of a mile after being shot dead center through both lungs with a 165 X. The bullet didn't even expand, we found a 30 cal. entrance and a 30 cal. exit hole. He was only 150yds. from a friend when he let the shot rip and it took us 5-6hrs to catch up to him. The shot was from a Sako Finnbear 06' with reloads to around 2800+fps. Upon our return home we immediately pulled all of the remaining loads and have now worked up a load with RL22 and a 180gr. Grand Slam. So far that load has yet to fail (2 cows and 1 bull in three years between two hunters) and the X bulets as far as we are concerned are WAY overrated and overpriced.
That's just our experience so take it for what it's worth.

Wish I had better news but we won't be shooting any X's anytime soon.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk Country, I am hearing a lot of that, when it comes to the "X" bullets. When they work they work great, when they fail they fail miserably. In fairness, I guess that could be said of any bullet, the question is how often do they fail?

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Mark, you will and I'm sure you have heard that arguement more about the Barnes X than any other bullet!!

I have seen a lot of failures with them, others have not. but you can bet where there is that much smoke there is fire...

Barnes' biggest pusher, Ross Seyfried, one of the real experts in my opinnion has taken a second look at them and has gone to the Win. Failsafe because of Barnes quality control. I have turned to the GS Customs HV and so far it is a grand bullet..I to believe it has to do with quality control and not design..besides they foul like crazy and I hate that...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ray, I've noticed that same "quiet" trend among other writers... the late Finn Aagaard being one of them.