THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Poached deer racks up improbable nine-year political, financial scramble

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poached deer racks up improbable nine-year political, financial scramble
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://kansasreflector.com/20...-financial-scramble/

LINK HAS PHOTOS OF THE DEER.

Poached deer racks up improbable nine-year political, financial scramble

Tim Nedeau ends up with world-class antlers, wins $16,001 payback

By Tim Carpenter -May 26, 2021

TOPEKA — The two 9-millimeter rounds fired by poacher David Kent at an Osage County whitetail deer with bizarre 14-point antlers hit the mark.

Kent scrambled from his vehicle in the darkness Nov. 11, 2011, onto private property, decapitated the buck and drove away. Kent was in possession of what turned out to be a world-class rack in the “perfect” category with seven left and right antlers. That might have been the end to the hunting story, but the poacher couldn’t resist showing off the antlers at a big show in Topeka.

State wildlife officers seized the antlers from Kent and set off an extraordinary regulatory, criminal, political and financial tug-of-war that pitted Scranton resident Tim Nedeau against the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism for possession of the prized rack.

Kent was convicted of poaching and ordered by the district court to pay Nedeau $8,000 for illegally hunting, but that was a sideshow to feuding between Nedeau and state officials for rights to the trophy buck and reimbursement of $16,001 he paid the state for the rack now hanging in the office of a state representative at the Capitol.

More than nine years after the buck was shot on the Nedeau family farm, Gov. Laura Kelly signed a budget bill last week appropriating money to refund what Nedeau spent to acquire the antlers after posting the winning bid at an unpublicized auction conducted in the office of a state senator in 2020.

“It just floors me that they could have given them to me in 2012,” said Nedeau, who became convinced state agency officials made deceptive claims about him because they wanted to keep the rack. “It was a trophy for their walls.”

Rep. Ken Corbet, a Republican who owns Ravenwood Lodge, a shooting and hunting facility outside Topeka, said he was never certain the 2021 Legislature would retain the reimbursement piece in the $21 billion annual state budget. Years of legislative setbacks on this case taught him not to be too confident.

“Stars aligned,” Corbet said. “I had a lot of help this year. It’s a miracle you can make a constituent happy like this.”

He said Nedeau was one of the first constituents to call him for help after taking a seat in the Kansas House in 2013. Corbet later met with Robin Jennison, who was secretary of wildlife and parks at that time, to determine if a way could be found to release the rack to Nedeau. Corbet said Jennison told him in no uncertain terms Nedeau would not get the antlers.

The state agency contended land where the deer was shot was owned by Nedeau’s mother, not Nedeau, and that negated Nedeau’s claim to the antlers. The animal, according to the poacher, staggered across a road and died on land owned by a neighbor of the Nedeau family. Nedeau said the place of the deer’s final breath didn’t matter because evidence offered by the shooter said the engagement began on the Nedeau family’s property.

Kent invited legal trouble in 2012 by generating publicity for the trophy rack at the Mossy Oak Buck Classic in Topeka. He told state wildlife department officers the buck was legally hunted outside of Osage County, but trail camera photographs of that buck demonstrated Kent was lying. After learning of the seizure, Nedeau requested a salvage tag for the buck, but was denied by the state.

The 2014 Legislature, partly in response to the Nedeau dispute, passed a law requiring landowners to be given first refusal rights of wildlife poached on their property. A key point was that the statute wasn’t retroactive and had no bearing on the Kent-Nedeau situation.

The Kansas House a year later passed a bill mandating the state surrender the highly valued antlers to Nedeau, but it didn’t receive sufficient support in the Kansas Senate.

The campaign to resolve the dispute stalled until the state wildlife department notified Nedeau the antlers would be sold at the unadvertised private auction in 2020. During the auction conducted in the office of then-Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley in the Statehouse, Nedeau topped the only other bidder, a representative of Bass Pro Shops, at $16,001. Nedeau, who viewed the auction as illegal, was told the minimum bid would be $10,000.

Brad Loveless, secretary of the cabinet agency, said some claims of the poacher could never be confirmed and the auction was proper. Money paid by Nedeau for the rack was deposited in the Operation Game Thief account to reward people helping authorities convict poachers. Loveless personally handed over the antlers to Nedeau after last year’s auction.

Nedeau subsequently filed a claim with the state for reimbursement of the $16,001, a request opposed by the state wildlife secretary.

“The department has acted appropriately and followed the law with regard to disposal of evidence of a crime,” Loveless told the joint House and Senate claims committee. “Finally, the department‘s actions, even if negligence could be attributed, are discretionary functions and therefore are immune from liability under the Kansas Tort Claims Act.”

Nevertheless, Nedeau’s plea for repayment was slipped into the new state government’s budget. The governor pulled the trigger by signing the bill into law.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9405 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see how much money lawyers made out of this fiasco!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67318 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
man,,, he really wanted those antlers.

I guess it just goes to show if you got the stroke and enough on hand cash you eventually get what you want.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for Mr. Nedeau for not giving up.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad he got them back, they belonged to him in the first place. Just another typical over reach by the government.Thanks to a good man for helping out, we need more congressmen like this guy.

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
If game animals belong to the state, how is a poached animal the property of the landowner where the animal was poached?

Am I missing something?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
If game animals belong to the state, how is a poached animal the property of the landowner where the animal was poached?

Am I missing something?

Beat me to it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the state kept the animal

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And as it should

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here. the animals belong to all of the citizens of the state.

which is a feel good way of saying the state agency in charge owns it/them by way of being the custodians for the citizens.

it however does allow one [a hunter] to 'trespass' on private property to retrieve a big game animal without permission.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
man,,, he really wanted those antlers.

I guess it just goes to show if you got the stroke and enough on hand cash you eventually get what you want.

You saying the outcome wasn't just?

Edit: I posted this before seeing your subsequent posts. We differ in that I believe there should be limits on what the gov't can tell you what to do on your own property.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 252 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your property until you miss a couple of years of paying your property tax..
then you find out who owns what real quick.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Am I missing something?

I was thinking the same thing mate.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many years ago I read a story about a guy in Anchorage who for whatever reason thought it would be a good idea to feed the moose in his yard. He got a sternly worded letter from DNR informing him he was in violation of the law and, as moose are property of the state, he had no authority to feed them.

A few days latter a moose gets hit by a car and stumbled into his front yard and dies. He calls the guy who's name was at the bottom of the letter and says, Come get you moose out of my yard.

They promptly told him, that's YOUR problem.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:

Many years ago I read a story about a guy in Anchorage who for whatever reason thought it would be a good idea to feed the moose in his yard. He got a sternly worded letter from DNR informing him he was in violation of the law and, as moose are property of the state, he had no authority to feed them.

A few days latter a moose gets hit by a car and stumbled into his front yard and dies. He calls the guy who's name was at the bottom of the letter and says, Come get you moose out of my yard.

They promptly told him, that's YOUR problem.

It is theirs until they do not want it to be.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is theirs until they do not want it to be.

The episode exactly paralleled an amusing column I read in Smithsonian magazine 20 some years ago. Guy put flyers for his yard sale in his neighbors mailboxes, followed by a nastygram from the post office that that was a felony as mailboxes are sacred USPS "property." Kids later go through the neighborhood with a baseball bat smashing mailboxes from the bed of a truck, so he calls the post office and asks for a new one. They inform him that it is the "space" inside the box that is theirs, but it is up to him to supply the box. Bureaucrats are gonna bureaucrat.

From what I understand:
-living animals belong to the state
-dead animals killed illegally belong to the state
-dead animals that die naturally or accidentally may or may not belong to the state, depending on if they want it and it is advantageous to them or if they want to make it someone else's problem

In this case I don't understand why the landowner has a claim to the deer.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the big rack was hanging on the wall in the office of a state representative. Doesn't this make that state rep a poacher himself. If it doesn't belong to the land owner but state instead then it should have always been hanging in a prominent place for everyone to see in the DNR's main office or state capitol building not some reps office.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote